• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    If you have a few choice pieces then listing their values is a good place to start. I am currently the co-curator of my FILs collection which will pass to us when my MIL no longer needs them.

In this collection are a few nice pieces and a lot of cheap ones. Selling guns is a lot of work unless the person selling them has a vested interest in the sale.

One option if you have a LGS that will commission firearms is to keep the list of prices and leave instructions to commission them (for a fee), what price to start at and when and how much to lower a price if it doesn’t sell. If your heir(s) follow your instructions they’re likely to get good prices for those guns without the burden of figuring out where and how to sell them.

I have sold several this way and feel it’s a good trade off for both parties. I don’t have to fuss with the sale and the LGS gets free inventory until they’re compensated for their shelf space and the associated paperwork.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been lurking in this thread and it gives me the reality that I should have a plan for what to do with my stuff should I leave this world before I'm ready. I admit this is a bit of a struggle for me. I don't have any biological children but I have 2 step kids that I have taken care of as my own for 19yrs, since the boy was almost 3 and the girl was 7 months old. My son and I don't share very many interests at all but my daughter and I are like two peas in a pod. My wife wouldn't have any interest in much of my hunting/shooting or racing stuff/tools etc. My hobbies just really don't interest her and she wouldn't know where to begin to dealing with it. I wouldn't want to set up a will and not divide stuff up reasonably equally. But the more I think about it the more I would like to leave something to my nephews as well but I just can't begin to think who might really appreciate what. No doubt if I pass in an untimely manner, my brother and dad would have to help in deciding how best to deal with my stuff. Again moatly because they would know better than any other family members what stuff is worth.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've been lurking in this thread and it gives me the reality that I should have a plan for what to do with my stuff should I leave this world before I'm ready. I admit this is a bit of a struggle for me. I don't have any biological children but I have 2 step kids that I have taken care of as my own for 19yrs, since the boy was almost 3 and the girl was 7 months old. My son and I don't share very many interests at all but my daughter and I are like two peas in a pod. My wife wouldn't have any interest in much of my hunting/shooting or racing stuff/tools etc. My hobbies just really don't interest her and she wouldn't know where to begin to dealing with it. I wouldn't want to set up a will and not divide stuff up reasonably equally. But the more I think about it the more I would like to leave something to my nephews as well but I just can't begin to think who might really appreciate what. No doubt if I pass in an untimely manner, my brother and dad would have to help in deciding how best to deal with my stuff. Again moatly because they would know better than any other family members what stuff is worth.

Simply ask all of them what they would like....

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Simply ask all of them what they would like....

Well that might work with my kids but my nephews are still too young to know what they would want.
    This is one of those things that takes plenty of thought.

I think my dad has had a clear plan for many years. Much of what he has, he has bought two of. If I was smart that's what I would do lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I die, which could be tomorrow or 50 years from now, guns will be the least of my wife’s problems. Life insurance, 401k, IRAs, house, truck, bank accounts, dealing with my nasty old cold carcass. Since I help out part time at the gun shop dumping the excess won’t be a problem. She knows to 1) call my buddy Brion so he can deal with those things that need dealt with. 2) let my son have whatever he wants to keep, which apparently is everything. 3) don’t throw out stuff in the garage like buckets of brass. 4) sell what’s left or give it away. Honestly the guns are bought and paid for and not eating anything.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I die, which could be tomorrow or 50 years from now, guns will be the least of my wife’s problems. Life insurance, 401k, IRAs, house, truck, bank accounts, dealing with my nasty old cold carcass. Since I help out part time at the gun shop dumping the excess won’t be a problem. She knows to 1) call my buddy Brion so he can deal with those things that need dealt with. 2) let my son have whatever he wants to keep, which apparently is everything. 3) don’t throw out stuff in the garage like buckets of brass. 4) sell what’s left or give it away. Honestly the guns are bought and paid for and not eating anything.

A pile of firewood, some gasoline... problem solved.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

My guns eat. In fact some them are outright pigs. :)

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I received some guns when my FIL passed away along with all his hunting stuff and tools. Almost 8 years later I've sold 3 guns, brought the hand guns home and the balance of long guns and ammo cans remain at the MIL's house in the gun room. I have my own collection that fills my safe on its own and limited secure storage. Too busy with other priorities to move them and deal with it. Hopefully i have another 30 years to worry about it later. One of my sons is into hunting and shooting so as long as that holds, my long terms plans much less complicated than some of the scenarios posted.

It is amazing "the people" that approach you after the death of a family member regarding their possessions and disposition, just makes you shake your head.

Top Bottom