• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A few days ago, SWMBO purchased a jar of almond butter at Trader Joe's. She loves that stuff!

What she doesn't know is that rhino (HWMO) is eating it right now.

I may need a place to stay tonight.

Stately Freeman Manor is open to all those seeking refuge . . . oh, btw, I need help moving ammo after the painters finished in the basement and I was hoping . . .

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    By this point in the evening, Rino is probably thinking, "if I had as many knives stuck out of me as I've had stuck in me, I'd look like a porcupine. "

Don't mess with the bosses favorite chow. waaa2waaa:ar15:

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Never tried it... now my mind is wondering if I have been missing out...

Raw, organic almond butter cures disease, but it costs $16+ per 8 ounce jar. Roasted almond butter tastes better, but it is not as healthy.

Most peanut butter can cause serious health issues and people keep eating it even when they get sick because it can happen slowly and they don't realize what's causing their problems. A friend told me about his 2 year old son who was diagnosed with seriously high cholesterol. I asked my friend if his son ate a lot of peanut butter and he answered "Every day". A 2 year old child should not have high cholesterol unless that child eats peanut butter with partially hydrogenated soybean oil - That's what makes Jiffy and Skippy so creamy. The link explains what type of peanut butter is healthy.

The Verdict?
    Peanuts and peanut butter actually can be food that supports and boosts metabolism and fat loss if you consume them with the other rights foods and as part of a proper diet, because peanuts are high-protein snacks that are high as well in easily burned carbohydrates; in fact, they’re one of the highest plant-based forms of protein available today.So can peanuts be healthy? Yes, they can if you buy high-quality, organic peanuts like Valencia peanuts and you get plenty of omega-3 fats in your diet — and that extends to peanut butter, of course.But here’s the problem: 99 percent of the peanut butter and peanuts people buy in America have hydrogenated oils added, and they’re non-organic. That’s what adds to the omega-6 count and makes peanut butter unhealthy. Sadly, 99.9 percent of peanut butter out there today is absolute junk. It’s not good for you, and it can even cause weight gain, disease-causing inflammation and inflammatory reactions in the body.The good news is you don’t have to consume this unhealthy, processed form of peanut butter. Buy or make your own natural, organic peanut butter instead, and the peanut butter can actually be good for you.
    https://draxe.com/peanut-butter-nutrition-facts/

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do they have a no sugar added version?

Sorry - a better response would have been: You buy the strawberries from Trinity Acres certified organic farm in Darlington (once they're ready) and then you can make your own jelly/jam/preserves with as little or as much sugar as you want.

Awesome. I was trying to get another Hawaiian vacation nailed down for my wife and I thru Costco. Kauai was one of the potential spots - but nothing really meshed together this time.

Raw, organic almond butter cures disease, but it costs $16+ per 8 ounce jar. Roasted almond butter tastes better, but it is not as healthy.

Most peanut butter can cause serious health issues and people keep eating it even when they get sick because it can happen slowly and they don't realize what's causing their problems. A friend told me about his 2 year old son who was diagnosed with seriously high cholesterol. I asked my friend if his son ate a lot of peanut butter and he answered "Every day". A 2 year old child should not have high cholesterol unless that child eats peanut butter with partially hydrogenated soybean oil - That's what makes Jiffy and Skippy so creamy. The link explains what type of peanut butter is healthy.

The Verdict?
    Peanuts and peanut butter actually can be food that supports and boosts metabolism and fat loss if you consume them with the other rights foods and as part of a proper diet, because peanuts are high-protein snacks that are high as well in easily burned carbohydrates; in fact, they’re one of the highest plant-based forms of protein available today.So can peanuts be healthy? Yes, they can if you buy high-quality, organic peanuts like Valencia peanuts and you get plenty of omega-3 fats in your diet — and that extends to peanut butter, of course.But here’s the problem: 99 percent of the peanut butter and peanuts people buy in America have hydrogenated oils added, and they’re non-organic. That’s what adds to the omega-6 count and makes peanut butter unhealthy. Sadly, 99.9 percent of peanut butter out there today is absolute junk. It’s not good for you, and it can even cause weight gain, disease-causing inflammation and inflammatory reactions in the body.The good news is you don’t have to consume this unhealthy, processed form of peanut butter. Buy or make your own natural, organic peanut butter instead, and the peanut butter can actually be good for you.

I hope that NO ONE takes "Dr." Axe seriously.

Legitimate source needed for the above information. And anything by "Dr." Axe isn't it.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County

Legitimate source needed for the above information. And anything by "Dr." Axe isn't it.[/QUOTE]

You're muddying up the water a little.
    I should have not commented at all. I still view INGO almost everyday, but I stopped commenting a couple of years ago. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped.
    The quote from the Dr. Axe article is accurate. Partially hydrogenated oils are about as bad as any of the very worst foods to consume; add in some mold and the peanut butter is extra bad. Organic almond butter is the best and if you have to consume peanut butter it should be organic and without added oil from palm or any type of hydrogenated oil.

