• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    A year or two ago I ordered some 30-06 ammo from CMP. I ordered 1 spam can with 200 rounds. I received 3 spam cans full. When I opened the packages I found a shipping label inside for a gentleman in Florida. All the labeling on the outside was addressed to me. I called the CMP and told them what happened. I offered to purchase them if they would reduce the price somewhat (didn't really need them). They did drop the shipping ~ otherwise they would have to pay the shipping from my location back to CMP and then to Florida. Like the OP, I wouldn't have felt right just keeping them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just curious, What legal trouble would he have been in if he kept it?

That risk assessment depends on information he doesn't know - whether the company can figure out where they sent it.

We recently ordered something from Amazon, household stuff. We got the package, but it didn't have what we ordered. Our address was on the box, but the shipping manifest wasn't ours. The problem was, the manifest wasn't what was actually in the box, either. It was a 3 way mixup: our box, someone else's stuff, some completely different's packing list. We called, but they didn't care. They shipped us our stuff.

The box was accessories for a consumer product we don't even have, and only about $20 in value. Still sitting here. We're not sure what to do with it.

If it was THAT kind of mixup, not sure the company would sort it out, but I'm confident the ATF would "help" them.

Worst case is scrutiny from the ATF, I think. Maybe a theft/conversion charge. Not my world, though, so not totally sure. Maybe a 5% chance of actually getting away with it without any issues.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I found out that it would have been really hard for them to trace it is because there was no order number for that item. It was basically unlabeled and shipped under my order. My order didn't have any description of it at all. And I verified it when I called them, I even gave them the serial number of the item and they still had no idea. I spoke to 3 different persons from different dept and none of them had any idea. I finally got tired and just said just email me the return shipping label and I'll drop them off. All they know is that item was supposed to go their warehouse. It would have been a missing item.

It would take a really good detective to figure it out if they look at all the shipping labels (hundreds, if not thousands) and that clue would be the shipping weight. I ordered 3 CZ shadow mags that weight 12lbs. If they are keen, then that would have been the only clue they'll have.

When I had the tracking number for my mags, the weight caught my eyes and I was like "what the hell are they sending me?".

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    A year or two ago I ordered some 30-06 ammo from CMP. I ordered 1 spam can with 200 rounds. I received 3 spam cans full. When I opened the packages I found a shipping label inside for a gentleman in Florida. All the labeling on the outside was addressed to me. I called the CMP and told them what happened. I offered to purchase them if they would reduce the price somewhat (didn't really need them). They did drop the shipping ~ otherwise they would have to pay the shipping from my location back to CMP and then to Florida. Like the OP, I wouldn't have felt right just keeping them.

It's not like you had to keep it forever you know. It shoots up pretty fast.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good on you.

I'm sure that serial number would have eventually been flagged by the ATF (maybe not right away, but eventually it'd be flagged). If you'd have ever gotten pulled over on your way to the range and they ran that serial number.....could have been bad news.

I bet CDNN about **** their pants. I'm sure there could have been some pretty serious repercussions for sending a firearm directly to someone like that. That's a pretty big no no. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you didn't get any real answers when you called because nobody wanted to admit what may have happened. Basically nobody wanted to accept blame and potentially lose their or someone elses job.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And I doubt you're the only one, just the only one honest enough to say it...

Which is ironic, being the only one "honest" enough to admit you'd do something dishonest.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know, I wonder what the law actually is on something like this. I know for "regular" stuff, if you receive something you didn't order you're under no legal obligation to return it. I know shipping a firearm directly to a non-FFL is a no-no, but receiving it? Is that covered somewhere?

Top Bottom