• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Is anyone around here into doing any manufacturing for the archery industry? I've been doing design work for an upstart company based out of Florida. I'm actually on the hunt for a machine shop interested in fabricating some of my components (reasonably!).

Here's a picture of one of the bows I designed for bowfishing. It's called the AREA 5150 Angler...
    2011-07-27150843.jpg

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Is anyone around here into doing any manufacturing for the archery industry? I've been doing design work for an upstart company based out of Florida. I'm actually on the hunt for a machine shop interested in fabricating some of my components (reasonably!).

Here's a picture of one of the bows I designed for bowfishing. It's called the AREA 5150 Angler...

That's pretty wild looking. Got a picture of it at full draw?

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana

Here's a picture of one of the bows I designed for bowfishing.

That is truly awesome!

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I traded bows and switched to a QAD Ultra drop away rest this year. I don't remember what brand I had before - had it for several years. So this was a big deviation for me. The old one had 2 metal launchers the arrow lay on, and so I had to be careful or it fell off. Plus, I went to draw down on a coyote one morning and it heard the arrow against those launchers and spooked. So I decided to move to a drop away.

The local bow shop suggested the QAD. I personally like saving money, so I bought mine on ebay for a decent price and installed it myself. Not real hard to do. Shot quite a bit through early summer, then shoulder surgery in June. So I don't get to try it hunting this year. But I was happy with the shooting I did.

I'm thinking about trying a drop away rest for next year. I'm using a NAP quicktune 360 now. I've had some issues with the arrow falling off during the draw or on letdown. I'd like one with containment of the arrow. Also not looking to break the bank. Any thoughts?

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Thanks fellas! I'll try to get a video sometime this week of one being drawn and shot. Got a hunting version one of my buddies stole for a few days to shoot and hunt with, so maybe I can talk him into helping me out with the video!

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast

2011-07-27150843.jpg

WoW. This design looks amazing. I am anxious to hear how it shoots. Can you give any more details on its specs?

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone tried both a RipCord Red rest vs QAD Ultra rest? Outdoorsman only carries the FUSE Ultra rest at 145.00.

Parkers archery in Spencer told me that the ripcord is superior to the QAD from a durability standpoint from his own shop testing. Just curious for more opinions.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour

2011-07-27150843.jpg

Looks similiar to an Onieda. Nice job looks good!! The riser and limbs all aluminum? Got any specs on it?

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    dcary7/TSmith,

Thanks! Yes, it's very similar to the Oneida bows and is built (roughly) off of the same platform. This one is designed for bowfishing and is roughly 41" tip to tip with a shallow shelf. It weighs less than 3.5lbs bare. We have a deep shelf hunting version that looks very similar with similar specs as well as a longer (47" tip to tip) bow for finger/target shooters. I'm ironing out the details on a mid-size bow in the 44" tip to tip range.

They are pretty impressive. Other than strings, cables, and the power (inner) limb, they are machined aluminum. A single set-up can get you from about 25" draw up to 30" draw and will go from zero to 99% let-off (yes, bow will hang at full draw just by the weight of the riser).

I don't have any IBO specs yet, but this little bowfishing rig was flinging a 420gr hunting arrow about 220fps with 28" draw length and only 38 pounds draw weight! Sure wish we had a whole section to discuss this stuff instead of a single sticky thread! Hard to keep up with the conversations!

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I'm using a rip cord on my DXT. Great rest. The QAD and the Ripcord are the two most popular drop aways at my friends shop, Hunters Choice in Vincennes.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    My son's bow is set at 21 1/2 in draw length and 30 lbs (goal is to get up to 35-40# by late season so he can hunt)
    Once he stops hitting trees with the practice arrows and gets dialed in I'd like to get him some good hunting arrows. The problem is, I looked at archery selection and they usually only list down to 24 " draw or so.........should I use the lightest arrow selection? Is there any lighter archers here, what do you use?
    I agree, it's difficult to follow all the conversations this way.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    My son's bow is set at 21 1/2 in draw length and 30 lbs (goal is to get up to 35-40# by late season so he can hunt)
    Once he stops hitting trees with the practice arrows and gets dialed in I'd like to get him some good hunting arrows. The problem is, I looked at archery selection and they usually only list down to 24 " draw or so.........should I use the lightest arrow selection? Is there any lighter archers here, what do you use?
    I agree, it's difficult to follow all the conversations this way.
    a lot of archery shops can custom cut arrows for your set-up, I would go with a small dia. arrow and a fixed blade broadhead, and a rest that doesnt drag on the arrow Im sure you've already thought about all that but penetration is key when you are shooting that light. Yes it is hard to follow activity on a sticky, welcome to my "we need an archery forum" campaign:D

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    WindingWinds- At his drawlength and drawweight he should be shooting arrows that are 2-3" longer than his draw. It is hard to find a carbon for someone to hunt with at that draw and weight. I would suggest a Victory 600 cut to about 24".

The most important thing for him is to learn to shoot his bow properly and accurately. He has his whole life to bowhunt. Allow time to learn to shoot before he goes hunting.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The most important thing for him is to learn to shoot his bow properly and accurately. He has his whole life to bowhunt. Allow time to learn to shoot before he goes hunting.

Agreed, I'm thinking of getting my son in to 4H archery shooting so he can learn to shoot properly.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    WindingWinds- At his drawlength and drawweight he should be shooting arrows that are 2-3" longer than his draw. It is hard to find a carbon for someone to hunt with at that draw and weight. I would suggest a Victory 600 cut to about 24".

Excellent advice here :yesway:.

Top Bottom