• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's see...in addition to general overreach, apparent sour grapes over the failure of their last overreach, and general disregard for the concept of private property, they seem intent on violating the Fourth Amendment egregiously. This could also be perceived as a law against poor people as there are astronomical fines for failure to maintain your property or building(s) to their satisfaction. Not everyone can afford to be in the running for magazine covers, or for that matter is in good enough health to keep up with those demands.

I see obvious solutions for this problem, all of which are both INGO rule violations to post and also felonies.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The Urban Dictionary is the gift that keeps on giving. Now I know too.

The term FIP has been in use for quite a while, at least in my experience. We used it to describe the Chicago area people who had discovered Shades State Park, and thought it was time to come party in the woods. They were quite disruptive to the folks who came there just to camp and enjoy the park.

Working traffic on I-74 also caused an excessive exposure to FIPs. :)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The term FIP has been in use for quite a while, at least in my experience. We used it to describe the Chicago area people who had discovered Shades State Park, and thought it was time to come party in the woods. They were quite disruptive to the folks who came there just to camp and enjoy the park.

Working traffic on I-74 also caused an excessive exposure to FIPs. :)

I can see how working I-74 could expose you to many people who have Urban Dictionary terms.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Those of us in La Porte need to seriously reconsider who we have on the council as well as other elected positions and vote them out. I would have thought the April meeting with them would have sent a message......

Just saw this on Indiana Girls with Guns FB page. Glad to see it has been shared here already.

Not enough to just post here. If you live in LaPorte you NEED to go to the next meeting just like hundreds went to the last one.

It appears as the commissioners are - 2 (R) & 1 (D)
    Board of Commissioners

The last failed attempt was being pushed by the sheriff. Officially the county ATTY said he could not say who asked for the ordinance.
    I suspect that once again the sheriff is pushing this and the board is doing whatever it can do get it done.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    this would come into direct conflict with some of the State Classified forest & wild lands obligations.. also the Federal Wetlands easements that prohibit mowing more than once a year..

Absolutely, the amount of "Carve outs" and "exemptions" needed for this ordinance would be in the hundreds.

The entire thing is a joke and needs to be completely scrapped.

Apparently the commissioners and the county atty have said they "worked hard on this for months". WTF?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would also be asking how they intend to enforce such an ordinance throughout the county. It would be daunting to even attempt to enforce such an ordinance with regard to the vegetation height and such. Our county passed a nuisance ordinance that allowed for enforcement action to clean up junk vehicles and such, but it did not include anything related to tall grass/weeds because it would be so hard to enforce. What one calls weeds may be native wildflowers to another.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I would also be asking how they intend to enforce such an ordinance throughout the county. It would be daunting to even attempt to enforce such an ordinance with regard to the vegetation height and such. Our county passed a nuisance ordinance that allowed for enforcement action to clean up junk vehicles and such, but it did not include anything related to tall grass/weeds because it would be so hard to enforce. What one calls weeds may be native wildflowers to another.

It appeared that they'll be adding to the county rolls by creating a Code Enforcement Officer (CEO for your resume...) and giving that position the ability to appoint deputies, technical officers, inspectors and other employees.

Sounds like this could be another case of 'follow the money' to figure out who's pushing this ordinance.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There's another dark aspect to this: modernization.

Yes, indeed, that dirty word that coincides with "economic development" on the INGO Chart of Things We Don't Like (COTWDL).

Y'all can rage against the machine, but code enforcement is generally a zero-sum game (or worse) financially for a local government. But, it is a reminder to elect local leaders that support the same things the citizens do. If there are none that fit the bill for any one voter, it may not be the politician's fault....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It appeared that they'll be adding to the county rolls by creating a Code Enforcement Officer (CEO for your resume...) and giving that position the ability to appoint deputies, technical officers, inspectors and other employees.

Sounds like this could be another case of 'follow the money' to figure out who's pushing this ordinance.

They must have money just burning a hole in their pocket if they can afford to staff an entire new department. Even with a full time staff, it would be a daunting task to attempt to enforce an ordinance of this nature.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There's another dark aspect to this: modernization.

Yes, indeed, that dirty word that coincides with "economic development" on the INGO Chart of Things We Don't Like (COTWDL).

Y'all can rage against the machine, but code enforcement is generally a zero-sum game (or worse) financially for a local government. But, it is a reminder to elect local leaders that support the same things the citizens do. If there are none that fit the bill for any one voter, it may not be the politician's fault....
    Maybe in an urban area. Forcing urban type property codes on a rural county could be a windfall for the county.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe in an urban area. Forcing urban type property codes on a rural county could be a windfall for the county.
    Hamilton County remains mostly rural... for now. In fact, I'm reminded of the looming chasm between north and south whenever we go north of 32.

