• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I first read your OP, Rachel, I got about half a sentence in and thought "Gunfacts.info", only to see Melensdad posted it.

I read Jennybird's posts to you and was nodding. In fact, I didn't see a bad post on here to this point (18 posts at this writing, not counting mine)

I can "hear" the frustration in your post as you type it, mostly because my own mother's question when I mentioned carrying one day on the phone to her was, "Why do you need a gun?", asked in a very disapproving tone. This question was often repeated. It is no longer, though her opinion has not changed.

What it comes down to is the following exchange, modified as you see fit based on her lead-in comment:

Mom: "I don't feel you should have a gun. They're just too dangerous."

You: "I'm sorry you feel that way, Mom."

Note that you've identified she feels that way and you do not. As you said, you're a big girl. You can dress yourself and if in the process of doing so, you clip an IWB holster onto your belt and slide a sidearm into it, that's not her decision, it is yours.

Parents sometimes have a tough time letting go of their mental pictures of us...especially of their youngest kids, I think.

I applaud you for doing your research and taking the time to formulate a good, valid decision.

Blessings,
    Bill

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    The NRA puts out a good magazine every month called women on target I think it has alot of great information in it if you join the NRA you get this free every month, If you want to join go to the Shooting USA web sight and it is only $25.00 dollers for a year, you get a $1000.00 gun ins your membership card also gets you a discount on perscriptions at wal-mart, just a few of the bennies. :thumbsup:

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Facts? Stats?

John R. Lott, Jr. wrote a book debunking a lot of gun myths. He draws on data from CDC, FBI, local law enforcement, etc. A bit dry but it is filled with hard data.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493644/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242421749&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws: John R. Lott Jr.: Books[/ame]

He has another book called The Bias Against Guns. (Half Price Books may be a good source for these two.)
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bias-Against-Guns-Everything-Control/dp/0895261146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242421848&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You've Heard About Gun Control Is Wrong: John R. Lott: Books[/ame]

The NRA has a monthly column called The Armed Citizen that gathers news clips from across the nation on normal citizens that have used guns in self defense.
    NRA-ILA ::

It also has a search function that may be useful.

Good luck.

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/5.0/GunFacts5-0-screen.pdf

Table 20 - Crime in the United States 2007

Table 15 - Crime in the United States 2007

hope these help.

but if all else fail when she asks why you want a gun, ( after all you are a girl) tell here because there are people out in the world bigger and badder than you are that will occasionally wish you harm. you would rather be prepared and not at the whims of other.

because you can't keep a cop with you all the time.

and becasue you are a sheepdog and not a wolf or a sheep

http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

syntax357

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Syracuse, Indiana
    When anyone asks me why I have a gun I always tell "Just In Case" You never know whats going to happen in this day and age. I keep begging my wife to get herself a gun but I kep getting the "I dont need one yet" speech

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    These facts alone should convince any rational person:

Fact: When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of rape attacks are completed, compared to 32% when unarmed

Fact: In 1966, the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms training classes to women. Rapes dropped by nearly 90% the following year.

Fact: You are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun. In episodes where a robbery victim was injured, the injury/defense rates were:
    Resisting with a gun 6%
    Did nothing at all 25%
    Resisted with a knife 40%
    Non-violent resistance 45%

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Rachel,

Pardon me for not readin through all the posts, I'm trying to save some time here. :) If its been posted I apologise. :yesway:

If you haven't heard of or read this, please do.

A DAUGHTER'S REGRET (SUZANNA HUPP)

:ingo: :patriot:

Oh wow. Thanks for sharing that. This quote really hits it out of the park for me:

"We have created a shopping list for madmen," she said. "If guns are the problem, why don't we see things occurring at skeet and trap shoots, at gun shows, at NRA conventions? We only see it where guns aren't allowed. The sign of a gun with a slash through it is like a neon sign for gunmen, 'We're unarmed. Come kill us.' "

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Rachel, keep in mind that your mother and sister are simply projecting their own fears onto your situation. When they ask things like "Why would you want to carry a gun?", what they are really saying is "I am scared of guns and would never carry one". Their reasons for not liking guns are fear- and emotion-based-- not logical. Tossing facts and figures might help a bit, but a total turnaround probably won't happen until they conquer their fear. And keep in mind that their fear might not necessarily be fear of guns, but perhaps fear of self-reliance or fear of conflict. Your choosing to carry a gun might be bringing up some ugly truths they don't want to face-- truths like "we're vulnerable" or "there are predators out there". Many people take the "ignorance is bliss" attitude and are content to stick their heads in the sand.

