• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many thanks for all the great advice and tips in this thread. Almonds and almond butter from them is a regular on my daily diet now.

AddQKJN.jpg

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Whipped up some Almond butter in the Vitamix last evening. I used the salted/roasted almonds I had on hand.

What I am I loosing using roasted nuts vs raw?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/raw-vs-roasted-nuts#section6

From the link:
    The Bottom Line
    [FONT=&amp]Both raw and roasted nuts are good for you and provide health benefits.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Both varieties contain similar amounts of calories, protein, carbs and fiber.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]However, roasting nuts may damage their healthy fat, reduce their nutrient content and lead to the formation of a harmful substance called acrylamide.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]On the other side, raw nuts are more likely than roasted nuts to contain harmful bacteria like Salmonella.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]That said, these risks are low.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Importantly, how nuts are roasted can have a big impact on their nutrient content. If you roast them yourself, keep the temperature relatively low, at about 284°F (140°C) for 15 minutes. The nuts should come out with a lightly roasted color.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Also, make sure not to store them for too long, since they have a limited shelf life. Only roast nuts that you are planning to eat over the next few days.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]The final recommendation is simple — include raw or roasted nuts in your diet for better health.

Not from the link:
    [/FONT]
    Raw or roasted = All good. Mold or rancid food is always a possibility. Take probiotics or fermented food and you can eat just about anything without fear of eating something bad. You can drink raw apple cider vinegar, kombucha, or kefir to provide probiotics. Probiotics can also cure acid reflux and krones. Kefir has an effect on the blood so excessive amounts can cause marital issues.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/raw-vs-roasted-nuts#section6

From the link:
    The Bottom Line
    [FONT=&amp]Both raw and roasted nuts are good for you and provide health benefits.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Both varieties contain similar amounts of calories, protein, carbs and fiber.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]However, roasting nuts may damage their healthy fat, reduce their nutrient content and lead to the formation of a harmful substance called acrylamide.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]On the other side, raw nuts are more likely than roasted nuts to contain harmful bacteria like Salmonella.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]That said, these risks are low.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Importantly, how nuts are roasted can have a big impact on their nutrient content. If you roast them yourself, keep the temperature relatively low, at about 284°F (140°C) for 15 minutes. The nuts should come out with a lightly roasted color.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Also, make sure not to store them for too long, since they have a limited shelf life. Only roast nuts that you are planning to eat over the next few days.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]The final recommendation is simple — include raw or roasted nuts in your diet for better health.

Not from the link:
    [/FONT]
    Raw or roasted = All good. Mold or rancid food is always a possibility. Take probiotics or fermented food and you can eat just about anything without fear of eating something bad. You can drink raw apple cider vinegar, kombucha, or kefir to provide probiotics. Probiotics can also cure acid reflux and krones. Kefir has an effect on the blood so excessive amounts can cause marital issues.

Very helpful info, thank you. I've been roasting at 350 for 8 minutes. I'll give your figures a try.

Fermented foods and ACV are regulars in my diet. This is good affirmation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Been on this recipe for about six months now. It might be the final edition?

Roasted Almonds

17 minutes @ 285 degrees (set oven timer, let cool in oven)
    Smoked sweet paprika / green garlic powder / salt / black pepper
    Stirred to cover in enough ghee to be wet

20210213_211129.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Been on this recipe for about six months now. It might be the final edition?

Roasted Almonds

17 minutes @ 285 degrees (set oven timer, let cool in oven)
    Smoked sweet paprika / green garlic powder / salt / black pepper
    Stirred to cover in enough ghee to be wet

View attachment 125631
    This thread should have ended with COOKIE BUTTER, but you nut butters won’t let it die!

Top Bottom