Mold and hydrogenated oils shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
    The links are just articles about peanut butter. You can read something from the AMA, but they are the same folks that told us that soybeans were good and eggs were bad.

https://www.foodsforbetterhealth.com/6-reasons-you-should-never-eat-peanut-butter-7037

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/healthy-tips/2009/09/peanut-butter-good-or-bad

https://www.thealternativedaily.com/the-truth-about-peanut-butter-and-health/

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So what you're saying is that Rhino could get cut by the handle of a butter knife?

Well, I suspect the likelihood goes up... the fewer people there are in the room with him.

After studying his injury posts for a while, it appears he is one of those who is “going to play with it until someone gets hurt”.

And being a pretty stand up guy, he makes sure that “someone” is him, if possible.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

The Verdict?

A few things, if a 2 yr old is getting their cholesterol tested, it's due to having high risk factors. Such as obesity and heredity. They don't just check them at that age for a physical without a reason. None of my kids ever had a cholesterol test suggested or even offered by a Dr.

As for his advice, I'd take it with a grain or preferable a couple of 40 lbs of salt. Here is why, he implies at least that valencia and jungle peanuts are one and the same. They are not, valencia is a type of peanut similar to the different strains of let's say oranges or tomatoes. Jungle peanuts are different, they are simply a peanut that is grown in the jungle. Most of the valencia peanuts grown in the US are grown in New mexico, not many jungles there. He also says they are not grown in the ground. :): Virtually all peanuts are grown in the ground, same as potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, etc. They grow underground, simple as that. And he also says that 99% of all peanut butter and peanuts sold in the US contain hydrogenated oil. That is true but no major brand of peanut butter in the US contains partially hydrogenated oil, they do contain fully hydrogenated oil which doesn't contain trans fats. Which is what make partially hydrogenated oils bad for you. Shall I go on?

Legitimate source needed for the above information. And anything by "Dr." Axe isn't it.

You're muddying up the water a little.
    I should have not commented at all. I still view INGO almost everyday, but I stopped commenting a couple of years ago. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped.
    The quote from the Dr. Axe article is accurate. Partially hydrogenated oils are about as bad as any of the very worst foods to consume; add in some mold and the peanut butter is extra bad. Organic almond butter is the best and if you have to consume peanut butter it should be organic and without added oil from palm or any type of hydrogenated oil.

Mold and hydrogenated oils shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
    The links are just articles about peanut butter. You can read something from the AMA, but they are the same folks that told us that soybeans were good and eggs were bad.

https://www.foodsforbetterhealth.com/6-reasons-you-should-never-eat-peanut-butter-7037

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/healthy-tips/2009/09/peanut-butter-good-or-bad

https://www.thealternativedaily.com/the-truth-about-peanut-butter-and-health/[/QUOTE]

As I stated above, no major brands of peanut butter contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. I just checked 3 different brands none had partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, they did have fully hydrogenated vegetable oil though which doesn't contain trans fats. Also are you referring to palm oil or palm kernel oil? There is a difference. In fact a lot of the palm oil used in this country isn't hydrogenated, it's used because it doesn't contain trans fats but is a semi solid at room temperature so it can replace partially hydrogenated oils in baking and such.

As for the mold, see above about what other vegetables are grown in the ground. Does he have the same concern with these? Also most peanuts are washed and cooked before consuming, which should either remove and/or kill any mold.

And check out Dr. Axe's credentials. He lists himself as a certified Doctor of Natural Medicine. Certified by who? Here is an article that explains the differences between a "Dr of Natural Medicine" and a "Naturopathic Dr" or as sometimes refereed to as a "Dr of Naturopathic Medicine."
    ND & DNM: What?s the Difference? - Vitality Magazine

And I see why you quit posting very often if you can't handle being questioned about a questionable source.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    As I stated above, no major brands of peanut butter contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. I just checked 3 different brands none had partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, they did have fully hydrogenated vegetable oil though which doesn't contain trans fats. Also are you referring to palm oil or palm kernel oil? There is a difference. In fact a lot of the palm oil used in this country isn't hydrogenated, it's used because it doesn't contain trans fats but is a semi solid at room temperature so it can replace partially hydrogenated oils in baking and such.

And check out Dr. Axe's credentials. He lists himself as a certified Doctor of Natural Medicine. Certified by who? Here is an article that explains the differences between a "Dr of Natural Medicine" and a "Naturopathic Dr" or as sometimes refereed to as a "Dr of Naturopathic Medicine."
    ND & DNM: What?s the Difference? - Vitality Magazine

And I see why you quit posting very often if you can't handle being questioned about a questionable source.

I made the mistake of typing “partially” the first time I mentioned the hydrogenated oil. Just because it doesn’t contain trans fats doesn’t mean that soybean or corn oil is healthy in any form. I was trying to encourage folks to eat almond butter instead of peanut butter.

