images

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Only one problem with your two options:

once a rifle, *always* a rifle. You can't legally just take the butt stock off, and put a pistol buffer on, and have a pistol. It is still considered in the eyes of the ATF to be a rifle. Especially if there are pictures floating around of it as a rifle.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Only one problem with your two options:

once a rifle, *always* a rifle. You can't legally just take the butt stock off, and put a pistol buffer on, and have a pistol. It is still considered in the eyes of the ATF to be a rifle. Especially if there are pictures floating around of it as a rifle.

I disagree. A shotgun with a pistol grip is legally, a handgun. With a stock, it's a shotgun. Simple change. I don't see why a rifle is any different.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I disagree. A shotgun with a pistol grip is legally, a handgun. With a stock, it's a shotgun. Simple change. I don't see why a rifle is any different.

Banned for thinking that the BATFE would be logical in its approach to firearms.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

a shotgun with a stock is a shotgun, and thus has a least an 18" barrel, and at least 26" long (I think thats the right length).

A shotgun that has the stock removed, and a pistol grip installed is still a shotgun because it is still 26" long, still has an 18" barrel, and was already a shotgun.

a shotgun that has NEVER had a stock installed and comes from the manufacturer with a pistol grip can probably be classified as a pistol.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    a shotgun with a stock is a shotgun, and thus has a least an 18" barrel, and at least 26" long (I think thats the right length).

A shotgun that has the stock removed, and a pistol grip installed is still a shotgun because it is still 26" long, still has an 18" barrel, and was already a shotgun.

a shotgun that has NEVER had a stock installed and comes from the manufacturer with a pistol grip can probably be classified as a pistol.

Yes. Okay. A shotgun that comes from the factory with a pistol grip is a handgun. This is where the law gets icky, because most Mossy 500s come with a pistol grip in the box, which is fine to install, but when sold, it's a long gun. You're probably right. Perhaps installing the pistol grip does not reclass it.

Top Bottom