• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The author had people coming together to cope with the situation which I think would be the norm, something that seems to get played down in a lot SHTF discussion (Portland DOES have it's share of drug addled parasites though that didn't get a cameo role). It was also a grim reality check that most people were helpless and getting desperate waiting for .gov to come save them.

I had read a FEMA estimate that as many as 15,000 people might die. It was also said that a tsunami might funnel up the Columbia, bringing flooding to communities like Portland.

I think CM is right about needing a vehicle to bug out. 1) on foot, it's hard to carry enough rations/water to get far enough to make a difference 2) foraging wont be practical because you'd be just another "locust" in a mass of human misery who might have picked things clean before you got there 3) you'll need speed to avoid/escape a possible gun fight with gangs or people trying to defend their property/resources--and the vehicle will probably need to be 4WD

IMO bugging out is a last option for fleeing fires or floods

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes, but the house is well built, you never really know until it's tested though.

Most of my prep revolves around loss of electricity for an extended time, having grown up rural with unreliable electricity it just seemed the thing to do.

I like this strategy, combined with as many reasonable means as possible to "camp" and sustain fairly long term on property.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There is a on here about using a bicycle. You can ride it, or use it as a pack animal, and put the heavy stuff on the bike Just make sure to bring a patch kit plus extra tires and tubes. It can go almost anywhere you can.

Top Bottom