• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think I understand what youre saying...

You do get it, but I'll contrast your final statement with my take:

I cant complain though. Id rather have strict rules for people breaking the law and leniency for those who abide by them.

I'll still complain.
    Indiana has created these strict rules to make the public carry or transport of handguns illegal, infringing on my natural right to peaceably do so.

There are already laws in place to keep me from using a handgun in any sort of criminal way.

To be excepted from this trivial law, I must pay for a permission slip.
    That's not leniency for doing something otherwise wrong, it's just extortion to bypass the strict rules they put in place.

Sorry for the tangent. This is a great thread and I don't want to steer it off course.

Glad to see so many young open carriers with no reported issues - the way it should be. :yesway:

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I'll still complain.
    Indiana has created these strict rules to make the public carry or transport of handguns illegal, infringing on my natural right to peaceably do so.

There are already laws in place to keep me from using a handgun in any sort of criminal way.

To be excepted from this trivial law, I must pay for a permission slip.
    That's not leniency for doing something otherwise wrong, it's just extortion to bypass the strict rules they put in place.

Youre exactly right. I never thought of it like that. Like I said, im new to carrying handguns. Im glad I have people like you showing me the way.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Awesome guys. Youre really putting me at ease here. I figured I would run into more problems than described. Now all I have to do is wait for uhhh (its been 2 weeks) 2-6 weeks. :/

I think having my gun and not being able to carry it is the hardest thing to bear.

Did you do the L1, or did you do ink prints? If you did ink prints, search around here about converting to L1, or send me a PM and I will explain the process. I dont know how backed up they are now, but when I did mine they were pushing the outside edge of 3 months. When I refiled with L1, I got my license in 12 days as opposed to the 14 weeks it took for my other app to come back.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Awesome guys. Youre really putting me at ease here. I figured I would run into more problems than described. Now all I have to do is wait for uhhh (its been 2 weeks) 2-6 weeks. :/

I think having my gun and not being able to carry it is the hardest thing to bear.

It seemed like forever waiting for mine. I took the opportunity to learn as much as I could about the gun and safe and proper handling while I waited. I learned so much just browsing these forums! I also carried around the house to get used to feeling. That way, once the license comes, you aren't shifting it around and playing with it in public.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I've carried sense I was 20. Yes, I OC'ed when I first started to carry. OC your first time in an non OC friendly place and then the rest of your carry career is cake. My advice reguarding age is the following:

1. Dress well
    2. Groom your facial hair well
    3. Be polite
    4. Be CONFIDENT about carrying
    5. Also, if being polite is getting no where don't be afraid to tell them to get their head out their butt and the politely withdraw from the pissing contest of pro gun vs. anti gun.
    6. Don't argue with idiots.
    7. Wear your gun with PRIDE. You are a good law abiding citizen.
    8. Keep your gun's appearance as clean and good as yours. Nobody likes a dirty gun.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Im not worried of looking gangster/suspicious, im worried of looking inexperienced or "juvenile" to people who wouldn't trust a gun unless its carried by a 50 year career cop.... (let alone a 21 year old). I hope you understand what I mean, its kinda hard to word lol.
    Be careful what you wish for. On the other end of the continuum, they look at you and wonder if you should be carrying once they're convinced that the dimensia has set in. :D
    I'd trade the 20 YO looks, strength, and steadiness for "that mature look" anytime.
    Just the fact that you are asking the questions says you probably won't have much of a problem.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Did you do the L1, or did you do ink prints? If you did ink prints, search around here about converting to L1, or send me a PM and I will explain the process. I dont know how backed up they are now, but when I did mine they were pushing the outside edge of 3 months. When I refiled with L1, I got my license in 12 days as opposed to the 14 weeks it took for my other app to come back.

I went to the fort wayne police department. Im assuming thats the prints. This will be the 3rd week now. I have no idea what L1 is or how to do any of that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    :cool:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I went to the fort wayne police department. Im assuming thats the prints. This will be the 3rd week now. I have no idea what L1 is or how to do any of that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    :cool:

L1 is the electronic fingerprinting method where you apply on the isp.in.gov website for your LTCH, then go to a 3rd party place to be fingerprinted.

If you go the L1 route you have your LTCH in 2-4 weeks. If you went in and did the paper and ink fingerprinting you are looking at 3 months + on getting your LTCH.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Im in the same boat being 24. I just want a gun in the car and at home. I cant carry at work. I dont plan to actually carry on my person, rather then have a firearm in the places I am the most.

Will0369

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Westfield
    I would say that you have to own your appearance. The more you carry yourself in a non threatening manner, the easier it will be to bypass you having a firearm on your hip. Just always remember that it is a privelage to live in this country and to freely own and bear arms. It is a grave responsibility that you take upon yourself as you transition from sheep to sheepdog, and you must not take your responsibility lightly. Get some training, and your best bet would be from DPG, or dignitary protection group. Their prices are extremely reasonable, and you will always benefit from new ideas and prospectives.

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    L1 is the electronic fingerprinting method where you apply on the isp.in.gov website for your LTCH, then go to a 3rd party place to be fingerprinted.

If you go the L1 route you have your LTCH in 2-4 weeks. If you went in and did the paper and ink fingerprinting you are looking at 3 months + on getting your LTCH.

I went the L1 route and had everything filed with Fort Wayne PD the same day and had my LTCH in 4 days! 3 of those days was spent on it arriving in the mail. I noticed the issue date was the very next day from my file and fingerprinting. Needless to say, there are benefits to using the all electronic method even if L1 does charge almost $11 to do thr prints.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    My question is... if I already did everything through fwpd how do I do the L1, or is it too late? I got my lifetime, so I guess I wont ever have to go through this bs wait again unless I move to a state that I need a different permit for.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    No. You are set. Have a little patience and you will be fine. Even if you did repay all of the fees, you might actually cause problems with the approval process with two submissions. Not worth it. That 3 month estimate was way off base. It was that bad at the height of the gun rush 1-2 years ago, but is much less painful now.

If you haven't already, read the FAQ about what to do with the LTCH when you get it. You won't want to mess it up as soon as you get it and end up with no good options to fix the actual document.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    No. You are set. Have a little patience and you will be fine. Even if you did repay all of the fees, you might actually cause problems with the approval process with two submissions. Not worth it. That 3 month estimate was way off base. It was that bad at the height of the gun rush 1-2 years ago, but is much less painful now.

Thats what I figured. Bureaucrats can barely do things right the first time, let alone twice! hah.

Im just going to be patient. Im not a praying man (like at all), but shoot one up to the good lord for a speedy delivery of my little pink piece of paper. LOL

All you do is sign it first and laminate it right... dont see how anyone could mess that up.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Edit: just read it. Thanks for the info. Ill be making copies when I get it.

Last edited:

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Edbean,
    I'm somewhat young person (24) and I hardly get hassles while open carrying. I also dress well when carrying. Shorter hair, nice shirt, nice pants, shaved, Smelling good. Looking good. Now if i could just get me a good looking holster id be set. Most people will mistake you for an officer and leave ya be.

Dress like a gansta or a punk, and you will be hassled.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am 21 and CC or OC EVERY day I am also clean shaven due to work policy so I look pretty young. As long as you don't look like the kind of person that you would be uneasy around people usually don't say anything or give you any bs. Cowboy boots and camo probably make it a little easier on them to understand too.

Top Bottom