I farm some and travel a lot as a consultant (Engineering/product handling/maintenance = not health or nutrition). I help people with their diets almost every day I'm on the road. I didn't know any sick people when I was a kid, but that is not what we see today. Children have way too many ailments for no good reasons. A lot of them have allergic reactions to peanut butter. I send people the Dr. Axe information often. The diet information for high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol are very easy to understand. Yes, he’s out to make money, but they all are.

https://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/peanut-allergy

My wife and I have eaten a lot of peanut butter. I am an old guy, we had no health problems, never had a family doctor and we don't take medications. About a year ago I had a cough for
    several days. I got home and told my wife about it, she said "Yeah, it's the peanut butter, I stopped eating it and the cough went away". I thought that was nuts (:)) that she didn't tell me about it, but my cough ended when I stopped eating it. That was the good peanut butter we had been eating off and on for years. We switched to almond butter. My wife cannot eat any peanut butter now without an allergic reaction. A couple of months later my wife got a serious infection that ended up with a bill of $120K, reduced to $80K because we don’t have health insurance. The infection was probably just a coincidence.

Rhino - I’m sorry this thread took a detour. Stop sneaking your SWMBO's almond butter and just buy more. It’s a great snack and it is a very healthy food. It is less expensive to purchase whole almonds and make your own; more than double for the money and you’ll be the processor instead of a bunch of illegals.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... It is less expensive to purchase whole almonds and make your own; more than double for the money...

Got a recipe/link for instructions? Links to the pest pricing for ingredients?

Love me some healthy celery sticks with [STRIKE]pnut[/STRIKE] almond butter.

FYI - the expensive name brand almond butter I bought was quite lacking in salt.

Last edited:

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County

FYI - the expensive name brand almond butter I bought was quite lacking in salt.

All you need is a heavy-duty processor. You can purchase raw almonds or roasted. Raw almond butter tastes a little strange plain so most folks add sea salt. Use real sea salt, not a refined version. You can add a sweetener, vanilla extract, or cinnamon. If you start doing that you'll need a 55 gallon drum because it will go fast. You can also add walnuts, but don't use bitter or rancid nuts.

DIY Almond Butter
    https://downshiftology.com/how-to-make-homemade-almond-butter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr3vcPUcjs4

Health Reasons - Blood Pressure and Diabetes
    https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/best-nuts-diabetes-walnuts-almonds-more/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/478414-almonds-blood-pressure/

https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/almonds#potential-benefits

Sea Salt - Nobody should eat cheap table salt, ever. Salt is good; I read that in my favorite Book. The cheap salt folks have been eating for decades will make you sick.

https://www.vitacost.com/redmond-real-salt-ancient-sea-salt-fine

https://www.vitacost.com/selina-naturally-celtic-sea-salt-fine-ground-1-lb-1

https://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/celtic-sea-salt.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/260852-health-benefits-of-celtic-sea-salt/

https://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/table-salt-is-poison/
    [h=3]Why are Many People Still Using Table Salt?[/h]
    [FONT=&amp]Because well over 90% of the world’s salt is being used directly for industrial purposes that require pure sodium chloride. The remaining percentage is used for preserving processes and ends up on your kitchen table.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]With the use of rigorous advertising, the salt industry is successful in convincing you there are actually health advantages to adding potentially toxic iodine and fluoride to salt. In addition, your table salt very often contains dangerous preservatives not required to be listed on the packaging.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aluminum hydroxide is often added to improve the ability of table salt to pour. Aluminum is a light alloy that deposits into your brain – a potential cause of Alzheimer’s disease.[/FONT]

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've ground my own pink Himalayan sea salt for years. The only other stuff around here is seldom used canning and curing salts.

I have a Vitamix and a fair supply of Blue Diamond roasted Almonds. Might just give this a try.

Thank you! :ingo:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Rhino - I’m sorry this thread took a detour. Stop sneaking your SWMBO's almond butter and just buy more. It’s a great snack and it is a very healthy food. It is less expensive to purchase whole almonds and make your own; more than double for the money and you’ll be the processor instead of a bunch of illegals.

Whipped up some Almond butter in the Vitamix last evening. I used the salted/roasted almonds I had on hand.

81zHiKeCdsL._SL1500_.jpg

I gave the nuts a drizzle of avacado oil and a short grind of pink salt. Turned out great. Taste is wonderful.

I might have gotten away with skipping the additional oil, as it could have been a bit thicker. It was warm out of the blender though, haven't checked today.

What I am I loosing using roasted nuts vs raw?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whipped up some Almond butter in the Vitamix last evening. I used the salted/roasted almonds I had on hand.

I gave the nuts a drizzle of avacado oil and a short grind of pink salt. Turned out great. Taste is wonderful.

I might have gotten away with skipping the additional oil, as it could have been a bit thicker. I was warm out of the blender though, haven't checked today.

What I am I loosing using roasted nuts vs raw?

The only way to know is to eat of a jar of your next to a jar made from raw almonds. I volunteer. Bring crackers too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Nut butters, besides peanut, are for amateurs. Cookie Butter is what you steal from SWMBO. I don’t recommend it unless you run a combine 40 or better!

Top Bottom