• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Didn't want to get sucked in here and avoided this thread as Im only 33. But have had a list of firearm, date made, serial, and market value for a few years now when my collection exceeded a dozen. I only have 4 firearms that have been in my family lineage since the 1920's and the wife knows where they go as does my cousin who would get the 2 from one side and my other cousin the 2 from the other. Told my wife to save a rifle, pistol, and shotgun for the boy and keep or sell what she doesn't want or give to the boy.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Seriously. I'm willing to help in the greater Indy area.

Many of us have spouses who just don't care one way or another. Many of us don't have any real-life gun buddies.

While my wife can take it or leave it, she chooses do not be interested as a hobby. I do have several good friends who can and will help out. One of them even knows where the safe combination is and about all the NFA items!

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    A neighbor of mine passed away a couple of years ago leaving behind a 100 gun collection acquired over fifty or more years. He told his wife she should give them to family members. So she did. It started with a gift of one rifle to a nephew and in short order long line of distant relatives formed at her door. She was overwhelmed by the entire process. Most of these relatives had not been in contact with him in many years. The vultures flocked in. What could have been a positive experience became a complete mess. She knew that they wanted free firearms and not something to remind them of her late husband. This could have been avoided if he would have been specific in who would receive the guns. It might have been easier on the wife if he had asked to have the bulk of the collection auctioned off and and the proceeds could have been privately controlled by the wife for her personal use or applied to a prearranged charity. It was an unnecessary stress put upon the wife.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A neighbor of mine passed away a couple of years ago leaving behind a 100 gun collection acquired over fifty or more years. He told his wife she should give them to family members. So she did. It started with a gift of one rifle to a nephew and in short order long line of distant relatives formed at her door. She was overwhelmed by the entire process. Most of these relatives had not been in contact with him in many years. The vultures flocked in. What could have been a positive experience became a complete mess. She knew that they wanted free firearms and not something to remind them of her late husband. This could have been avoided if he would have been specific in who would receive the guns. It might have been easier on the wife if he had asked to have the bulk of the collection auctioned off and and the proceeds could have been privately controlled by the wife for her personal use or applied to a prearranged charity. It was an unnecessary stress put upon the wife.

That's quite the warning to all of us to make sure we do our due diligence.
    Thanks for sharing that story! :ingo:

LilEnis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2020
    Boonvegas
    sure make you think. I do not know what happens to my stuff when I pass.my kid do not like guns she likes Hillary lol. maybe I will.call jeff tomorrow an tell him to bury it with me lol.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Why not give them away or sell them while your still alive and able. That seems like the best for all involved. I don't understand the holding onto the stuff until your dead or disabled.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Why not give them away or sell them while your still alive and able. That seems like the best for all involved. I don't understand the holding onto the stuff until your dead or disabled.

Depends on how and when you die. You might be using your guns right up until the end.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    The guy with the spreadsheet idea was definitely on to something. That and another person with the idea of finding someone trustworthy to be the executor (is that the right term) for the firearms.

jand1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Zionsville
    Great post here and a good example of why it’s important to list out who gets what in the event of your passing. Get a living will. It’s worth it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I hope my wishes will be respected and the family guns stay in the family and maybe some of the guns that were special to me that I bought are kept and become family guns to pass down.

Besides that I have only 1 other request that I've put into writing for after I'm gone. Do NOT sell to or let a gun shop or dealer get their damn hands on any of my guns or I will find a way to come back and haunt you forever.
    If you're gonna sell them you better get the most out of them and that will not be through a local shop. Period.
    I'd rather family vultures get mine than gun shop vultures

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    In your records, make sure you show what you paid for each gun and/or an estimated value of a build.
    In the event the family member wishes to sell them they would have a gauge of value so they can get paid for what they are worth.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The guy with the spreadsheet idea was definitely on to something. That and another person with the idea of finding someone trustworthy to be the executor (is that the right term) for the firearms.

Yeah I've got a spreadsheet with the description, serial number, location, and estimated value. My wife knows about it. In our will we've specified that everything goes to the boys; except if they're under 18 they go to my brother until they're 18 and have completed a gun safety course.
    A will is really a valuable tool, and they're relatively inexpensive.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I just don't get it When i die i don't give a **** what happens to them, I have enjoyed them and if i have not taught my offspring's my values SO WHAT they do is past my control

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just don't get it When i die i don't give a **** what happens to them, I have enjoyed them and if i have not taught my offspring's my values SO WHAT they do is past my control

I care about getting value from my guns or my sports car.
    Even though my family doesn't give a flip about my gun hobby.
    I want value from them for the my wife so she can "waste" it however she see fits, if not in a hobby, maybe some traveling.

Or, I have charitable things I would want to give to rather than things go for half value or less in a quick sale.

Just b/c I'm gone, I still want my "toys" to do some good.

As an example, I have a great sports car (Honda S2000), that I bought with only 9k miles on it back in 2010.
    The private sale value of that might only be about $11K - $13k (or $10k in a quick sale), but I know I can get $16K, and with the extra set of rims & snow tires ($300) & hardtop ($3500 - $5000), I hope to be alive & sell it myself to gain for the new clutch & other maintenance items I've done perfectly that a knowledgeable buyer will pay for.

I'm in a National Car Club (S2KCA) & selling on their site gets top dollar since people who know their value there will pay top dollar for one kept with love.
    If I did soon, & I haven't sold it, my wife will probably give it to my daughter to play with, then sell.

Top Bottom