• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was just now able to watch the video on a monitor big enough to where I could actually see what was going on, watch the physical altercation (close-up part) 6 times and I don't see how this was not brutality. He didn't look even remotely combative before he was slammed. Even if he slightly flexed his arms when Officer Murphy grabbed him, there still wasn't going to be a "struggle" as Murphy is easily 4x as big as Frank.

With that being said, I've never heard of a high school that allows cell phones, so the guy filming didn't really have a leg to stand on when he was refusing to stop filming and hand over the phone.

I don't like being told what to do any more than everyone else in here, but phones can be used as cheating devises, so I understand why school officials wouldn't even want them inside of the building.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was just now able to watch the video on a monitor big enough to where I could actually see what was going on, watch the physical altercation (close-up part) 6 times and I don't see how this was not brutality. He didn't look even remotely combative before he was slammed. Even if he slightly flexed his arms when Officer Murphy grabbed him, there still wasn't going to be a "struggle" as Murphy is easily 4x as big as Frank.

With that being said, I've never heard of a high school that allows cell phones, so the guy filming didn't really have a leg to stand on when he was refusing to stop filming and hand over the phone.

I don't like being told what to do any more than everyone else in here, but phones can be used as cheating devises, so I understand why school officials wouldn't even want them inside of the building.

...and I thought I had been out of high school a long time. :laugh:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I watched the video from the school cafeteria and saw a cop throwing a violent temper tantrum. And seriously, the photographer getting harassed after 20 seconds of holding up his phone? Its like a scene from a prison reality show.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I turned mine on silent and left it in my pocket...I still don't know of any HS that allows the use of cell phones, but I don't ask around much.

BTW, you are over half a dozen years older than me. :):

Just be thankful you were not there at the time of bag phones. Try sticking that in a pocket...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maylay= teasing his sister?

It seems this event was blown out of proportion. What ever happened to 3 day suspensions and the ensuing 3 days of misery at home? Thank goodness we do not still write with quills with the required bottles of ink. I shudder to think of the charges brought against any boy who dipped a girls ponytail in the ink and the inevitable civil suit...

I am with 88GT on this. A parent runs the risk of violating any number of laws when disciplining their children yet this is ok when administered by a stranger at the direction of the school?

In the world of family, when school is over, sister goes home and tells mom that brother took her purse and would not give it back. Mom would get this resolved(personally I think that if brother wanted her purse so badly, then a trip to Walmart or the mall where he could carry it around for an hour during the heaviest shopping traffic might dampen his excitement for such behavior).

You deal with school kids much? Teasing? Maybe, I wasn't there so that is all it could be and in that case the officer was heavy handed. However, I've dealt with siblings "teasing" each other to the point one beats the snot out of the other or stab them or kills them. Don't underestimate the level of violence a school kid is able to inflict and how quickly they go from calm to full on assault.

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    He claimed to have told them he was recording, if he has that this should be a done case.
    If not then it turns into is there a reasonable expectation that the conversation is not being recorded.

The police, not even close as everyone would agree that calling the PD you'd expect the call to be recorded.

The school, MABEY they have a case, but when the guy calls looking for a statement I'd begin to think that's a possibility.

Will be interesting to see how the courts rule.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Just be thankful you were not there at the time of bag phones. Try sticking that in a pocket...

Bag phones and Hammer pants = same era. I know I always had my trusty Motorola with me at all times in the 5th grade. Man, I looked good back in the day with the Vanilla Ice lines shaved into my eyebrow and my shiny, gold Hammer pants.

Top Bottom