• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    5.56x45mm in an AK is heresy. Well, it is a nice GF/child's gun. I admit to having ONE converted Saiga and it is like shooting a .22LR.

I was wanting to have all my SHTF rifles in the same caliber...The SLR 106F was the only AK variant in 5.56 I was aware of that was built from the ground up in 5.56...

I love that dang thing....I got a butt load of circle 10 magazine's for it.....

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have Yugo Underfolders, Mak90`s and Sar-1`s ........Though all have been 100% reliable , I always grab one of my Sar-1`s first .
    They feel and handle the best to me. It is a natural pointer when shouldered . The only thing I added to these were a Hogue Rubber grip .
    The Maks come in second ... I have grown to get used to the thumb hole stocks ( but have done some extensive filing and sanding to make the grips a lot thinner and with finger grooves )
    Happy Hunting ...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was wanting to have all my SHTF rifles in the same caliber...The SLR 106F was the only AK variant in 5.56 I was aware of that was built from the ground up in 5.56...

I understand. My Saiga is a quality conversion that uses $8.00 Tapco Galil mags. Unfortunately the gas block took a dump and I am still dealing with that.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I tend to stay away from Arsenal, Hoppes takes the finish right off of them in my experience. Not worth the premium IMHO

High temp flat black paint fixes this problem fairly easily and seems to hold up to chemicals better (still not great) than factory Arsenal finish..

I picked up an SLR107R last year for $850. Initial cleaning took the finish off part of the receiver hit it with some flat black high temp paint cant tell the difference.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville

I have a Norinco 84s (5.56) that is a dream to shoot. Unfortunately, mags are hard to find and expensive. As a previous poster alluded, 5.56 AKs are an oddity (or an abomination, depending on your viewpoint). Virtually all, regardless of maker, exist solely for the commercial market and are not simply semi versions of military guns with widely adopted common specs like those chambered in 7.62 or 5.45. Thus, no standardization of parts or mags, sadly.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I am so confused.

I have done enough research to know what I want.
    -I want an AK that was built in Eastern Europe or Asia.
    -I want to spend under $1K.
    -I don’t care about looks at all.
    -I want it to perform flawlessly and resist wear/breakage, as a military weapon should.

But beyond the above, does anyone have a link or two to a website that lists or ranks by military quality the various AK brands/country options out there?

I’m tired of Googling, just looking to be pointed to a definitive source/list on the web.

If someone here wants to school me, that’s fine too.
    Israeli Galil is best ak-47 out there imo.. and reasonably priced. They took the Russian version made some significant upgrades and improvements

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Israeli Galil is best ak-47 out there imo.. and reasonably priced.

If you thought they were a good price at $1700 you are going to be real disappointed in knowing Classic Firearms had a blowout last Friday on both the 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. Seems they had some with slight cosmetic factory blemishes selling for $999. First reports indicate the blems are hard to find on them.

I'm still kicking myself for not reading my email with this announcement, so they were all gone by the time I got around to it.:xmad:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Virtually all, regardless of maker, exist solely for the commercial market and are not simply semi versions of military guns with widely adopted common specs like those chambered in 7.62 or 5.45. Thus, no standardization of parts or mags, sadly.

Arsenal SLR 106-F is the exception to that rule...Arsenal built a full auto from the ground up in 5.56 when they (Bulgaria) joined NATO...The SLR 106-F is the semi auto version of that.....

Which is why I love it...But it only runs with factory mags and I am fortunate to have about 10 of them.....

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Israeli Galil is best ak-47 out there imo.. and reasonably priced.

If you thought they were a good price at $1700 you are going to be real disappointed in knowing Classic Firearms had a blowout last Friday on both the 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. Seems they had some with slight cosmetic factory blemishes selling for $999. First reports indicate the blems are hard to find on them.

I'm still kicking myself for not reading my email with this announcement, so they were all gone by the time I got around to it.:xmad:
    I paid under a thousand for mine when I got it

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Arsenal SLR 106-F is the exception to that rule...Arsenal built a full auto from the ground up in 5.56 when they (Bulgaria) joined NATO...The SLR 106-F is the semi auto version of that.....

Which is why I love it...But it only runs with factory mags and I am fortunate to have about 10 of them.....
    I believe I read the Israelis are going to start mass producing for sales in the US

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I bought a used, unconverted Saiga 7.62 in 2011 for $299, and it's been rock solid for many thousands of rounds.

Here he is after puberty (aka "conversion").

Here she is after gender reassignment surgery...

Top Bottom