• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Earlier this year I moved to a leadership position at my job, starting a new shift of welders. Like everywhere we are fighting the workforce issues but we are slowly getting guys in. I'm doing the hiring and have final say in whether or not they stay or go.

Here's a couple tips for someone just getting a job some where.

I dont care what you say you can do let me see it. Lying about what you can do will only set you back.

Your only job is to sell yourself to your boss and employer not be their friend or a brown noser.

If you are older than your boss dont try to use it against them to prove you know more or are better.

And for the love of god if you are my new guy and you never knew anything about welding before you took the class through work one dont correct me about stuff that is backed by science.

Theres my rant for the night if any one has anything to add as a rant or real advice feel free.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    507d17e122a656295ec3291bd68b9d1f--wrong-meme-love-my-job.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Lol, I work in a fabrication shop, and I know exactly what OP is talking about!
    I’m fortunate because I’m the old guy in a shop ran by young guys, but they actually listen to what I have to say about things!
    I have one welder that transferred shifts to be on mine that's been there since before I was born. I'm not too smart but I'm smart enough to know when to go to his area and ask help.

I had a new guy start as a temp a month ago that's done everything in the original post and then some. Yesterday I had another guy that's a decent welder that I tried to put with the other guy as partners on a job. But the month old guy was trying to convince him that he was our trainer all while effing up his stuff left and right. I absolutely hate letting people go but looking at it from a HR stance month old dude brings nothing to the table except bad parts and a bad attitude. I've tried to help him Improve his quality but I'm only 27 so I'm obviously and idiot.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Beware the guys that know everything, for they surely do not.

It is all but impossible for me to hire anyone right now. When no-nothings can get $15 at the fast food joint and $20+ at the DC's in this county I just can't compete.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Being a supervisor isn't necessarily about the job skills in the job. It's about people management skills.

Being a new supervisor who walks in swinging his junk around will only serve to alienate himself to those under his supervision - and probably those above him, too.

Being a good supervisor means knowing who does the amazing work and getting them to continue; while at the same time knowing those who need help; and getting them that help. And hopefully they choose to utilize that help vs. swinging their own junk around thinking they don't need help. Those who need help and constantly and consistently refuse said help - should probably be moved on elsewhere.

Further: Being a good leader / supervisor means that YOU take ownership for the team's shortcomings. And your TEAM or team member gets the credit and praise.

And bring doughnuts every few weeks.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    One thing that is definitely noticeable about the young guys doing the hiring is, most haven’t developed a knack for reading people yet. We’ve had guys come through our shop that instantly make me think “trouble”, and they ALWAYS prove to be, but the bosses were initially impressed enough with them to hire them. I’ve had this conversation with my boss, who is younger than a couple of my kids. He agreed that he needs to sharpen his spidey senses.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Being a supervisor isn't necessarily about the job skills in the job. It's about people management skills.

Being a new supervisor who walks in swinging his junk around will only serve to alienate himself to those under his supervision - and probably those above him, too.

Being a good supervisor means knowing who does the amazing work and getting them to continue; while at the same time knowing those who need help; and getting them that help. And hopefully they choose to utilize that help vs. swinging their own junk around thinking they don't need help. Those who need help and constantly and consistently refuse said help - should probably be moved on elsewhere.

Further: Being a good leader / supervisor means that YOU take ownership for the team's shortcomings. And your TEAM or team member gets the credit and praise.

And bring doughnuts every few weeks.

A supervisor / manager who is both good at managing people AND knowledgeable of the job is best overall, every time. My experience is that there is a severe shortage of "leaders" who are effective at managing people. That's why in a lot of places I've worked team leads are needed to do the work the supervisor / manager should be doing.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I was chief cook and bottle washer at a startup distribution center for a steel foundry. When we had no warehouse crew, i had to load the trucks myself - tons of castings. As my experience was in tech sales and data analysis, naturally my boss put me in charge of hiring :rolleyes:
    So when the purse strings finally opened I had a real strict process for warehouse guys: if I can drive a forklift better than you, I don’t need you. It was shocking / befuddling how a keyboard warrior like me was running forklift circles around 90% of these guys who did it for a living.
    That turned into a whole lotta 16 hour days for me. Salaried, of course.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    There’s a difference between a boss and a leader. I deal with a mentality that’s what are you going to do for me.
    Going from a Christian university to a “urban” workforce.. had to switch gears pretty quickly. I hire for my department and do orientation for all hires. It’s sad in this day and age.. no work discipline or dedication

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    There’s a difference between a boss and a leader. I deal with a mentality that’s what are you going to do for me.
    Going from a Christian university to a “urban” workforce.. had to switch gears pretty quickly. I hire for my department and do orientation for all hires. It’s sad in this day and age.. no work discipline or dedication

I agree, but at the same time, companies are often no longer dedicated to their employees, so some of that back from employees is only to be expected.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion

It is all but impossible for me to hire anyone right now. When no-nothings can get $15 at the fast food joint and $20+ at the DC's in this county I just can't compete.
    106.9 was saying Walmart DC had $30-$40 an hour jobs that they were hiring on the spot for. I have weekly meetings with the big wigs about recruiting and retention and every week I have to bring up the fact that they can get better jobs dang near everywhere. The only thing we have going for us is training.

Hopefully today I can move month old guy to another work station and get him trained there. Upper management wants him gone after they heard from every other welder about him. I'm just reluctant to let him go due to his living situation.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    On the positive side we're up 5 guys who work well with others and can talk the talk and walk the walk. With the exception of month old guy and my very first guy things are looking ok given the crappy circumstances

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just as many predicted, October was a big month for adding jobs. It's the effect of the special unemployment benefits expiring. Hopefully we'll see more good news from this month.

In 2019, there were 128,000 jobs added on October. It was 531,000 last month.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I would be presented with the question "Can you do it better?" my reply was well let's find out, but if I do it better I guess I don't need you.

As far as the places paying so much to get people in I wonder if they will start letting them go after the workforce fills up. I can't see even walmart DC being able to pay people $40/hr for long. Even if they are elecromechanics or some such.

Otherwise a head of lettuce is gonna be double digits.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I'm at the end of my career and went from years of being a supervisor, back to being a worker bee for more pay. Being the oldest and most experienced one in my office has it's advantages. I do good work and support my boss and coworkers with all my heart. I sometimes get to be the one to have hard conversations with senior management, about issues that are having a negative effect on the organization. I'm close enough to retirement that my temperment is less worried about pushback.

The work ethic of my 30-40 year old coworkers is the same as mine. We all agree that the young 20 year olds are a strange breed.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Earlier this year I moved to a leadership position at my job, starting a new shift of welders. Like everywhere we are fighting the workforce issues but we are slowly getting guys in. I'm doing the hiring and have final say in whether or not they stay or go.

Here's a couple tips for someone just getting a job some where.

I dont care what you say you can do let me see it. Lying about what you can do will only set you back.

Your only job is to sell yourself to your boss and employer not be their friend or a brown noser.

If you are older than your boss dont try to use it against them to prove you know more or are better.

And for the love of god if you are my new guy and you never knew anything about welding before you took the class through work one dont correct me about stuff that is backed by science.

Theres my rant for the night if any one has anything to add as a rant or real advice feel free.
    You forgot one

"I don't care how you did it in the military. You're here to do it the way the company wants it done"

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy

Exactly. Try hiring a warehouse guy for 14.50 a hour. Thats all they will let me offer. Even with great health care 401k and a super relaxed work place no one will take the job. They will accept the job they just won't show up.

Top Bottom