• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    if the members are good citizens, pay their taxes, and don't infringe on me our my beliefs then I have no issues. this is the rule that pretty much applies to everyone

What about the conversion of a prime piece of property to a non-taxpaying status. In my own community, we fought and won a court case to prevent a prime development property (an office complex left vacant when a corporation moved to a larger campus in the exurbs) from being bought and turned into a christian school complex; not because we disliked christians but because we are a largely residential community with little land devoted to commercial development and preferred to seek an occupant for the site more in keeping with the previous uses and the development plan

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What about the conversion of a prime piece of property to a non-taxpaying status. In my own community, we fought and won a court case to prevent a prime development property (an office complex left vacant when a corporation moved to a larger campus in the exurbs) from being bought and turned into a christian school complex; not because we disliked christians but because we are a largely residential community with little land devoted to commercial development and preferred to seek an occupant for the site more in keeping with the previous uses and the development plan

I can't find (in VERY brief googling) anything about this new site, but I believe there are a couple empty church locations in Carmel. There've been a few of the Protestant denominations that have changed hands in the last 10 years or so, too.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's been an Islamic Center south of U.S. 30 in the rural area of Merrillville for 25 years and the last time I checked, violence from its congregants was not a concern for many people in NWI. (We have other violence to worry about...I assume from mostly nominal Christians).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I can't find (in VERY brief googling) anything about this new site, but I believe there are a couple empty church locations in Carmel. There've been a few of the Protestant denominations that have changed hands in the last 10 years or so, too.

I was just presenting evidence that the assumed rationale for resisting the proposal is not the only one :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was just presenting evidence that the assumed rationale for resisting the proposal is not the only one :)

Yeah, I get that. :)

But - believe me - there's NO chance that otherwise commercial-zoned land in Carmel would be used for a church. The Mormons were able to do it, sorta, but that was a long time in the making. The Catholic diocese has some parcels on the west side that are/were farmland, but that's about as close as they'll get in terms of new development.

Developers show no signs of decreasing the Carmel Premium for land, even brownfields.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, I get that. :)

But - believe me - there's NO chance that otherwise commercial-zoned land in Carmel would be used for a church. The Mormons were able to do it, sorta, but that was a long time in the making. The Catholic diocese has some parcels on the west side that are/were farmland, but that's about as close as they'll get in terms of new development.

Developers show no signs of decreasing the Carmel Premium for land, even brownfields.

I wonder what an all red-bricked mosque will look like?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder what an all red-bricked mosque will look like?

What's that one on the NW side of Main and Gray, across from the gray Lutheran?

Wouldn't it be ironic if they were looking at a Missouri Synod church? :)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's been an Islamic Center south of U.S. 30 in the rural area of Merrillville for 25 years and the last time I checked, violence from its congregants was not a concern for many people in NWI. (We have other violence to worry about...I assume from mostly nominal Christians).

It's probably (in my most disgusted to even speak the word voice) CANADIANS!!!:xmad:

Top Bottom