• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The A-10 is pretty cheap, aircraft wise.

Well (and keep in mind, I am on your side overall) :) here's the problem with saying that:
    1) They aren't making any more, so it gets more expensive to mechanically maintain each year.
    B) Still not as cheap as drones.
    III) Pilot training is WAY more expensive and dangerous that drone operator training.

Those points are truly Devil's Advocate positions. IMHO, the proper counterpoint is that if one of the other branches want them, let them budget for it and allow them to restart production. Or, even better, come up with a D variant that is updated for contemporary manufacturing and electronics. Keep the original design specs and role, but just make new (better) ones.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When you hear that whine from the engines

you know help is already here.

FIFY.

The first thing you hear is the whoosh bang of the mavericks, the second BrrrrWHAP of the gun, the last the whine of the engines as they pass over.

The only people who don't like the Warthog are people who won't end up on the battlefield. Nobody on the ground in a danger close situation wants their air support either rolling in at the speed of stink or dropping 'smart' weapons from the stratosphere.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well (and keep in mind, I am on your side overall) :) here's the problem with saying that:
    1) They aren't making any more, so it gets more expensive to mechanically maintain each year.
    B) Still not as cheap as drones.
    III) Pilot training is WAY more expensive and dangerous that drone operator training.

Those points are truly Devil's Advocate positions. IMHO, the proper counterpoint is that if one of the other branches want them, let them budget for it and allow them to restart production. Or, even better, come up with a D variant that is updated for contemporary manufacturing and electronics. Keep the original design specs and role, but just make new (better) ones.

All right Mr. Advocate...and yet is still makes economic, tactical, and strategic sense to fly and upgrade the B-52...the F-15's life is now projected out to 2040...they are tough aircraft with a whole bunch sitting in the boneyard easily brought back into service...their arguments are invalid.

Also, drones will not survive in a contested environment unless we release them on their own recognizance. That will likely not end well.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    This is Capt. Kim Campbell's (yes, female pilot) A-10 RTB after engagement in the second Gulf War. The foto really doesn't show all the damage this plane took and still maintained maneuverability. Try that with an F-35.

WEB10083-2004_640.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    the other down point about drones, what happens when you encounter an enemy with a rudimentary ability to jam and counter jam?
    Drones don't do any good if they keep falling out of the sky.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    At best this is a goat-rope, probably a CHARLIE-FOXTROT. The only platform designed specifically for close air support (CAS). It works in that role, PERIOD. The gound-pounders love it because it works.

It is slow, it is ugly, the fast-movers you are in charge of much of the USAF don't like it or CAS.

Hard choices have to be made at places like HQ Air Combat Command with organize, train and equip responsibility. I can tell you from my time there you don't have much leeway with resources, most ar spoken for already.

If you could sling an A-10 off a carrier it would be perfect for the USMC. F-35? I'm not warm or fuzzy. I'm trying to remember the term used by flyer/HQ types. I dealt with capability and the outcome, not how it got there. If there is a smoking hole where the baddies were? Cool!

I heard using a B-52 with JDAMs as a CAS platform described as "six guys looking through a soda straw from the bozosphere" by a Hawg-driver. I thought it was funny, but he was serious. People who call CAS and fly CAS are quite serious about their professions I have noticed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    All right Mr. Advocate...and yet is still makes economic, tactical, and strategic sense to fly and upgrade the B-52...the F-15's life is now projected out to 2040...
    Those are all within the USAF's traditional comfort zones - carpet bombing and air superiority.

(By the way, I'd put money on the Buff reaching 100 years of service.)

they are tough aircraft with a whole bunch sitting in the boneyard easily brought back into service...
    Even though I'm a true-blue (or gray) A-10 supporter, I would argue that "easily" is a relative term. It is not as easy as making new Predators.

their arguments are invalid.
    They are valid, if they win. Right now, the cycle suggests that there is a good chance that they will win.

Also, drones will not survive in a contested environment unless we release them on their own recognizance.
    Again, I'm not convinced of that. They appear to be effective - in certain roles - when controlled from Home Base.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Because a PFC in a trailer out west can of course do the job of a highly trained pilot

(way purple)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    They should just give the entire A 10 program to the U.S Army and U. S. Marines Corps (bless their hearts) since the Air Farce has their head stuck so far up their a$$ (oh no, we can't buy it unless it costs 4 billion dollars per aircraft). (and I am allowed to call them the "Air Farce" cuz I wore the uniform) Ask ANY guy on the ground taking fire what they think about the A 10. Ask any Islamic fighter what they think of it. It just flat out WORKS better than anything else!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I didn't have the luxury of the A-10.
    (old man here) My day was the A-1 Sky Raider. They could tear some shi. up too. Nice ground cover plane that could stay on station a long time and carried a lot of firepower.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The AF has always believed they can win any conflict with air power alone. Boots on the ground mop up the mess and the hog covers the grunt's six very well.

Except the only time they arguably ever did, it took nukes.

Nope, air power doesn't win wars, but it can be a great help in assisting land forces in winning wars.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    OOOOH! Skyraiders ARE THE BOMB! Fly slow, carry lots of ordnance and LOTS of fuel. Now yer talkin'. If only the Skyraider was as heavily armored as an A 10. I have seen A 10s RTB with damage so severe you could not believe they kept it in the air. Talk about bulletproof.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I heard a story once that the design criteria for the A-10 RFP were basically to make a new Skyraider plus 2 jet engines. (Ended up not quite being jets, but close.)

Top Bottom