• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I have a new firing pin that I'm trying to put in my WASR, since mine was a little banged up from the factory but I can't get the firing pin retention pin to even budge from the bolt.

I've soaked the bolt in break free for hours, even gone as far as using a vice and hammer and it still absolutely will not budge. This seems excessive to me since there are videos of people on YouTube doing it with nothing more than a paperclip and barely pushing on it. I am pushing it from the correct direction, and I am pushing the right pin.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to have to take it to a gunsmith, and I certainly don't want to have to buy a new bolt assembly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Chris

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    AK54.jpg

That's the pin I'm trying to get out, and like I said it absolutely will not budge.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a new firing pin that I'm trying to put in my WASR, since mine was a little banged up from the factory but I can't get the firing pin retention pin to even budge from the bolt.

I've soaked the bolt in break free for hours, even gone as far as using a vice and hammer and it still absolutely will not budge. This seems excessive to me since there are videos of people on YouTube doing it with nothing more than a paperclip and barely pushing on it. I am pushing it from the correct direction, and I am pushing the right pin.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to have to take it to a gunsmith, and I certainly don't want to have to buy a new bolt assembly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Chris

Jason, unless Chris edited his post, your three directly beneath his need to be reread. He is talking about the retaining pin. :D

Chris, even in a vice, if your workbench flexes it could absorb a lot of your hammer work. I use a block of wood on my garage floor. I also use a punch holder so that I don't worry about hitting my hand and can get a really good hit on the punch. (Don't ask about hitting my hand!!!!)

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I'm doing exactly that, only that first pin he pushes out is stuck. So stuck that I've even put it in a vice, and hit the punch with a hammer and can't even get it to budge out one millimeter. Not lightly tapping either, I'm wailing on this thing.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It sounds like there is some sort of corrosion cementing that pin in place.

This might sound silly but is the firing pin that you want to remove still functioning? If it is, just leave it until it stops setting off the rounds. At that time try again to get the retainer out, and if it still is glued in, at least then you won't feel too bad about buying a new bolt.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I just watched that video. I wonder how many times that pin was removed to make it so easy to just push it out???????

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    That's a good question, I probably should have clarified earlier.

The firing pin has been bashed on the business end of it, so it's just a fraction of a millimeter shorter than it should be, and causes maybe 20% of the bullets I attempt to fire to light-strike the primer and not fire. Also sometimes the pin just sticks back and won't fire at all. I believe there's a small metal shaving stuck inside the bolt that is jamming the pin. If I can remove the pin I know I could solve all these problems, but the darn pin needs to come out first, lol.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I just pulled out one of my bolts and had the same issue you are having. Smacked the heck out of it and it is glued in there! While I would rather have it a bit tight so it doesn't work loose during firing, that bolt in the video had to be messaged to allow it to come apart that easy!

Yep Hardatag, looks like you need a new bolt. I wonder it the pin is soft enough to be drilled out??? Nah, just more frustrations!

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I just pulled out one of my bolts and had the same issue you are having. Smacked the heck out of it and it is glued in there! While I would rather have it a bit tight so it doesn't work loose during firing, that bolt in the video had to be messaged to allow it to come apart that easy!

Yep Hardatag, looks like you need a new bolt. I wonder it the pin is soft enough to be drilled out??? Nah, just more frustrations!

I considered drilling as well, but I agree it would just be way more trouble. I'll just send the new firing pin back and put that towards the new bolt. Honestly when I didn't see a canted sight or gas block, I thought that meant I was out of the woods as far as troublesome WASR's. Should've saved for a higher quality piece. Live and learn. :n00b:

Top Bottom