Adventures in wet tumbling. There's no going back!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    You'll want to use the SS pins. that's how the insides and flash holes get cleaned out.
    I made my own tumbler out of 6" drainage pipe a couple years ago and it works great.
    If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably just buy a Thumbler's Tumbler or something similar.
    One nice thing is that I also use the end of the belt driven shaft to run a World's Finest Trimmer. the RPM is just right and it trims very well.

22195bc2-c81e-4ccc-b303-9536cf3a36f7.jpg

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Glockman, take a pic of the placard on that motor if you would please. I think I have most of that stuff in my barn (somewhere).

Thanks.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    OK- You sold me... Used the HF tumbler yesterday for a couple batches. Deprimmed and sized so they were ready to be cleaned. Ran them for about 1 hour each (I know thats a bit long). Recipe was soft hot water, teaspoon of Lemi-shine, couple drops of Dawn Platinum and a squirt of Turtle Wax. Second batch, I used a squirt of Brasso instead of Turtle Wax.

AMAZING! I'm not going back to dry tumbling. Pockets are clean, case inside is cleaner. And its faster. Just rinse out and dry when done.

Here are some pics...
    IMG_20160814_174127 (Medium).jpg This was with a touch of Turtle Wax. They are in rows by head stamp.
    IMG_20160814_195149 (Medium).jpg These are all LC with a bit of Brasso. IMO, the Brasso looks better.

Thanks for this thread OP. I originally thought the notion of 'washing' brass would be a big hassle but it is in-fact not. Much easier than dry tumbling. :yesway::yesway:

:ingo:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Picked up 2 dehydrators at a yard sale yesterday. Dries the brass out quick!

Our building manager had an old furnace fan motor that he gave me. Working on a large-scale tumbler like Glockmans this weekend.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Picked up 2 dehydrators at a yard sale yesterday. Dries the brass out quick!

Our building manager had an old furnace fan motor that he gave me. Working on a large-scale tumbler like Glockmans this weekend.

I need to build a larger tumbler. I used the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler last night and while the results were impressive, there just wasn't much room in those little drums. I only used water and wash & wax because the SS pins I ordered are still on their way to me and I just couldn't wait. I will re-tumble when they get here to clean out the inside of the cases and the primer pockets. Adding a pound or so of pins in each drum will only make me want a larger drum all the more.

I may get a dehydrator if I can find one cheap. As I don't have one yet, I just put my cases in the oven to dry. I set the oven at 170 (lowest possible setting on my oven) and baked them for about 20 minutes. They came out bone dry.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I need to build a larger tumbler. I used the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler last night and while the results were impressive, there just wasn't much room in those little drums. I only used water and wash & wax because the SS pins I ordered are still on their way to me and I just couldn't wait. I will re-tumble when they get here to clean out the inside of the cases and the primer pockets. Adding a pound or so of pins in each drum will only make me want a larger drum all the more.

I may get a dehydrator if I can find one cheap. As I don't have one yet, I just put my cases in the oven to dry. I set the oven at 170 (lowest possible setting on my oven) and baked them for about 20 minutes. They came out bone dry.

Don't forget the detergent (Dawn/dishsoap) and softener (Lemishine).

I ordered 5 lbs of pins from guntap https://shop.guntap.com/stainless-steel-tumbling-pins-for-tumbling-5-lb-pounds and they included a sample pack of their (Lemishine) product.

If anyone wants to try some pins send me a PM.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I originally thought the notion of 'washing' brass would be a big hassle but it is in-fact not. Much easier than dry tumbling. :yesway::yesway:

I still don't understand how it's easier.?

W. my dry tumbler, every 3-4 loads I dump in a little polish. I toss in up to 1k-2k pieces, depending on caliber. occasionally I don't bother with the lid if it's not full. I turn it on. A couple hrs later I come back, turn it off, and sift out the brass and go load.

How is that harder than screwing with drying, water, soaps, etc? I can't possibly imagine my cleaning process being any easier, other than getting my kids to do it for me. Sometimes I have to change out media, that takes a minute or two I guess...

when doing a lot of brass, I put it on a timer. I dump in some brass, then it automatically runs while I'm at work the next day. I come home, sift out the brass and dump in some more. Takes 2 minutes. Next night when I come home, another batch is clean, and so on...

-rvb

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I still don't understand how it's easier.?

W. my dry tumbler, every 3-4 loads I dump in a little polish. I toss in up to 1k-2k pieces, depending on caliber. some times I don't bother with the lid if it's not full. I turn it on. A couple hrs later I come back, turn it off, and sift out the brass and go load.

How is that harder than screwing with drying, water, soaps, etc? I can't possibly imagine my cleaning process being any easier, other than getting my kids to do it for me. Sometimes I have to change out media, that takes a minute or two I guess...

when doing a lot of brass, I put it on a timer. I dump in some brass, then it automatically runs while I'm at work the next day. I come home, sift out the brass and dump in some more. Takes 2 minutes. Next night when I come home, another batch is clean, and so on...

-rvb

I don't personally think it is any easier/faster than dry tumbling. To me the advantage is it is a cleaner process, the stuff doesn't get in the air and all over the workspace. I also think it gets the brass cleaner, not that it matters all that much.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Don't forget the detergent (Dawn/dishsoap) and softener (Lemishine).

I ordered 5 lbs of pins from guntap https://shop.guntap.com/stainless-steel-tumbling-pins-for-tumbling-5-lb-pounds and they included a sample pack of their (Lemishine) product.

If anyone wants to try some pins send me a PM.

Would I need the Dawn and Lemishine when I am using a car wash/wax product? I'd think the soap in what I'm using would work fairly well. The wash/wax says it won't leave any spots on the car when you rinse and I thought that was pretty much Lemishine's job. Am I wrong here? It was my first time and I was just experimenting. If you all already have it figured out, I'd be silly not to go your route!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't personally think it is any easier/faster than dry tumbling. To me the advantage is it is a cleaner process, the stuff doesn't get in the air and all over the workspace. I also think it gets the brass cleaner, not that it matters all that much.

I run the tumbler in the garage....

There are the concerns of lead dust in the air.

and sift outside.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I can't justify $100+ on a jar that spins.

Same here. Thats why I'm using Glockmans diy setup as a model.

Regarding wet vs. dry... The steps in the process are probably less using dry. What I'm seeing are cleaner primer pockets and the fact that the inside has been soaped/rinsed out.

The Dawn and Lemishine(softener) I believe helps remove the crud better.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, there are a lot of designs out there. I just have to choose the right container for me.

I have the pins, but I forgot I only bought 2 1/2lbs. What is the pin to brass ratio? I want to size it right.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I made this switch last year too. I started with the tumbler from HF too. I quickly learned that 1. I loved wet tumbling, 2. I needed a larger capacity container, & 3. separating media sucks.

I used the HF for about 6 months then I bought the Frankford Arsenal tumbler on sale at Cabelas. Now I can easily clean 1000+ 9mm at time and about 1000 .223 at a time.

Top Bottom