• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I pretty well agree with what's been written above. The only twist I would add is this; keep an eye out for a thaw in someone's attitudes. Surely, somebody in your family is not quite as anti-gun as the group dynamics have probably caused them to believe they are. If or when you sense somebody's curiosity about shooting, encourage them! Offer to take them shooting. Show them a good time. Like mentioned earlier, you won't be able to out argue them into changing their minds, but your example may trigger a change in their attitudes (pun intended).

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Thank you all so much. I can in to work this am, saw all these wonderful answers/ideas and I feel so much better and more confident. Head high and do what I need to.

I'm going to look into these safes that have been suggested. If I can find one this weekend, it is coming home. If not, you have given me some great websites.

You are wonderful people and I really feel welcome (and not quite so dumb). I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can. Know your advice has been taken to heart. I look forward to learning so much more!

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    I've had to battle it out with a few ex's over carrying firearms. I've learned just to let stupid people be stupid. Just stay within your legal limits. Laws are public. you can look them up online.
    On a side note:You owe it to your child to protect them. That means from the firearm as well as from intruders. Hiding something from a child only makes them want it more. Be open and honest with your child about firearms. guns aren't dangerous, stupid people are

+1. If I could rep you I would. I grew up around firearms and raised my three children around them. Being open and honest, not hiding them, and teaching my children what they were and what they could do took all the "mystery" out of guns. As far as my children were concerned guns were just another part of the house, an everyday part of life.

Kitty, One other thing to think about. I don't know what your experience level is but assume that it's very minimal because of the questions you ask. That wasn't meant as a put down, simply a statement. You might want to consider taking a few courses from one of the many firearms training professionals that visit these boards. It will not only teach you to use your gun properly and safely but give you a level of confidence in your new abilities that you may not be feeling now.

Last edited:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Yeah, I haven't figured out that "rep" thing yet. But thanks!!

Absolutely no offense! I've admitted from my very first post I know just more than squat. Training was my original reason for coming here. I haven't wanted to start a thread on it because there are so many. Trying to weed my way through. If someone knows something in NW IN, I'm an eager student!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ... I’d like to be able to go to picnics and holidays without feeling like a piñata. Any ideas of ways to deal/soften the matter?
    When you notice every one else picking up a stick, either pick up one of your own or leave. If you find yourself the only one in the group not holding a stick again, avoid those people.
    Also, can you lose custody in Indiana for owning a firearm with a child in the house? (Yes this has been mentioned – by both the wife and the ex)

Thanks!

Who knows? Ask the lawyers.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east

Absolutely no offense! I've admitted from my very first post I know just more than squat. Training was my original reason for coming here. I haven't wanted to start a thread on it because there are so many. Trying to weed my way through. If someone knows something in NW IN, I'm an eager student!

There is a training class with HandK, ladies only on June 4th.
    Look at the Thread - Training with HandK

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Click on the little weight and scales looking thing colored in white

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you all so much. I can in to work this am, saw all these wonderful answers/ideas and I feel so much better and more confident. Head high and do what I need to.

I'm going to look into these safes that have been suggested. If I can find one this weekend, it is coming home. If not, you have given me some great websites.

You are wonderful people and I really feel welcome (and not quite so dumb). I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can. Know your advice has been taken to heart. I look forward to learning so much more!

Looks like this issue has been well-covered, so I won't reiterate whats already been said. Just know that there are always people here willing to offer advice and help to anyone who needs it. Best of luck with the family, and with your son.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Just my opinion, but keeping the key on your key ring, you have to be careful about where you lay your keys. Do you have them with you when you shower? Do you ever leave them at home when you go somewhere and you are not driving? We have a keypad safe so no key laying around or hidden to be found.

When I was a kid I my parents locked their room, I don't really know why, but I knew where they hid the key so no matter. I also knew where they hid the pistol and 22 rifle and where they had the ammo locked, and where they hid the key to that.

They never knew that I took them out and shot them when they were not home (we lived in the country). The only time I shot the pistol I did not know how to hold it and cut my thumb pretty good. I also messed with the switchblade that was hidden and cut myself with it. Kids WILL find your hidden stuff if you leave them at home alone at all.
    This is why the only key to my lock box hangs around my neck. Sleeping, showering, whatever, that's right where it is. Oh, and I added an alarm to the box to. open it without disarming it will call the police.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    Just a side note on the kid thing- my children are 3 and 5, and the wife and I already discuss the dangers of our firearms, as well as the advantages. There is only one toy gun in the whole house, and when it is played with, the gun laws apply. Teach them EARLY!

