• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    AK47 (Egyptian model) 7.62 w/drum value?

I've never dealt with long guns, so looking for a value range. Was offered an opportunity to buy this gun, but have no clue on its value. Haven't seen or shot it yet. Can anybody give me a value range based upon its condition on a scale of 1 to 10? He's including about 200 rounds of ammo with the deal. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Prepare for itemized list of questions/concerns:
    1. Pictures?
    2. Buying a gun unseen? Not sure on that.
    3. I am not aware of any imported "israeli" AK-47s. As Colt556 asked, is this a Galil? If so, then is it a Century import or earlier?
    4. If it is a Galil, did they even come available with drum mags? (not to OP, but public here in general)

If it's an actual AK (7.62x39mm or similar), I don't think it's Israeli, your "buddy" is pulling your leg. Without pics or any information outside of "Israeli AK", no one knows! :) Maybe "Egyptian?"

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sounds like a Maadi. Some of the really early ones were of greater value, but the bulk of the Maadis I have seen, with original thumbhole stocks, have been priced in the $450-$550 range. A 75 round drum can be anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on the country of origin.

Search Maadi AK for sale and you will see many.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Egyptian MAADIs and such, I have seen them go from 300 bucks all the way up to 500 (and usually overpriced for condition). They have been out there for a LONG time, so I would not consider it "unfired" no matter what they tell you. :noway: The drum can go for 60-120 bucks, depending on manufacturer (Chinese>Romanian/European>South Korean).

Most of em come with the "draganov style" stock due to the import restrictions on them to make them more "sporting". Usually no muzzlebrake/flashhider. Outside of curiousity for a decently made AK, they are like any other AK out there. If they want more than 500 for the package after inspection, might want to reconsider... :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My bad - it is Egyptian. Don't know the name of the mfg. Just looking for bal park values.

Who is the importer? Should be stamped on the receiver. I own an Egyptian Maadi, and it's a great rifle. From what I have read, stay away from the Century imported Maadi's. Century was using Norico (Chinese parts) in Maadi receivers. The Norico barrels where of smaller diameter, so they shimmed the barrels.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As U.S. Patriot said, knowing the importer and model is really important. Century imported many Maadis, but only one came in, the MISR S/A that was reasonable, even though it had Century's crappy trigger sets, but those are easily changed. The Century hybrid Maadi MISR 90 which as U.S. Patriot said, was a mix of Egyptian and Chinese, with only a handful being lucky enough to work.

A Maadi imported by Steyr is the only one recognized as "pre-ban" and as such sells for $1200 and up. In fact $1200 would be a great buy on a Steyr import.

The post-ban I prefer is the ARM as they were imported with muzzle nuts tacked on over real threads. RMLs were basically ARMs without muzzle threads, although I have seen a few with threaded muzzles. The RPM was a long barrel version, also a nice rifle.

As others have said, lately Maadis can be found in the $400 to $600 range, with of course the Steyr import much higher.

Also, many like the Maadi because they were built on equipment brought to Egypt from the Soviet Union, so they are very close to a true Soviet AKM, but still commercial rifles made for those of us who shall not be infringed.

Regardless, every AK lover needs at least one Maadi in their collection! :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As U.S. Patriot said, knowing the importer and model is really important. Century imported many Maadis, but only one came in, the MISR S/A that was reasonable, even though it had Century's crappy trigger sets, but those are easily changed. The Century hybrid Maadi MISR 90 which as U.S. Patriot said, was a mix of Egyptian and Chinese, with only a handful being lucky enough to work.

A Maadi imported by Steyr is the only one recognized as "pre-ban" and as such sells for $1200 and up. In fact $1200 would be a great buy on a Steyr import.

The post-ban I prefer is the ARM as they were imported with muzzle nuts tacked on over real threads. RMLs were basically ARMs without muzzle threads, although I have seen a few with threaded muzzles. The RPM was a long barrel version, also a nice rifle.

As others have said, lately Maadis can be found in the $400 to $600 range, with of course the Steyr import much higher.

Also, many like the Maadi because they were built on equipment brought to Egypt from the Soviet Union, so they are very close to a true Soviet AKM, but still commercial rifles made for those of us who shall not be infringed.

Regardless, every AK lover needs at least one Maadi in their collection! :D

Mine is an ARM, and has been a great rifle. The trigger is one of the best out of any AK I have fired. Once I got it sighted in. I can easily put every round on an 8" target at 50 yards. As Indykid said, the Russians built a plant in Egypt and produced AK's for them. This is after Israel defeated the Egyptians. So, they are as close to a Russian AK as you can get, without owning a Russian AK. Find out first who the importer is, and give it a good once over. I'll post a couple of good Maadi links when I get home, because they are saved on my computer. If the rifle is good to go, I would defiantly buy it, (for the right price) if I where you. Ammo is still relativity cheap, and AK's are just down right durable and fun to shoot.

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks to all with good info. I'm supposed to get more info this evening and see it tomorrow afternoon. Will post more info afterward. Thanks again!