For a quick read, that hits on facts AND emotions, I recommend 40 Reasons for Gun Control

Good luck!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    oh and as most of us know the fastest way to remove the lack of experience, the fears, and all the other irrational things, is just talk them into a shooting trip, .22lr is all it takes, and let tem shoot at pop bottles or clay pigeons something that provides feed back with a hit

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks again for all the replies. They are rather helpful in this situation. And the links are all useful as well and are all saved to my favorites. :D

After reading this, it comes to my attention that I dont think I've expressed how much I LOVE THIS. I think everytime guns come into the conversation I tense up because I know what their reaction is going to be. Maybe if they knew just how important to me this was it would be different. I'll work on that next time. lol

The fact is, I'm small (tall...but still small) my arms have slim to no muscle and if someone was to walk up into my house and pick up my daughter, really there is nothing I could do about it. 125lb soak and wet...put that against a 300lb man, I'm screwed. Unless......:draw:

Like I've stated a MILLION times, I just want to know that my daughter is protected...I want to know that I'm protected. And I dont get why people dont get that! To me, it's ALL about my daughter....ALL. And if there is something I can do to assure her safety...I'm going to do it!

Thanks again guys. :rockwoot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I actually wouldn't bother trying to argue with family.

"Thank you for your input. I have studied the issue, and made my decision. Any further discussion isn't welcome, and will just lead to unnecessary family tension. So... how bout that weather today?"

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Like I've stated a MILLION times, I just want to know that my daughter is protected...I want to know that I'm protected. And I dont get why people dont get that! To me, it's ALL about my daughter....ALL. And if there is something I can do to assure her safety...I'm going to do it!

Guns are dangerous, but so is rape and kidnapping. Show your family that you are a responsible and safe gun owner and over time they might ease up. A trip to the range, as Jeremiah suggested, is an excellent idea as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Oh, and as for taking a woman's gun and shooting her with it.... would you want to try?

IDareYou001.jpg

Chamber usually isn't (triple checked) empty, either. Photographer just didn't feel like getting shot!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    It appears to me that not only is that sidearm unloaded (j/k as it should be) but putting your pistola that far away from your body with an attacker so close you just asking for it to be taken from you! Try tucking into your hip and using your weak hand to swat the "bad guys" away!!!

This is all satire of course, but still a good lesson!

116PG082108g1.jpg

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I love the idea of your getting a gun , I wish more women/people weren't scared of them .

To me a gun is just another mechanical machine , no different than your car or lawn mower . Unless your careless , there not gonna do anything you don't want them to .

Your car can be used against you , but I bet their not scared of them are they ? Your lawn mower??? :D Well maybe if your REALLY slow , but you get the point .

Anyway good luck with however you choose to deal with them , just don't be a gun Nazi and shove the facts down their throats .:smileak:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It appears to me that not only is that sidearm unloaded (j/k as it should be) but putting your pistola that far away from your body with an attacker so close you just asking for it to be taken from you! Try tucking into your hip and using your weak hand to swat the "bad guys" away!!!

This is all satire of course, but still a good lesson!

If a woman, or a smaller guy like me, tries putting a hand out to swat a bad guy away, they are simply going to be grabbed by that arm and pulled closer. Then have their gun taken. We simply cannot win any close range physical confrontation like that with any reliability.

Try taking a gun from a person in the state Cathy is in in that picture... but with her starting finger on the trigger, which is where she would be. Again... photog took enough chances taking that pic LOL. You won't succeed.

Top Bottom