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I say teach your child to shoot as well. Teach him the tecniques and tactics of the gun and what its used for, most importantly WHAT IT'S NOT USED FOR. You shouldNOT have to hide your second amendment right...... In all reality it's for the safety for you and your child anyways. My question to my parents(your mom and dad) would be, isn't it more dangerous, for many reason, not to have a firearm in the house:)

So who's the bad guy now :).

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Hey, Newbie here. I guess that equals stupid question time but I’m looking for ideas. My mom’s family and my dad’s wife are extremely anti-gun. So is my ex. They see no reason to ever own a gun, especially a handgun (their words not mine). And what makes me worse in their eyes is that I’m a woman who not only wants a gun, but wants to CARRY a gun. I’m endangering my son and asking for trouble.

I’ve always just chose not to be part of the discussions, it wasn’t an issue. Now that I’ve bought my Taurus and started the application for my carry permit, I feel like a kid with something to hide again. You know, like hiding your cigarettes from your parents when you’re 16? I’m fairly certain my dad would be supportive without the wife, but that’s not going to happen.

I know, I’m 40 and an adult but this is going to be an issue for me over the summer. Unless I want to go back to hiding things under the mattress. I know I have absolutely no hope of actually changing their minds, but I’d like to be able to go to picnics and holidays without feeling like a piñata. Any ideas of ways to deal/soften the matter?

Also, can you lose custody in Indiana for owning a firearm with a child in the house? (Yes this has been mentioned – by both the wife and the ex)

Thanks!
    IANAL but I would think that if you show that you are a RESPONSIBLE gun owner that the last issue and any others wouldn't stand a chance.

On the other hands, you can also demo safety and invite them to the range with you to answer any questions and show them your competency with said firearm.

On the other hand, if your kid or your wife is suicidal, they may have a point.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I had a similar incident with my inlaws years ago. I brought my pistol into their house showing my brother in law. Father in law about had a cow. But the main difference is the family is hunting oriented.
    But....the pistol issue , I was asked to never bring into their house again. My father in law was very vocal on being against pistols. Which that was fine, I never have again. His house, his rule.
    That was 10 yrs ago, since then when they come down,on their vacations, I go about my business as I would without them here. Openly display and have my pistols out of the safe, whether it be shooting them off the back deck or cleaning or whatever.
    But my father in law has seen how I am anal about safety with any gun, and has become so accustomed to my pistol passion, he actually asks questions about certain calibers, ect.
    But long story short, sometimes when you're not raised around something like a gun, but you hear nothing but bad news from the media ect you naturally think that owning something like a gun is evil esp if theres kids around
    Sometimes like in my case with my in laws, just time and displays of safety ect are a bigger boon than trying to discuss or argue the facts of gun ownership vs non ownership

mattnik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    From my experience (10+ years police communications) in most cases where people "lose custody" of their children, it's something they've done, not something they HAVE.

Keep your cool, ALWAYS. Document everything (carry a pocket recorder). Don't be afraid to assert your rights, and defend them with vigor. Don't cause scenes, swear or inflame any situation.

You want to be the coolest person of the group.

I also echo what's already been said. Safe storage and proper education for the older kids is also essential, IMHO.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Owning firearms should not be an issue in the vast majority of child custody cases, but, that doesn't mean some slimebag lawyer won't try to make an issue of it. I was asked, "Mr. XXXXX, do you have a pistol in your house?" To which, at the time, I truthfully answered, "No, sir." ;) He never asked about the rifles. Oh, how times have changed. I feel for you as I, too, am dealing with anti-gun idiots trying to make an issue of guns in my house.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Invite your anti 2nd amendment family to the next INGO get together ,we'll set them straight.I love shooting with my family & cant imagine not having the means to defend myself & loved ones if the need arises .I started teaching my kids responsible firearm handling when they where 10 & 11 & they both have defended firearm ownership defiantly (my youngest argued with a teacher in high school about the subject & actually swayed several students thinking on the matter as well as the teacher) Please purchase a proper firearm safe in the future a already been mentioned

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    SO... did you get your LTCH yet? And have you started carrying yet? Very few people know that I carry (ankle or IWB), so don't freak out about them knowing that you are carrying. Just don't carry in your purse...it's too easy to separate you from your purse.

Top Bottom