• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    25 years ago I put my wife through law school and told her I was going to retire young. I was half-joking because I didn't think it would actually work out that way, but it did. I know that there are a handful on INGO that think our family arrangement violates the laws of nature, but I can go to the shooting range any day of the week!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know a guy who worked 2 jobs to put his wife through med school in a big city. She got her MD, they moved to the wilds of the midwest, she effectively made 4x what they were making before (when accounting for cost of living) and he stayed at home with the kids.

Until the wife's practice got so big that he had to go back to work as her office manager. :)

They have alot of nice toys, a great house in the woods, and a strong family bond.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My wife's earning have been steadily creeping up. She hasn't caught me, but it's getting closer. I told her the other day that it's getting to the point that I could be a stay at home dad. She wasn't having it.

She seems to think that child rearing ends when one kid has married and moved to California and the other is a 21 year old senior in college, three hours away.:dunno:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Until this year the wife pretty much doubled my salary and only had to work 180 days a year with every holiday off. Didn’t bother me but I have worked with a few men that couldn’t deal with it. It’s amazig to me the egos. Seriously..... it’s ok. Just means you get to do/buy more stuff!
    me

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I told both my kids, one male, one female, you shouldn't necessarily marry for money, but you should damn sure marry for earning potential.;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm perfectly happy with the wife, who was the senior financial planner on the board of a major NY bank staying home and home schooling the kids. It's way more valuable to us to have a (mentally) functioning family than another few bucks in the bank. Besides...this is IN and the cost of living is worth the living.

My wife stayed home with the kids (one in 1st year of college now, and the other a Senior in High School) and not by any grand plan we had, but more because of medical issues she developed that actually caused us to put the kids into some care/early preschool, and have her not work, which really caused some financial strain early on. Wife got a an implanted cardiac device many years ago (with various replacements due to broken leads, etc over the years) which has helped quite a bit (she has one that does defib, sync and pacing) and she currently has a very small/make your own hours part time job, and more recently having a go at a small part time business as well.

That said, I'd never have a hang up about her working/making more than me, if that would have been the situation. Our life has been stressful in many ways, but less so in others because she has been able to be home with the kids.

25 years ago I put my wife through law school and told her I was going to retire young. I was half-joking because I didn't think it would actually work out that way, but it did. I know that there are a handful on INGO that think our family arrangement violates the laws of nature, but I can go to the shooting range any day of the week!

I know a guy who worked 2 jobs to put his wife through med school in a big city. She got her MD, they moved to the wilds of the midwest, she effectively made 4x what they were making before (when accounting for cost of living) and he stayed at home with the kids.

Until the wife's practice got so big that he had to go back to work as her office manager. :)

They have alot of nice toys, a great house in the woods, and a strong family bond.

Either of those situations would have been ok with me as well! I have no ego at all when it comes to this stuff. Just do what works best for you/kids.

Top Bottom