Because of the structure of city v. county government in Indiana, county code enforcement is almost purely rural, everywhere. (Indianapolis, a consolidated city, is obviously different.) It will not be a windfall. It will be a tool. As with any tool, be careful who the handler is.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hamilton County remains mostly rural... for now. In fact, I'm reminded of the looming chasm between north and south whenever we go north of 32.

Because of the structure of city v. county government in Indiana, county code enforcement is almost purely rural, everywhere. (Indianapolis, a consolidated city, is obviously different.) It will not be a windfall. It will be a tool. As with any tool, be careful who the handler is.
    I don't know. There are not a lot of lots around me that would not get cited by this rule.

Maybe this is the key to the whole provision.
    c. Abatement by code enforcement. Upon the failure of any owner or occupantcharged with the maintenance of real property or other persons charged with themaintenance of real property to cut and haul away grass, weeds and rank vegetation orcause the same to be done, as provided in this Ordinance, it shall be the duty of the CodeOfficer to cause such grass, weeds and rank vegetation to be cut, destroyed and hauledaway. A charge shall be made to the violator for the cost of such cutting, including anyadministrative costs incurred in sending notice; there shall be a minimum charge set bythe Code Officer, but the charge for abatement may be greater if the Code Officer’srecords so indicate.
    Sounds like a possible windfall for landscaping companies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't know. There are not a lot of lots around me that would not get cited by this rule.

Maybe this is the key to the whole provision.

Sounds like a possible windfall for landscaping companies.

So, part of that depends on zoning. The "rank vegetation" should have a standard definition. If the land is zoned agricultural, letting a field lie fallow goes with the zoning. Now, some invasive species of plants are real problems, and any property owner should be on the lookout for them. They just tend not to be a problem in suburban neighborhoods where people pay landscaping services for treatments.

But, yeah, much depends on how rigorous TPTB want to enforce. Might be worth asking them, or better, having them write it into the ordinance, if it isn't already there.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    It's an over-reach plain and simple. 25 feet for 'noise' violations? That includes loud talking on your property, music etc. they only define the 25 foot mark, nothing else. I can hear my neighbors weed wacker from 25 feet. I'm certain my muffled diesel tractor annoys her at 100+ feet away.

rank vegetation only does not cover agricultural plants. If you're like me and leave 'cover' vegetation for rabbits and the like get prepared to pull the brush hog out and start knocking it all down. Add to that a mowing schedule of once a month from may to oct and you're really getting into nanny BS here again. Anyone who should be covered by these type of rules are already covered by a HOA or township/city in the mean time they want to waste all the rest of our tax money that they can.

this also applies to any and all 'muscle cars' or similar who don't have 'harley loud' exhausts but have non stock mufflers, flowmasters, thrush, etc. Yes there are excessively loud cars, trucks and bikes out there, but a lot of us drive vehicles that are not obnoxiously loud, just louder that stock and those are covered here

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's an over-reach plain and simple. 25 feet for 'noise' violations? That includes loud talking on your property, music etc. they only define the 25 foot mark, nothing else. I can hear my neighbors weed wacker from 25 feet. I'm certain my muffled diesel tractor annoys her at 100+ feet away.

ANY "annoying" sound. Period. You'd be in violation.
    rank vegetation only does not cover agricultural plants. If you're like me and leave 'cover' vegetation for rabbits and the like get prepared to pull the brush hog out and start knocking it all down. Add to that a mowing schedule of once a month from may to oct and you're really getting into nanny BS here again. Anyone who should be covered by these type of rules are already covered by a HOA or township/city in the mean time they want to waste all the rest of our tax money that they can.

The current format means the ENTIRE county (minus county owned property) would have to be mowed or cut to 10" or below if it wasn't an actual tree or farm crop. Wetlands, woodlands, everything. 1 foot off the road, 1,000 feet off the road. Zero exceptions.

this also applies to any and all 'muscle cars' or similar who don't have 'harley loud' exhausts but have non stock mufflers, flowmasters, thrush, etc. Yes there are excessively loud cars, trucks and bikes out there, but a lot of us drive vehicles that are not obnoxiously loud, just louder that stock and those are covered here

Not just that but lets say someone nicks your bumper of your 2014 Dodge in the walmart parking lot. If you don't fix that and it stays on your property for over 10 days (even if you are driving it everyday, legally registered and plated) they can ticket you and tow you based on the current ordnance wording.

Add in code enforcement can enter your property (including residences) without a warrant during any "usual hours" to do inspections??!?!?!? It's unreal.

Top Bottom