• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am new to the AK world. I am looking at the AK-74s and I do not know all the varieties and how to compare them. I see some really cheap, and then there are the Arsenal ones. From what I understand, the Arsenal ones are the best. I am not sure I want to spend that much, but I am open to it if it makes sense. Can anyone tell me the differences, strengths, weaknesses... etc. I already am familiar with Arsenal, so I am good there.
    Bulgarian
    Romanian
    Polish Tantel
    I guess I am looking for the AK reliability and price, but I do not want to sacrifice accuracy either.

Thanks!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    1st, welcome to INGO! :ingo:

In a spin on an old theme; "excellent reliability, low price, outstanding accuracy... pick any 2." That said, if you're looking for truly accurate platform, you may want to consider something else.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    A lot of it depends on who built it.
    Arsenal is Bulgarian, but Bulgaria does not currently make any stamped receiver AKs in 5.45 for military use, so any NEW Arsenal rifle you buy in 5.45 is built specifically for the commercial market. This is NOT a bad thing, just some info.

Now, most of the Bulgy kits you see out there are actual military demils. Ive got a Troy built Bulgy 74 that I would put up against any Arsenal in terms of quality of the build, quality of the parts is a wash, but the troy build was a bit cheaper.

Personally any of the other 74s you mentioned are fine as well, just depends on who put it together.

In terms of country of origin, Im a big fan of Russian and Bulgy, which includes Saiga and Arsenal.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You may also want to consider buying a Saiga 5.45 and converting it to your liking. Doing it yourself *might* save you money and you will be able to build the rifle to the exact specs you want. Plus, a Saiga will be true Russian and all new parts.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I started looking in to converting a Saiga. I think that might be a really good option! I am looking at both the .223 and the 5.54. Any suggestions on the easiest to convert. I imagine the trigger/pistol grip to be about the same.
    My biggest hangup is the magazine conversion. I think it would be good to be able to use any foreign/military surplus mags if possible.

Advice?

I am thinking the .223 would be a better choice given that I can get ammo about anywhere. The cost is higher, but it might be worth it in the long haul.
    I would stockpile it little by little, so I had a good supply in case regulations should change.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    There is no difference in the conversion of a 5.45 vs. .223 Saiga. The parts are mostly the same, with the only difference I can think of being the bullet guide. Other than that, same parts, same procedure.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Romainian's come in many flavors from the converted WASR10's to take 30 round mags, these can have botched mag well's so it's important to select them carefully. I'[d never buy one sight unseen.

SAR's are, IMO, the cat's meow. While they have the crappiest US trigger groups ever made, drop a few bucks on a tapco g2 trigger pack or hit it with a dremmel and it's an easy fix.

The other issue with them is that some have cant'ed sight posts. Easy to tell in person and usually not a difficult fix either. Cost for what you get cannot be beat anywhere. Reliability and accuracy will be as good or better than any AK74 available in the US.

Personally I'd only consider the arsenal's or SAR's. Anything else and you sacrifice things that are too pricey/difficult to fix, be it barrels or receivers.

I'm currently trying to see if I can justify buying an SLR with a 74m folding stock.

Top Bottom