Alternative Greases for Bolt Actions- What have you used/Avoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Grease is NOT for an AR.

Grease is for older firearms that had a lot of large metal products sliding against each other.

Oh really? Educate me then. LOL. Sorry man but you're wrong on this. I don't mean that in a mean way. Try it. It won't hurt anything on your AR.
    High temp grease properly applied on your BCG will outlast the other brands I'm telling you and you'll have a well running machine in the heat of summer and it doesn't freeze in the winter like some other products will.
    I've really used and abused Ar's with grease in them and they run.
    Also I see a lot of people with underlubed AR10's and they don't run. Throw this grease on your BCG and unless you just have an out of spec rifle, the grease is gonna help you out a lot

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Have a tube of hillman graphite lock grease. While I know little about it I was told by my lock guy at work that it does well as slide grease on guns also. Mainly use a touch here and there on 10-22 for cold weather lube 1911 slides.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Lucas gun extreme duty grease

I use the entire line from Lucas extreme duty oil,grease and the new CLP

Great stuff

Concur with Trigger Time on AR lube if you gonna be running though A lot of rounds in a training day or you get them Hot is when properly lubed AR will shine.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm also a user of grease on AR's. Can't remember what kind of grease I use, want to say Slip 2000. Part of why I use what I do is scent, or more accurately, lack of scent because I also hunt with them. Since I've switched to grease I've had zero failures due to using it, even in temps around 0f where the rifle had lots of time to freeze up, and even my highest round count AR looks almost brand new internally. Cleaning is easier,crud just wipes off. Also after cleaning and re lubing the grease stays where I put it and doesn't run off or evaporate. It's nice to be able to grab a rifle, slap in a mag, and start shooting without fooling around adding oil before even starting. Only downside to grease that I've found is you really need to pay attention to what you're doing while lubing and not just squirting oil all over everything.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Hmm, i dont think i have used grease on my bolt actions, i usually use oil. Granted im down to just a few bolt guns. I have always liked kroil myself. I do use grease on my 1911 slides and bolt on my ar.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have found engine assembly lube to be a great lubricant for firearms of all types when used judiciously.
    A couple of my favorites are Pematex and Lubriplate 105.
    Both work well and cost less than most 'gun' lubricants.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Paternal grandfather used "door hinge grease", solidified grease, melted it on a stove or fire across France. I assume it was French, but you can find .mil grease at gun shows.

I have melted it in those disposable pans and lube up my guns that like to run wet 1911s, M14s, inter alia with it. Works great.

But what happens as it cools down and re-solidifies?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I use whatever I have in my shop at the time. Penetrating oil , carb clean, bra clean , and compressed air for cleaning. Grease in summer is good. Winter I switch over to Marvel Mystery Oil for everything that needs it. Dump it in a spray bottle.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Lots of oils and grease is made and shipped from the big petro plants in giant 55 gallon drums or maybe even train tankers. Where it is put into fancy greases where maybe a die or some secret formula is added. (Special sauce ) lots of them are just placed from 55 gallon drum into small tubes. The small tubes then get fancy or generic labels and prices.

I know that revolver lube and my lock spray according the the factory rep are exactly the same expect the label on the outside. So I would take it lots of our favorite things are just packaged differently and in the end contain 98 percent of the same stuff. With 22’s I like a couple of greases for low temp and they don’t seem to catch the ammo dirty as bad. The key is they don’t take but a pinch to work.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Take 0w20 oil and make a nice applicator to apply it give it a fancy catchy name buy some ad space in some gun mags or online and bang you have a winner product. Or 0w/20 in a nice applicator.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Take 0w20 oil and make a nice applicator to apply it give it a fancy catchy name buy some ad space in some gun mags or online and bang you have a winner product. Or 0w/20 in a nice applicator.

I went to hobby lobby and bought some aplicator bottles. They work great.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Funny you should ask. I was just looking to buy some general purpose hi-speed hi-temp grease for all around use on my firearms and reloading dies. Checked all my LGS, and the prices for anywhere from .4oz ($12) to 1oz ($14-$19.99) I felt were outrageous. Same day I was in Manards and they had a 16oz tub of Lucas Oil 100% synthetic hi-speed hi-temp bearing grease for $7.99 so I bought it. I know a fair amount about bearings and hi-temp bearing grease and it will serve my needs just fine and a life times supply cost me 1/14th as much. I use either a cotton swab or tooth pic as an applicator. As a side note it turns out we use the same exact Lucas Oil hi-speed hi-temp bearing grease at work and no firearm on earth will ever be exposed to the stress factors that the bearings where I work are subjected to millions of times a year and run fine for years and years, so I KNOW it will work great.

I think gun grease is another instance where we gun owners "over think" things and get duped into paying way to much for wiz-bang grease due to advertisement that causes us to overlook much more affordable but equally good alturnatives.

I do chuckle a bit as to why I never thought or considered all these years of getting the grease free from work.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom