• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I agree we need to be aware of what our kids are doing electronically. I think bullying, especially through the social media avenues, are a huge contributors to these shootings. These outcast kids get bullied every waking hour, not just during school hours like the old days. It's relentless for them. And their parents are often un-aware, as are the parents of those kids doing the bullying! After the fact we tend to discover the shooters were reading about past shootings, watching videos about columbine, getting bullied, etc. ... after-the-fact discovery is too late.

mine are still younger, but we have had some very serious teachable moments already, and they aren't yet using social media. For instance, my son loves youtube. His current life goal is to be a "youtuber" like DanTDM (ie playing video games for a living and doing commentary). He gets youtube only when an adult is in the room (internet devices all have passwords and his tablets/gaming devices aren't connected). He has clicked off into "similar videos" on YouTube that are horrible, especially at his age.... sometimes it was over his head and he didn't get what was so wrong; sometimes what he saw kept him from sleeping for a week. That led to the "adult must be present" rule. As they get older, I'm sure that will get relaxed, though I best not see browsers minimized when I walk into a room or history will be searched....

And that's not the worst of the "teachable moments" we've shared already, by far. We're still at that point of trying to impress the difference between good online content and bad, good device usage and bad, etc. How do you have those teachable moments if you are oblivious to their activities?

Once the kids are older, should we trust they will do the right thing. Well yes.... however.... I'm a fan of the phrase "trust but verify." Maybe that means you have to be allowed to have the password to any device/account they have. Will you use it? Or will just the nagging thought that you could be that angel on their shoulder when they are tempted to go to the website they shouldn't or share the picture of themselves they shouldn't or say the mean thing they shouldn't...

Social media is the wild west. It can be hard for adults to navigate the scams, bullying, stalking, sexual predators, peer pressure, etc, let alone a teen or pre-teen.

Growing up my internet usage was limited... Limited how long the modem tied up the phone line, limited by the 28.8k dial-up data rates (man was that nice compared to 14.4... then in college I went to 56k and finally broadband wow!). I don't think I can compare how I was raised with internet to the way internet and social medial has been intertwined in our lives over the last decade or so....

my 2c.

parenting sucks. there is no "follow this guide to success" pamphlet included upon delivery of the kids. We just have to do the best we can and what we think is right....

-rvb

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Noblesville HS is having finals this week.

School has advised families that if a final exam brings down their grade, it will not be applied to their grade. If it brings up their grade, it will be applied.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Noblesville HS is having finals this week.

School has advised families that if a final exam brings down their grade, it will not be applied to their grade. If it brings up their grade, it will be applied.

Another trophy for not passing? This is another thing that's making the current generation weaker.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Another trophy for not passing? This is another thing that's making the current generation weaker.
    That is your take away from that? Not that a child could be traumatized enough for it to truly affect their ability to take a final, and the child should not be penalized for that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ya -
    Normally I'd agree but as excuses go, it's a pretty darn good one. :):

+1. If you get rattled to the point you cant concentrate, that is 150% understandable. Thats a huge thing for a kid to deal with. But if they can pull it together and actually do well, that says something about their character and resilience and should be rewarded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    +1. If you get rattled to the point you cant concentrate, that is 150% understandable. Thats a huge thing for a kid to deal with. But if they can pull it together and actually do well, that says something about their character and resilience and should be rewarded.

It's sort of right, in terms of competence. On the one hand the people who can't process what happened enough to still be able to do as well on the exams as they would have, don't have the full weight of that inability counted against them. But the people who can have the advantage of gaining from that ability.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    That is your take away from that? Not that a child could be traumatized enough for it to truly affect their ability to take a final, and the child should not be penalized for that.

Or just postpone it. Give them the whole week or 2. If this was equivalent to Parkland or Santa Fe, then yes, understandable, but this kid was stopped on his tracks and it ended pretty quickly. No casualties. Just my cent.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    As I understand it, the middle school is done, so they were off the hook in either case.

HS goes through Friday. Some HS kids did have siblings at the MS.

As usual, planet earth will reward those with more ice water in their veins.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    On second thought, you are right. However, when looking at their texts and internet sites, what are we expecting to find?

I doubt snooping on what your kid does helps. It just adds more walls on teaching your kid. It's the values that are thought is what gives more impact. Most of us grew not having parents hover over what we do but we were thought values. If my parents were helicopter parents, I'd detest them. One thing that's missing nowadays is the disciplinary actions, accountability of their actions that brings them down to reality. Humility is gone.

It's communication and implimenting rules as they're growing up. Just teaching the value and hardship of life. Parents setting as an example is also a big factor as kids look up to them. Each and everyone of us is a result of our experience with our parents.

Opportunities to teach, guide, and shape young thinking.

The Internet and all of the variant apps are equal to my dad dropping me off in Times Square as a young teen.

M

I missed a big one as to what we are looking to find I intended to include, and that is bullying.

M

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I missed a big one as to what we are looking to find I intended to include, and that is bullying.

M

We we're taught to fight back. My buddies kids were taught to fight back here in Indy. In fact my buddy's kid was bullied because he's small and being asian, instead that kid stabbed the bully's hand with a pen.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    As I understand it, the middle school is done, so they were off the hook in either case.

HS goes through Friday. Some HS kids did have siblings at the MS.

As usual, planet earth will reward those with more ice water in their veins.

The event happened in Middle school but the HS kids gets the pass.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    We we're taught to fight back. My buddies kids were taught to fight back here in Indy. In fact my buddy's kid was bullied because he's small and being asian, instead that kid stabbed the bully's hand with a pen.

Amen. Go out swinging is what we've taught our lot! "No ****ing surrender" is painted on the door here. LOL

Since the MS was done, I am assuming they would have gotten the pass, if school was extended into this week.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

No shooter, but the HS had a code red with SWAT teams all over the building.

Heck, the mayor doesn't seem to be able to handle the whole situation, I'll give the kids a pass.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Amen. Go out swinging is what we've taught our lot! "No ****ing surrender" is painted on the door here. LOL

Since the MS was done, I am assuming they would have gotten the pass, if school was extended into this week.

All Noblesville schools are still scheduled to go through the end of this week. Friday will be the last day.

Top Bottom