• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have to disagree with many of the above comments. WE (collective citizens of the United States) have the RIGHT to bear arms. This RIGHT does not have restrictions on Race, Religion or manner of dress. The only age requirement in the state of Indiana is that the person is over 21.

Now I do not advocate, nor would I sell to anyone that is, or appears to be intoxicated, mentally unstable etc. But to restrict sales to people that don't "appear" to be the kind of citizen you like smacks of "Gun Control" in my estimation! To try and "judge" what kind of person you should sell your firearm to, is something I would not do!

How many here would be up in arms and boycott a shop if it became known a shop refused to sell a firearm to a person due to his appearance? According to the ATF laws, as long as the person is of legal age (for private sale in Indiana 18 YO), a resident of the state, and you have no "REASONABLE CAUSE" to know or suspect the person is illegal to possess a firearm you can sell the firearm to him without any issue.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    I guess my question is this, so you post a HANDGUN for sale, and someone replies you meet up, and because there is no requirement for paperwork, only to make sure of 3 things, the person is not a mental defect, felon , is at least 18 and a resident of the state of Indiana and you end up selling that person your handgun, and it ends up being that the person lied to you about their residence, they actually live in Kentucky. Would the seller be in the clear?

Gunner

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    I have to disagree with many of the above comments. WE (collective citizens of the United States) have the RIGHT to bear arms. This RIGHT does not have restrictions on Race, Religion or manner of dress. The only age requirement in the state of Indiana is that the person is over 21.

Now I do not advocate, nor would I sell to anyone that is, or appears to be intoxicated, mentally unstable etc. But to restrict sales to people that don't "appear" to be the kind of citizen you like smacks of "Gun Control" in my estimation! To try and "judge" what kind of person you should sell your firearm to, is something I would not do!

How many here would be up in arms and boycott a shop if it became known a shop refused to sell a firearm to a person due to his appearance? According to the ATF laws, as long as the person is of legal age (for private sale in Indiana 18 YO), a resident of the state, and you have no "REASONABLE CAUSE" to know or suspect the person is illegal to possess a firearm you can sell the firearm to him without any issue.

Saggy pants may have the RIGHT to bear arms, but I have the right to not sell it to him :)

PULL UP YOUR PANTS!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We all have the right to keep and bear arms- true.

However, there is no duty on any private citizen to take affirmative acts to help any other person obtain a firearm, including selling to him.

Just like a private employer can fire you for exercising your freedom of speech that the government could never restrict, I can choose who I will and will not sell to.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Better safe than sorry IMO. If the buyer is 18 or older and a proper person and a resident of Indiana, you can sell it to the individual.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

There is a difference between what I as a private citizen can do and the restrictions placed on our government by its founding document.

If someone is in my house saying something I don't like or disagree with I can require them to leave. I do not have the same right nor does anyone else if that person is in a public space.

If I am running a business I have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as it is not based on the protected classes. As a private citizen I can refuse to sell my private property to anyone for any reason I wish.

icky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    montpelier
    I have to agree with Larry c. There are a lot of people on here that seem to love their right to bare arms as long as they can pick and choose who else gets to. At some point you have to have a little faith in your fellow man. if any of you were told that you couldnt buy a firearm because you were too old seemed a little feeble you wouldnt be so quick to judge. or if you have been devorced you cant buy a gun because it shows you have made bad decisions in your life you wouldnt think that was ok.IM sure there are some 19 year Olds running around Afghanistan with m4s right now that would not agree with you fellows. and would not appriciate it.

Last edited:

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Even though I may disagree with someone's choice to bare arms, I will continue to support their right to do so:

Madonna%3A+No+right+to+bare+arms

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Don't trust an 18 year old with a private gun sale. But we can give a 17 and 18 year old guns and ship them overseas, LOL?

Money from a 20 year old is just as green as money from a 21 year old.

The federal FFL regulations are an infringement, and nothing more.

Private sales are 18 and older.

What I am more worried about is that both parties don't know what they are doing

You have no idea what laws you have to follow in order to sell a gun.

And the other person didn't put you in your place, so that leads be to believe he didn't fully know them either.

Unless they give you cause to believe they cannot legally purchase the weapon, then you are good to go. There is no requirement to ask questions, request documents, etc.

So I don't know what you mean by " I forgot to ask the legal questions "...

There are none, and asking for a DL/LTCH/etc is just silly. IF you are that worried about the person you are selling the gun to, then go do a PPT at an FFL.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When I was 18 I went down to my LGS to buy a Ruger M77 rifle. I think at the time (1974) the law was 18 for rifles and shotguns, but don't remember anymore. The shop owner would not sell me the rifle (I looked about 13 when I was 18), he wanted me to go home and bring back a note from my dad giving permission. At the time it I didn't like it, but I wanted the rifle so I went along with him and got the note from my dad. I continued to shop there, and the owner and his wife were always friendly to me. They always had a coffee pot brewing and he liked to talk guns over a cup of coffee. Tragically, the shop owner's wife Delores was shot and killed in a robbery in their store in 1992, she was 56 at the time. Frank the owner himself was shot and killed in another robbery in their in 2000, he was 73 when he was killed. Very sad, but the neighborhood where I grew up deteriorated radically over the years, so I can sympathize with his cautious attitude towards me in the beginning, and they were always nice to me afterwards, so I don't hold any hard feelings about that episode any more. The name of the store was Firearms Unlimited.

Here's a couple related articles:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...hree-hammond-gun-possession-charge-shop-owner

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_e73e595f-9545-5dc0-8374-97e0707727dd.html

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/l...d-of-2000-hammond-homicide-begins-monday.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom