• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I'll let him go when he's ready, maybe late season, maybe next year, it's up to him. If he does the work and is up to weight and is accurate enough I am not going to crush him by telling him to wait. Or he might end up taking a deer during shotgun season and not want to go archery late season, hard to tell with 12 yrs olds.

We only take short range shots here, usually below 30 yards, and we do not go unprepared. I am going to guess his drawlength isn't going to change over 2-3" the next year. If he follows his brother's growth pattern he won't hit a good spurt until after age 14. So he does need a shorter arrow, thanks for the recommendation Foamkiller.

I have already had to let 2 separate does pass and a very nice buck pass last night because of one quartering in, one just a little over my yardage, or on the buck he just wouldn't stop when I called and while it would've been a 10 yard shot there were trees and a moving shot was not in my plan (what a freakin rush). My oldest son his first hunt let 2 large does pass because he knew if they didn't offer a good shot he wasn't to shoot at all. It's been a great season! I won't count the doe I missed as great, but as it was a clean miss and I recounted the yardage there I'll know whether to shoot next time. My goal is no wounded deer unless you count the dead ones.

On my oldest son, he shot a Fox Squirrel last night and his brand new Muzzy 4 blade broadhead BROKE at the screw in part and off took the squirrel into a tree with the blades in the stomach........guess I'll be shopping for better broadheads.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I'll let him go when he's ready, maybe late season, maybe next year, it's up to him. If he does the work and is up to weight and is accurate enough I am not going to crush him by telling him to wait. Or he might end up taking a deer during shotgun season and not want to go archery late season, hard to tell with 12 yrs olds.

We only take short range shots here, usually below 30 yards, and we do not go unprepared. I am going to guess his drawlength isn't going to change over 2-3" the next year. If he follows his brother's growth pattern he won't hit a good spurt until after age 14. So he does need a shorter arrow, thanks for the recommendation Foamkiller.

I have already had to let 2 separate does pass and a very nice buck pass last night because of one quartering in, one just a little over my yardage, or on the buck he just wouldn't stop when I called and while it would've been a 10 yard shot there were trees and a moving shot was not in my plan (what a freakin rush). My oldest son his first hunt let 2 large does pass because he knew if they didn't offer a good shot he wasn't to shoot at all. It's been a great season! I won't count the doe I missed as great, but as it was a clean miss and I recounted the yardage there I'll know whether to shoot next time. My goal is no wounded deer unless you count the dead ones.

On my oldest son, he shot a Fox Squirrel last night and his brand new Muzzy 4 blade broadhead BROKE at the screw in part and off took the squirrel into a tree with the blades in the stomach........guess I'll be shopping for better broadheads.

You must have had a bad broadhead. I have actually shot my Muzzy Mx-3 "by accident" into a concrete slab, had the arrow bounce off and float an addl 75 yards. All it needed was a new trocar tip. Also had one that blew a slug size hole in a does shoulder blade and its back in my #1 slot after a single blade change up. I have had great luck with them for 21.00 bucks a pack.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Wow, 160 and 170 grains. You must shoot a recurve or a longbow? (on my wishlist but waiting til after late season to begin a new adventure)

Recurve, 1976 Kodiak Magnum made in Grayling MI.:cool: and 125/135 gr. I make my arrows (except for the shaft). I'm drawing roughly 50#s out of a 55# bow. With a ~480 grain arrow I'm shooting ~9.5-10 gpp. Proven effective for most animals on the planet.

Just shows you don't need 300+ fps, mechanical BHs and 5 pin sights with a mechanical release to be deadly.:)

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Muzzy makes a great broadhead, but they are not designed for shooting squirells My guess is that the arrow struck whatever was on the other side of the squirrel (tree, stump, rock, etc.) Thus, breaking the ferrule which is aluminum. No way a squirrel will stop a muzzy!