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    AK-47 Egyptian

OK, here's what I found out:
    Stamped on the left side it says "ARM SEMI AUTOMATIC RIFLE, CALIBER 7.62X39, MAADI COMPANY"
    Stamped on the right side it says "A.C.C INT/INTRAC, KNOX TN, EGYPT"
    Stamped on the left side below the front sight was an insignia of some sort with "95" inside. (Date code maybe?)
    Stamped on the left side were the numbers "AC0070199"
    The composite stock had "CHOATE TOOL" stamped on the butt end. He does not have the original wood stock.
    Has a flash suppressor mounted on the end of the barrel.
    Drum has either a crown or the letter "W" and the numbers "344" stamped on it. He could not tell me how many rounds it holds.
    Comes with 640 rounds (32 boxes x 20/box) of ammo, drum, two banana clips and rifle case.
    Unknown round count. Everything looks clean but definitely used.

Hope somebody can give me a true range of its value again based on a scale from 1 to 10 conditions.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I purchased my last Maadi in 2005 for $200. The weapon was "rode hard and put up wet". I gifted it to my brother later that year after a detailed cleaning.

Doc, there are many variables in the AK market. Maadis are at the lower end of the pool.

If you are looking for an investment weapon, I would pass.

If you are looking for a gun that you can use and abuse for plinking, or even a back up weapon for gun school, or gift to your brother, I would not exceed $300.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    OK, here's what I found out:
    Stamped on the left side it says "ARM SEMI AUTOMATIC RIFLE, CALIBER 7.62X39, MADDI COMPANY"
    Stamped on the right side it says "A.C.C INT/INTRAC, KNOX TN, EGYPT"
    Stamped on the left side below the front sight was an insignia of some sort with "95" inside. (Date code maybe?)
    Stamped on the left side were the numbers "AC0070199"
    The composite stock had "CHOATE TOOL" stamped on the butt end. He does not have the original wood stock.
    Has a flash suppressor mounted on the end of the barrel.
    Drum has either a crown or the letter "W" and the numbers "344" stamped on it. He could not tell me how many rounds it holds.
    Comes with 640 rounds (32 boxes x 20/box) of ammo, drum, two banana clips and rifle case.
    Unknown round count. Everything looks clean but definitely used.

Hope somebody can give me a true range of its value again based on a scale from 1 to 10 conditions.

Thanks to all!

if the gun is VERY GOOD condition (might be some paint flaking because maadis are painted) I would pay $575 for the rifle, 2 mags, a drum, and the ammo.

if there is ANY rust, even on the mags or drum. or there is signifigant wear on the parts of the rifle then adjust accordingly, and rapidly.

I dont pay as high for things as some of these guys on here. I keep it realistic, because to me a gun is only worth me paying as much as I could sell it for (even if i plan to keep it)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I purchased my last Maadi in 2005 for $200. The weapon was "rode hard and put up wet". I gifted it to my brother later that year after a detailed cleaning.

Doc, there are many variables in the AK market. Maadis are at the lower end of the pool.

If you are looking for an investment weapon, I would pass.

If you are looking for a gun that you can use and abuse for plinking, or even a back up weapon for gun school, or gift to your brother, I would not exceed $300.

I dont know what maadis you have had, but the maadis I am familiar with are not lower end.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Good point, Ranger, there have been several variants of the Maadi brought in over the years.

The Maadis of the early '80s were solid enough. After ATF cut off their import in '82 or '83, the quality was iffy at best.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good find! As I stated above, I feel the ARM model is the most desirable of the post-bans.

Don't recognize the drum, a photo would help.

As for those two other things, AKs use magazines. Garands use "clips" and bananas are healthy fruit! :D

These days the ARM with two mags sells for about $500 or a bit more depending on condition (obviously ;) ) The ammo about $100 and the drum anywhere from $50 to $125 depending on condition and manufacturer.

The Choate stock doesn't add or detract from the value as the ARM originally came with an Egyptian version of the Bush-hole stock, which were really not bad and easily modifiable to evil configuration.

If you can pick it up for what E5RANGER375 states, I would agree and go for it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Good point, Ranger, there have been several variants of the Maadi brought in over the years.

The Maadis of the early '80s were solid enough. After ATF cut off their import in '82 or '83, the quality was iffy at best.

Steyr imports of true pre-ban Maadis were late 1980s. The Bush ban took place in 1990. Steyr Maadis are going for $1200 in good condition, higher for better conditions. The post-Bush-ban ACC/Intrac imports, as well as the PAR imports were very good rifles, although their finish wasn't the greatest, the rifles were very nice.

It was only after Century got into the importation act that quality went down. The MISR S/A got the Century fire control group that was noted for finger shattering slap. Their MISR-90 was a mix of ill fitting Norinco parts on a Maadi receiver, a model that also tarnished the Maadi image.

Last Maadis were shut down by the dishonorable william jefferson clinton when he directed congress to ban importation of firearms by name and not just the evil features so feared by Bush1. Truly a sad time in our history, when we saw our second amendment rights totally trashed.

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Outstanding info! Guess I've got a decision to make. He did offer to let me run a few dozen rounds through it before making him an offer.

Thanks again!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Steyr imports of true pre-ban Maadis were late 1980s. The Bush ban took place in 1990

Sort of.

Steyr took over after ATF shut down Maadi imports in '82 or '83 when they started coming in with the full auto bolts (like the FAL G models). Steyr started importing them again and then the Bush ban was March 1989.

The Maadi that I bought for $200 was so wretched that the paint flaked off (the size of corn flakes).

Top Bottom