• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    Sure, there are things that could have been done, but it's a lot easier to determine what things could have been done in hindsight. It's easier to see the things missed after you've discovered what the missed things were.

But anyway, I'd like to get into the discussion of "evil" a bit more. And this is probably in a different context than what we're discussing here. I'm talking about a general attitude I see that that just blames it on "evil" without going deeper. I don't think "evil" is a particularly helpful description of what's motivating these kids. It is in an overgeneralized sort of cop out.

Okay fine. Every instance of people doing bad things to other people is "evil". Yeah, so what now? How does that describe the pathology? We need an understanding deeper than "evil". We need something more deterministic. There IS a cause, and I suppose people who don't care to think of it any deeper than "evil" can be satisfied with shaking their heads and tsking and promoting their pet causes and boxed solutions.

Dude got pissed because he was turned down by a girl, so he shot her? WTF?

Okay. So, most people are conditioned to handle rejection, at least enough that they they don't try to shoot people when they're rejected. So what's different about this kid? That question doesn't appear to me so difficult to figure out that we have to give up and call "evil". The solution doesn't seem all that simple, but it seems reasonable to me that discovering the causes shouldn't be difficult, if we can be honest about it.

We're (adversarial "we're") not honest about it when we use these shootings to pitch solutions for political goals, rather than solutions for the actual problem.

The anti-gun zealots try to lay the moral outrage at the feet of the NRA/gun owners. If moral outrage has a legitimate group to blame, a much better case can be made that the blame for why we can't figure out what is going on with these kids, belongs at the feet of people who insist that the problem is their political foil. I don't think it's a societal problem. I think it's an individual human problem.

But activists can't allow a sane discussion of the problem because it always has to be about the foil. Regardless of the availability of guns, or fortifying schools, or arming teachers with guns, or law enforcement doing their jobs, or properly detecting the signs that someone is about to shoot a bunch of people, there's a reason why that 14 year old kid couldn't handle rejection. There's a reason why he thought that shooting the girl who rejected him was the solution.

That reason is deeper than simply "evil". It's deeper than simply banning guns. It's deeper than all those other solutions which at best only attempt to provide a better reaction. The problem is deeper than "evil", but it's more possible to discover the cause when we allow it to be framed as narrow as it is. A 14 year old dude shot a girl because she rejected him.

I wish there was a like button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Greenfield police arrest 18-year-old, juvenile following threat made toward high school | FOX59

...GREENFIELD, Ind.- Greenfield police made two arrests after a threat was made toward Greenfield-Central High School's graduation rehearsal.

Investigators said 18-year-old Clayton Smith was arrested on a felony charge of conspiracy to commit intimidation and a 17-year old was also taken into custody, after they were accused of threatening to shoot up the Friday morning event.

It comes a day before graduation ceremonies and two weeks after the shooting at Noblesville West Middle School.

"We take these very seriously, as I said earlier, we are not going to blow this off as a joke. And it sickens me to think that someone may think that talking about conducting a school shooting or violence against anyone, whether it be at a school or any place else, is going to be looked upon any other way than very seriously and so we take this very seriously," Greenfield Police Chief Jeff Rasche said.

According to court documents, an officer received a message reporting someone told them they walked in on the two teens talking about shooting up the school during graduation rehearsal.

Court documents say when police interviewed the juvenile he "...said they talked about him having to go to commencement tomorrow. They discussed shooting up the commencement in a joking matter. Smith said he would do it for free because he doesn't like any of the seniors anyway. [The juvenile] said that he was also picked on a lot too. He didn't really like the seniors anyway."...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Greenfield police arrest 18-year-old, juvenile following threat made toward high school | FOX59

...GREENFIELD, Ind.- Greenfield police made two arrests after a threat was made toward Greenfield-Central High School's graduation rehearsal.

Investigators said 18-year-old Clayton Smith was arrested on a felony charge of conspiracy to commit intimidation and a 17-year old was also taken into custody, after they were accused of threatening to shoot up the Friday morning event.

It comes a day before graduation ceremonies and two weeks after the shooting at Noblesville West Middle School.

"We take these very seriously, as I said earlier, we are not going to blow this off as a joke. And it sickens me to think that someone may think that talking about conducting a school shooting or violence against anyone, whether it be at a school or any place else, is going to be looked upon any other way than very seriously and so we take this very seriously," Greenfield Police Chief Jeff Rasche said.

According to court documents, an officer received a message reporting someone told them they walked in on the two teens talking about shooting up the school during graduation rehearsal.

Court documents say when police interviewed the juvenile he "...said they talked about him having to go to commencement tomorrow. They discussed shooting up the commencement in a joking matter. Smith said he would do it for free because he doesn't like any of the seniors anyway. [The juvenile] said that he was also picked on a lot too. He didn't really like the seniors anyway."...

There were several seniors I did not care for at all. Never shot up the school.
    Ran into most all of them as life rolled by and I grew up. Many were friendly. The ones that remained butt heads were dealt with and most had no interest in engaging in the manly art. *****'s basically.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looks like a couple of idiots who thought they were being funny with each other. Seems most kids don't grow a brain until they are at least in their mid 20s. These days it might be their 30s

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    The 13-year-old police say shot a classmate and teacher at Noblesville West Middle School just made an initial court appearance. Open app to read the list of charges and what's next in the case.
    https://www.wthr.com/article/13-year-old-suspect-in-noblesville-school-shooting-faces-11-charges
    (Via WTHR)

The judge said the teen could be put in a detention center for up to 90 days for any offense.

So if he’s found guilty on all 11 offenses, he would get a total of 990 days(2.71 years)??? Am I understanding that correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    So do I take it that the 13yr old fired the .22 and not the .45?

Girl and teacher took 10 shots combined. Can't imagine those were .45cal. Had to be .22.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Girl and teacher took 10 shots combined. Can't imagine those were .45cal. Had to be .22.
    From what I understand the .22 was the only weapon fired.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The 13-year-old police say shot a classmate and teacher at Noblesville West Middle School just made an initial court appearance. Open app to read the list of charges and what's next in the case.
    https://www.wthr.com/article/13-year-old-suspect-in-noblesville-school-shooting-faces-11-charges
    (Via WTHR)

The judge said the teen could be put in a detention center for up to 90 days for any offense.

So if he’s found guilty on all 11 offenses, he would get a total of 990 days(2.71 years)??? Am I understanding that correctly?...

The 90 days is a reference to pretrial detention, not the sentence from a juvenile adjudication (trial).

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

But I read on INGO that getting shot twice with a .22 is equivalent the getting hit with a .44. So technically if she got shot six times with .22 then it's like getting hit three times with a .44.

I swear, look it up.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Heard about this today, thought y'all might find it interesting.

Might be released and required to be in rehabilitation….. you mean after 5 years they haven’t been doing that already? Keep him locked up forever, one less thing to worry about.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Heard about this today, thought y'all might find it interesting.

"During Wednesday's hearing, the judge told the shooter his "behavior will be scrutinized" and is concerned about the shooter's public safety and lack of remorse for what he did..."

They did nothing about this evil for five years. Now they are considering releasing it unchanged?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member