0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Anyone see this?

-----

USDA Declares Half Of Midwest As Agricultural Disaster Area

http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/1...idwest-as.html

November 13, 2009

by Eric deCarbonnel

The graphic below shows counties designated as disaster areas by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (data from the USDA. See http://www.fema.gov/dhsusda/searchState.do). It speaks for itself.

http://www.rowaytonrentals.com/Rando...sasterv2v2.PNG

Recent USDA Disaster Declarations

Southwest Farm Press reports that counties in Kansas designated as disaster areas.

(emphasis mine) [my comment]

Counties in Kansas designated as disaster areas
    Nov 12, 2009 9:52 AM

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has designated Cheyenne, Rice and Sherman counties in Kansas as primary natural disaster areas because of losses caused by high winds and hail that occurred from July 17, through September 3, 2009.

"President Obama and I understand these conditions caused severe damage to the area and serious harm to farms in Kansas and we want to help," said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. "This action will provide help to hundreds of farmers who suffered significant production losses to corn, dry beans, sorghum, soybeans, sunflowers and wheat, as well as grasses and forage."

The Farm Service Agency reports that USDA Designates 10 Counties in South Dakota as Primary Natural Disaster Areas.

USDA Designates 10 Counties in South Dakota as Primary Natural Disaster Areas
    Decision Allows Farmers and Ranchers to Apply for USDA Assistance

WASHINGTON, Oct. 16, 2009 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture designated 10 counties in South Dakota as primary natural disaster areas because of losses caused by the combined effects of severe storms with hail, high winds, flooding and grasshopper infestations, which occurred during the period of Jan.1,2009, and continuing. The ten counties designated are Aurora, Brown, Custer, Fall River, Gregory, Hutchinson, Jackson, Marshall, Mellette and Yankton.

“President Obama and I understand these conditions caused severe damage to the area and serious harm to the farms in South Dakota and we want to help,” said Secretary Tom Vilsack. “This action will provide help to hundreds of farmers who suffered significant production losses to forage and pasture, corn, oats, sorghum, soybeans, sunflowers and wheat.”

Farm And Ranch Guide reports that six northern Minnesota counties designed ag disaster area.

Six northern Minnesota counties designed ag disaster area
    By USDA
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:49 AM CDT

On Oct. 8, the USDA named six counties in northern Minnesota as primary natural disaster areas. Those counties, Kittson, Koohiching, Lake of the Woods, Marshall, Pennington and Roseau, were named because of losses caused by the combined effects of excessive snow, rain, flooding, flash flooding and unseasonably cool temperatures, as well as frost and freezes that occurred from April 1, 2009 through June 30, 2009.

In making the announcement, USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack said, “President Obama and I understand there conditions caused by severe damage to the area and serious harm to the farms in Minnesota and we want to help. This action will provide help to hundreds of farmers who suffered significant production losses to alfalfa, barley, canola, corn, oats, rye, soybeans, sunflowers, wheat and forage crops.”

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I was starting to wonder about the corn around here. There are still entire fields standing and the forecast is calling for more rain. Things don't look good.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I was starting to wonder about the corn around here. There are still entire fields standing and the forecast is calling for more rain. Things don't look good.

My house is surrounded by corn still. The guy down the road just cleared a bunch though. Scarey stuff. Prices will skyrocket, for sure.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Of course prices will skyrocket - corn has been subsidized at the cost of pretty much everything else, thanks to so-called 'ethanol-fuels' like E10 and such...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Most of our corn is sadly still up. Its mostly cause it was such a late planting season, and this fall has been too wet for it to dry out properly without having to dry it in a grain dryer. We have a dryer, but haven't gotten the spot where dad wants to set it up properly done with a concrete pad like he wants. So we've been waiting on it to dry naturally so we don't get docked at the elevator. If you take in grain that is too wet, and they have to dry it, you get docked a pretty good chunk out of what you get paid. Plus we've had some other probs with equip so we haven't been able to get things out as fast as normal.

And btw ETG, remember some years back when prices were so low cause of the huge surplus there was in both soybeans and corn? You have no idea how many of us farmers lost money during that time. And still with fertilizer, seed, and chemical prices its hard some years to break even. Even with the biodiesel, and ethanol helping the prices up a bit. Prices on those products, especially seed and fertilizer have doubled and even some tripled in the past couple of years. And you've really gotta do your homework and find good deals to keep from losing money every year. I feel very sad for these farmers that have lost alot of their crops in their counties. You have no idea how much it takes to plant and take care of just one field of corn or soybeans. And if you have a good amount of acreage and most of it is destroyed. You are likely out more money than 90% of the people on here make in a year.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    bam-bam says the financial world was too big to allow it to fail, so the government took it over....

GM was too big to fail so the government took it over.

Now they want to declare agriculture a disaster, perhaps so government can take it over.

Let's see..... the United States Government controls the money, some of the vehicles, and much of the food...... anyone besides me see a pattern here..?.... not to mention see where this may lead?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    bam-bam says the financial world was too big to allow it to fail, so the government took it over....

Now they want to declare agriculture a disaster, perhaps so government can take it over.

Let's see..... the United States Government controls the money, some of the vehicles, and much of the food...... anyone besides me see a pattern here..?.... not to mention see where this may lead?

Oh I see it Jay. And where we are heading...is NOT good.

I find it odd, with 75 views that there are only 5 replies. Some folks must not be bothered by this! (?)

To me, this is a big freaking deal. :dunno:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

That is true to a degree. You do have a good point. But most farmers are too smart to fall for his tricks and are anti IB60

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My house is surrounded by corn still. The guy down the road just cleared a bunch though. Scarey stuff. Prices will skyrocket, for sure.

USDA can call it a disaster to release extra funds for the Insurance payouts. The counties listed are the counties which have damage, it does not mean the whole county is wiped out.

I just spent the last week driving SD-IA-IL, and there is crop damaged, some mild, some severe. Farmers are having a very good yields, and the prices are not crazy at all, beans and corn.

Not a very big deal.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They do this every year. It doesn't take a lot for a county to be declared a disaster area. Not much at all. I mean really, look at the map. Tippacanoe county is a disaster area. I am 20 minutes south of there in Montgomery county and we have never had a more productive year. Ever.

Its not a big deal people, and most people don't even know their county is a disaster area. I think last year Montgomery county was a "disaster area" because of drought and they let farmers bale the grass off of the waterways:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom