• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Hey guys, question for you.

If you dont know me, im 20 years old. My birthday is april 17th, so I will be 21 soon. Ive grown up with guns since I was born. In fact the first time I shot a goose/rabbit, I was either 4 or 5. Im an avid hunter and I just freakin love everything about guns.

Now im not mr. 50 years of experience, I learn something new every day, but I feel like I could hold my own as far as "experience" goes. Especially compared to your average non gun person.

I will have my LTCW soon and I plan on CC 99% of the time. However, what do you think the reaction will be in public if I OC due to my "youngness".

If I saw some 30+ year old man OC I would think either, hes a responsible adult or a cop. If I switch the rolls and saw a 21 year old kid walking around OC I would probably be a bit more concerned. (personally I wouldnt be, im saying for the mass population who grew up with the the anti-gun media or misinformed parents)

What would I say to people? What do you think the probability of talking to cops daily would be?

I hope this question doesnt get asked a lot and if it does im sorry. I just would like to know.

THANK YOU!
    :patriot:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I think that attitude/dress/demenor have a lot more to do with peoples reaction than age.
    If you're wearing nice jeans and a clean shirt I would notice you less than if you're wearing ratty, dirty clothes.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    So...how DO gangstas wear an IWB holster while saggin'?...ok off the subject, sounds to me like your parents did a pretty good job with you, I like that you say that you learn something everyday!! glad to see you don't know it all!!!! Good Luck and God Bless

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Know that you should be carrying and I think you'll be surprised how many people pick up on that more than your age.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Im very proud of my parents. Id be lucky to be half the man my dad is. I try my best everyday to make them proud as well.

Im not worried of looking gangster/suspicious, im worried of looking inexperienced or "juvenile" to people who wouldn't trust a gun unless its carried by a 50 year career cop.... (let alone a 21 year old). I hope you understand what I mean, its kinda hard to word lol.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would say you better CC 100% of the time.
    People get scared when they see someone with a gun without the police uniform to go with it.And that doesnt matter how old the person is.
    You cant change people's mind no matter how you dress and how you try to look mature and everything.
    Either you OC and you have to be ready to deal with people's judgement and maybe having the cops called on you for "young kid walking down the street with a gun".
    Or you CC and you dont worry about all that.
    That's the only true solution I see.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I would say you better CC 100% of the time.
    People get scared when they see someone with a gun without the police uniform to go with it.And that doesnt matter how old the person is.
    You cant change people's mind no matter how you dress and how you try to look mature and everything.
    Either you OC and you have to be ready to deal with people's judgement and maybe having the cops called on you for "young kid walking down the street with a gun".
    Or you CC and you dont worry about all that.
    That's the only true solution I see.

I agree with what youre saying. Like I said, im going to be cc 99% of the time. Ill probably try OC though, I dont know. Call me a rookie or whatever, but I always like to try new things. Its not so people see me with one, im not trying to be "cool", I just want to try it.... you know?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree with what youre saying. Like I said, im going to be cc 99% of the time. Ill probably try OC though, I dont know. Call me a rookie or whatever, but I always like to try new things. Its not for people see me with one, im not trying to be "cool", I just want to try it.... you know?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I know what you mean.You can just try to OC for a day or a week or for as long as you want.
    Even in the worse scenario if people call the police on you, you have nothing to fear if you carry legally.
    So you may as well try it. :dunno:

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    first off congrats for joining the family but to respond to your question im 21, and have been carrying since i was 18. however I am a military police officer in the guard so I to have come across this question while in public in civies. i oc most the time just because its how im used to wearing it. but its all about what your comfortable with. your attitude and how you carry yourself will suprise people more than your age. Ive had people ask me if I was a cop while carrying just because of how i carry myself. the advice i would give you is try both and see what fits your more. if you oc be careful because it makes you a target in certain situations, but at the same time it could save your life becuase most people will not engage you if they notice your carrying and you look proffesional. good luck remember if your willing to carry your willing to use it if you need to.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    When I first got my LTCH, I OC'd about half the time I carried. I have switched to CC but only because I started training like that. I carried at 3o'clock in an IWB but not covered. I wore jeans and a polo shirt and was seen by 3 different police agencies at 3 different times with no interaction from the officers. The only time I've had someone say something negative was at a laundromat and it wasn't anything major.

By the way, I'm 22...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been OC'ing for about two years now. I look very young, even for 24.

I've never once gotten a negative response from OC. Everything has been positive conversation from other gun owners. Otherwise, people just don't care.

Now, if you're wearing a torn up t-shirt and crappy jeans? You might have issues. I'm usually very professionally dressed with slacks and a dress shirt. I don't know if that helps, but it may.

Essentially... My personal experience as a "young OC'er"? Very positive.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Seriously don't worry about your age.

Laugh at any "experienced" person who tries to tell you that your too young to carry a handgun.

I'm 27 and still have people asking me where my dad is when I'm fueling my truck. (I'm a truck driver) Most of the other drivers are surprised to learn I have more experience then them, then I chuckle as I climb into my big 379 Pete.

Not all but a lot of people will treat you like a kid if you look young. Laugh at their ignorance and move on, or do like I have done quite a few times now and tell them your way younger and freak them out. :D

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    or do like I have done quite a few times now and tell them your way younger and freak them out. :D

I LOVE IT! Although ill probably leave that joke up to you haha. Im not worried about getting the cops called, just dont want to deal with it. Last thing I need is a witness saying I said I was 15 hahaha

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Man I'm 18 and still in high school and i oc everyday "not at school" I almost never have any runins' with the law because of my oc. Hell most of the time when i oc im still in my school uniform and have my school id on.

Top Bottom