• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Vice's Motherboard is running a 5 part story about what will likely happen when the Cascadia Subduction Zone in the Pacific Northwest cuts loose. It'll be like the Japanese event, but probably a bit worse, depending on where you are. This piece looks at the events as they unfold in Portland, OR. It's very well done and the author has quite a few footnotes with info.

Five Minutes | Motherboard

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Here in our area, we have the New Madrid Fault and Wabash Valley Fault Zones. Will have a huge impact on Indiana if they ever cuts loose.

gaslines1-argonne.jpg

CentralUS_seismicity2.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    And, with roads cut off you might be on foot, too.

I think this poses a direct threat to many people's bug out plan. I have a lot of preps in my primary dwelling, not so much in my bugout destination. The plan has been load up the trailer and head out. My bug out plan breaks down severely if I don't have a vehicle.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I think this poses a direct threat to many people's bug out plan. I have a lot of preps in my primary dwelling, not so much in my bugout destination. The plan has been load up the trailer and head out. My bug out plan breaks down severely if I don't have a vehicle.

That's what happened in the authors story for Portland. The people of the city were basically trapped and, due to coastal roads and mountain roads and bridges and such being destroyed by the quake there was no bug out option. Even though a place like Indiana has different topology the risk of roads being severed in a quake is real. I would be surprised if bridges and the like in Indiana are reinforced for seismic activity beyond basics.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If forced to bug out a vehicle is mandatory. Our plans hinge on this. No way we are packing out of here on foot.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Here in southern Miami County (just north of Kokomo) I have felt THREE earthquakes in the time I have lived here, which is since 2001. The New Madrid is definitely on my radar because if it cuts loose again like 1811 we are going to have a region wide disaster and a good chunk of Indiana will be in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here in southern Miami County (just north of Kokomo) I have felt THREE earthquakes in the time I have lived here, which is since 2001. The New Madrid is definitely on my radar because if it cuts loose again like 1811 we are going to have a region wide disaster and a good chunk of Indiana will be in it.

We have felt a few here in INDY.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Need different levels of bug out.
    Some for the car.
    Some for a pack.
    Primary and Secondary residences are probably needed also.
    Obviously you can't plan for everything, or afford it.
    You can just increase your odds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Need different levels of bug out.
    Some for the car.
    Some for a pack.
    Primary and Secondary residences are probably needed also.
    Obviously you can't plan for everything, or afford it.
    You can just increase your odds.

We have plans for most scenarios. Meet up points and places to Bug out to. The bug out scenario's involve mobility as there are children involved. They are the only reason we are still doing this. It is for their survival not so much our own.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I remember feeling earthquakes in Indiana as a kid. Nothing compared to the regular ones I felt in California in the summers. I think now we are a more connected world so you just hear about them more. Many disasters involve loss of power or other infrastructure that would interrupt trade, travel, comms, health care. I think if you prepare for those senarios your going to be ready as best you can. Clean food, clean water or the ability to make water, security, shelter, warmth, meds. Everything always goes back to the basics

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most of my prep revolves around loss of electricity for an extended time, having grown up rural with unreliable electricity it just seemed the thing to do.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    It's always good to be ready but let's hope it never happens. All joking aside. The destruction and loss of life would be incredible to the United States. It would take a long time to get back to normal. Hopefully an enemy would not set off a nuke to cause the same result.

Top Bottom