• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tat2dman46013

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Anderson
    Because Muncie has alot of the hood,I work a lota nights there...now b4 ya get your shorts in a wad,yeah Anderson does to.Just a sign o the times.Worked for bondsman in both.But between the 2 Muncie`s the $ maker.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would say go for it I do not think that you will have daily experiances with cops :twocents: if you are, you are doing some thing wrong.... 99% of the time no one will notice. but dressing decent does help to.

btw im 24 now but started to oc ocassionally when i was your age

side note also had no problem getting the sheriff to sign my class 3 forms

i think age has very little to do with it its all about how you act and to be honest look, first impressions mean alot

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm 22 and have been carrying since I was 19. I too grew up around guns and know quite a bit for someone my age. I OC/CC depends on my attire, and time of the year. Now I am usually clean shaved, or sometime sport a goatee or sideburns, and during winter/hunting season a full beard. But I usually dress somewhat nice, and don't go around acting like a BA when out in public, or try not to do anything to draw attention to myself. That being said, I have never had any problems or even been addressed by anyone when out in public. I would say I CC about 80% of the time and OC the other 20%. When I first started carrying, I OC'd about 95% of the time just because of the comfort, but after getting a few more handguns, and a nice CC holster (Crossbreed Supertuck) I CC a lot more now.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I OC'ed 90% of the time when I lived in the Ft. Wayne area. I've never had the Police called on me and have never been asked to leave anywhere. I got the stares from people from time to time but other than that I've never had a problem.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Here is my opinion, take it for what it's worth:

How people react to your OC will vary depending on many things, your age however will be a minor factor. There are factors you CAN control, and there are factors you can NOT control.

Things you CAN control:

1. KNOW LOCAL HANDGUN LAWS. I put that in all caps for a reason. YOU need to know your local handgun laws, where you can/cannot carry etc. and be CONFIDENT that you know them. I am always SURE I know that when I carry I am legal. Others may try to tell you that you are not, but if you know the laws perfectly, then you don't have to doubt that you are within your legal rights.

2. Don't be a dick. When you are carrying, you may have some people on "edge" by seeing a firearm. You don't have to be overly "gooshy" out of the way super nice (although sometimes it doesn't hurt) but don't be a jerk either. I personally open doors for people and say hello to strangers, but I do this whether I'm OC'ing or not. I grew up in a small town, so it's part of my nature, that being said, I've had more positive OC experience than negative.

3. Be mature. While you are young, let people see a confident and mature young man, rather than a kid goofing off acting silly while carrying a firearm. I'm all for everyone exercising their right to carry, but a group of younger people running around acting "silly" while carrying would make me nervous. A young man carrying a gun acting mature and I wouldn't even think anything of it.

4. Be respectful. If someone does question you about your firearm, since you will have done #1 and know your local laws, you can POLITELY inform them you are within your rights. While yes, it can be an inconvenience, it's better to be polite and help put them at ease. Sure it might not be any of their business, but I think it's worth the effort to help those who don't know (and aren't being mean about it) understand you are doing something within the law.

Things you can NOT control:

Basically just one. Some people are terrified of guns. No matter how nice or polite you are, they will still be pissed about it. If this happens, don't be a jerk, just move along. Don't be a jerk to police if they get called, just calmly talk with them and produce your LTCH.

You will hear stories of OC that lead to horrible interactions with LEO and what not, but I have only ever witnessed this once, and it was a huge hassle, but still everything ended fine.

Just stick to these guidelines and you will be fine.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I started carrying last year, a few months after I turned 18. I have OCd since day one and never had any issues. I have had a few "Are you a cop?" comments, but other than that, nothing major. I think the way you carry yourself, and how you look will determine it. Im not saying looking older/younger will have a difference, I am talking about the difference between being clean cut and dressing "gangsta" or wearing all black with some death metal tshirt. Even still, I have been known to wear skinny jeans and a band tshirt and not get any funny looks.

Dont over think it. You are legal, and if anyone asks, explain to them the laws politely and be done with it. If someone gets freaked out and calls the police, you shouldnt get any extra hassle because of your age, and the person calling probably isnt calling about your age but rather your method of carry.

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm 24 but look younger when I shave. I frequently OC around the Fort Wayne area and have had no problems what so ever.Just the occasional stares, but that comes with the terrtiory. As has been stated, it's all about how "carry" yourself and act. IF you look/act like you're squared away, you should have no problem.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Awesome guys. Youre really putting me at ease here. I figured I would run into more problems than described. Now all I have to do is wait for uhhh (its been 2 weeks) 2-6 weeks. :/

I think having my gun and not being able to carry it is the hardest thing to bear.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think having my gun and not being able to carry it is the hardest thing to bear.

Many people seem to forget just how restrictive Indiana's handgun laws are after they get their pink permission slip.

In many ways it's worse here than in most of the "bad" states for a non-licensee.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I think I understand what youre saying

If you have the pink slip youre probably among the most free states.

If you dont youre getting punished more than the "bad" states.

I cant complain though. Id rather have strict rules for people breaking the law and leniency for those who abide by them.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Keep your "Guns don't kill people I DO" T-shirt in the closet when you OC!
    Thanks OAK! Now I know why I get hassled all the time OCing ;)

But seriously, there has been some good advice in this threadand if you don't mind the "are you a cop" crap, you should be good to go.

Top Bottom