• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    ANY "annoying" sound. Period. You'd be in violation.

The current format means the ENTIRE county (minus county owned property) would have to be mowed or cut to 10" or below if it wasn't an actual tree or farm crop. Wetlands, woodlands, everything. 1 foot off the road, 1,000 feet off the road. Zero exceptions.

Not just that but lets say someone nicks your bumper of your 2014 Dodge in the walmart parking lot. If you don't fix that and it stays on your property for over 10 days (even if you are driving it everyday, legally registered and plated) they can ticket you and tow you based on the current ordnance wording.

Add in code enforcement can enter your property (including residences) without a warrant during any "usual hours" to do inspections??!?!?!? It's unreal.
    ANY annoying sound? Sweet, I can call in everytime I hear my neighbors shrill voice?!

A few people have googled a line or two from this ordinance and have come to the conclusion that it is a stripped down version of Illinois noice and property ordinance. Although they were nice enough to change the 75ft limit of the Illinois version to 25ft for some reason

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    ANY annoying sound? Sweet, I can call in everytime I hear my neighbors shrill voice?!

A few people have googled a line or two from this ordinance and have come to the conclusion that it is a stripped down version of Illinois noice and property ordinance. Although they were nice enough to change the 75ft limit of the Illinois version to 25ft for some reason

I think the reason is the ordinance is borrowed from the city ordinances in the area that have a 25 foot limit. Basically it's imposing the same regulations to the entire county that Michigan City has in town.

delwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Walkerton
    From the county's webpage:

"IMPORTANT! INFORMATION REGARDING LA PORTE COUNTY ORDINACE
    The Board of Commissioners have been considering a Code Enforcement Ordinance, and have asked for public input. After reviewing all input, both positive and negative, the ordinance has been re-worked and the document that remains is being sent to the Plan Commission for their review and input, since that office will have ultimate authority on enforcement. Therefore, the proposed ordinance will NOT be discussed at the Commissioners meeting on Wednesday June 21. When the ordinance is returned to the Commissioners from the Plan Commission, further action will be considered."

The Libertarian Party of Laporte County is organizing a rally, which is still on, prior to the County Council meeting.

Yote7mmSlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Not sure why they keep doing this. Lack of common sense comes to mind. But not only are they pissing a LOT of people off, they are making us waste our time. I will still be going to the meeting tomorrow, as I think everyone else should also. I wish I could enjoy my evening when I get home from work. But instead, I must think and wonder if I will be able to take my daughter in the back yard and teach her how to shoot. I know I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds on my property and most of my neighbors shoot too. I haven't heard one complaint from anyone directly OR though the "grapevine". We need to stick with each other and stand up for our rights and CONTINUE to show these morons that their actions are NOT welcome!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Not sure why they keep doing this. Lack of common sense comes to mind. But not only are they pissing a LOT of people off, they are making us waste our time. I will still be going to the meeting tomorrow, as I think everyone else should also. I wish I could enjoy my evening when I get home from work. But instead, I must think and wonder if I will be able to take my daughter in the back yard and teach her how to shoot. I know I've fired 10's of thousands of rounds on my property and most of my neighbors shoot too. I haven't heard one complaint from anyone directly OR though the "grapevine". We need to stick with each other and stand up for our rights and CONTINUE to show these morons that their actions are NOT welcome!

Everyone needs to still go. They can't stack the deck for public comment at the first reading and then cancel it for the second once everyone finds out what was actually in it.

News 22 and 57 will be at the meeting tomorrow night. We need to have a MASSIVE showing no matter what.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They keep doing it because when they did it the first time, the public outcry was loud. The second time, less so, and so forth. Also, changing the meeting (repeatedly) at which it's heard will reduce the number of objections against it over time as well. Eventually, you'll get to a Hughes Amendment deal, where they bring it up with limited discussion time and then vote to pass it, before the troops can come rally to fight it.

There is a word for people like this, but it's not allowed on INGO. It's a good strategy, provided you aren't up for re-election soon. People have short memories, usually, and once it's passed into law as an ordinance, it's harder to get rid of it.

Keep up the fight and remove them from office at the first opportunity. One time is a mistake. Two is deliberate disregard of the will of the People.

Blessings,
    Bill

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It is the game they play. You will also want to be sure you are attending the planning commission meetings. They will also have to conduct a public hearing on this before they make their recommendation to the commissioners. No remonstrators at that meeting make it MUCH more likely to pass...once it passes at their meeting without (or with little) opposition, the commissioners will pass it rather quickly.

Attending boards' meetings is important to stop this!

delwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Walkerton
    Well, that was an interesting waste of an anniversary evening. Gonder didn't show (maybe it was his anniversary, too, don't know...).

They tossed the noise and plant portions of the proposed ordinance entirely, wanting to keep only the junk cars portion (the other tidbits in that mess went unmentioned while I was there) and send it back to the planning commission to get rejiggered. So, it started off well enough, with the expected platitudes, until Mrozinski started losing his temper.

I got a good chuckle out of his assertion that people with one vehicle weren't going to get fined. After he informed everyone that they'd already decided who was going to be the Code Enforcement Officer - never mind that they hadn't passed this ordinance, have a hiring freeze going on, and apparently didn't actually post anything publicly regarding this open not as yet existing position - we'd heard enough and decided to spend the rest of the evening doing something slightly more pleasant than getting smoke blown up our collective rear ends.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It sounds like there was some progress made. Facebook is showing a LOT of people protesting in front of the courthouse.

delwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Walkerton
    Well, the commissioners certainly wanted people to have the impression that progress had been made and their voices were heard. However, that they seem to have already picked their man leads me to believe that they're going to push some version of this nonsense through, no matter what we poor, dumb rednecks think, and probably tack the more offensive bits incrementally later. They're going to have to figure out some other money making scheme to pay this new position, because there's only so many places with "33 cars" on their lawn. Eventually they'll have to come up with more nonsense just to get the fine money to break even.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, the commissioners certainly wanted people to have the impression that progress had been made and their voices were heard. However, that they seem to have already picked their man leads me to believe that they're going to push some version of this nonsense through, no matter what we poor, dumb rednecks think, and probably tack the more offensive bits incrementally later. They're going to have to figure out some other money making scheme to pay this new position, because there's only so many places with "33 cars" on their lawn. Eventually they'll have to come up with more nonsense just to get the fine money to break even.

Always follow the money. Always.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I agree. Amendments will likely be made no matter how it is passed initially so you will want to be alert to legal notices and meeting agendas being posted. The agendas have to be posted at least 48 hours before the time of the meeting on the door where those meetings take place. The legal notices have to be published in the local paper at least 10 days before the meeting date.

The fact that so many showed up sends a message but is certainly not going to stop them if they are set on doing this.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Sounds mostly like a win but everyone in Laporte county needs to stay vigilant for sure. Im sure they will try and quietly sneak in amendments in the future that will further erode your rights. Im definitely going to be keeping my eye on this as we whave been thinking of moving out the way in the somewhat near future

Top Bottom