As far as hunting with a low poundage bow, speed is not a factor I'd overly concern myself with. Get something with the correct spine for the weight he's pulling, a heavy arrow with a cut on contact head like a Magnus, and make sure the bow is tuned correctly. I firmly believe that poor arrow penetration is often due to a poorly tuned bow.:yesway:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I'm using a Mathews Z7, Victory HV arrows (6.5 grains per inch), Magnus Stinger Broadheads, Vital Gear Kazaway rest & a brand new Copper John Deadnuts Mark III sight.

I used to use a whisker biscuit before I went with the Kazaway. I bought into the drop-away hype & thought I could get more speed, especially shooting lighter arrows. I checked the speed before & after & the difference was only 3 fps :(. I really like the Kazaway but I think it wasn't worth the $130.00 I spent vs. the $30-40 for the biscuit. The biggest advantage I see with the drop-away is that there is no fletching contact so it doesn't have a chance to wear the vanes. I've never had that problem but I've seen some vanes on others arrows get a little wavy from using the WB. Also I don't know how the WB would work on vanes with a large helical twist.

No luck yet but I've seen a few (all does but I'm not too proud to shoot a doe :D). Everything has been too far away or it's been too dark. My eyes suck so I don't feel comfortable shooting until at least around 15 minutes after legal light. Maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    I'm more traditional Zwickey Delta or Eskimo BHs have proven effective. 70 years later and their design hasn't changed.

+1 on the Zwickey.

There isn't a broadhead in my quiver that hasn't punched through at least one critter. Hit it with a file, maybe glue to a new shaft and you're good to go.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    55# Bighorn Recurve. 5575 GT. 125 gr. 3 blade Snuffers.

004.jpg

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    That is a fine looking Bighorn den57. With a fletch and crown like that you should have no trouble seeing those arrows fly.

I own a Bighorn and shot a few others. There's no question in my mind why you are still shooting it. Very nice bows. It's nice to see someone else shooting an "80's" stick and string.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    Anyone use one of the rip cord red arrow rests? I have the NAP apache now and maybe making a switch for next year. I think I would like the locked upright position vs. the apache laying down.

yes sir i have one and i have no complaints with it.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    "With a fletch and crown like that you should have no trouble seeing those arrows fly.".......

Ha, no problem there. A little to good sometimes. I hunt with an old camo face mask wrapped around the fletching. Deer and turkey don't like the "brightness" of them, so I cover them when I'm hunting. :D

salemons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NorthWest Indiana
    Hopin to try hunting this year. Last year my daughter and I started "sittin in the woods with bow and arrow" after Thanksgiving. Never saw a deer until getting back to the car. Both using Quinn recurve bows. Mine is 57# and hers is 45#.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So, I posted on the official deer thread but... I got my first archery deer this year with my Hoyt Katera. I've never shot it more than 30 yards but I'd like to see how well it does a little further out.

A couple questions for you bow experts:
    1. What is range where you can still have effective terminal ballistics with a 65lb bow? (assume the accuracy is there and its a ft lb issue.)
    2. Does anyone use a bow/backpack such as BrookWood bow backpack, made in usa 40%off less than the china made!!
    if so whats your favorite?
    3. how well do the light up nooks work? ever had one scare a deer away? or give a tip off that causes the deer to move and you miss the spot you were aiming for? I've been thinking about using them after losing my first arrow (got so excited about the buck i hit that I forgot to grab the arrow--went back but never found it) but I'd rather lose an arrow than give away my position.

Thanks!

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    1. There are "professionals" who kill game at 100+ yards. Me? I try to stick to 30 yards, but practice out to 50-60 staying within minute-of-deer. Only you know the limits of your abilities, but your equipment is more than likely sufficient.

2. Nope, I use a 3-arrow Alpine Soft-Loc quiver without any complaints.

3. Don't use them, but keep in mind that they do not light up until it is shot (whether activated by pressure on the release of the arrow or by a magnetic mechanism that triggers it. I don't think the light would spook a deer on a missed shot than the arrow being shot...

Top Bottom