• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Although Im not happy about WMs new postion overall on guns, I am very pleased they are discontining most ammo. The reason being is these sales will transition to other retailers that are more 2A friendly and LGS. Walmart wont miss the money one bit, but to small business owners it can make a big difference. I have no problem spending a few dollars more per box to support other 2A friendly businesses. Personally I buy a lot of my ammo from Cabelas due to close proximity to my house and availibility of what I need. Prices may not always be the best compared to online but reasonable.

Good points. Wal-Mart sells a lot of crappy, steel cased ammo; it’s cheap. Perfect running hundreds of rounds through a Glock or an AK. I bet Wal-Mart sells a billion of these rounds annually. The market will be flooded with them, and the LGSs won’t have to mark them up much.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Sign up for "coupons" and sales. Usually competitive prices then from what I have found. I never buy at regular price. Picked up 2 boxes of 124gr Blazer brass 9mm for $17 a few weeks back for example.

I haven't signed up for their coupons - I might check that out. I went into our Dunhams a couple weeks ago to buy a couple boxes of .380ACP for my son's birthday gift to go along with his new pistol. Cheapest .380ACP Dunhams had was $22 a box for either Blazer Brass or Aguila. I needed them for his gift so I paid the high price. Then I got home and got an e-mail from Natchez that had .380 Aguila or Blazer Brass on sale online for 11.99 each plus a flat $5 shipping rate. I could have bought him almost twice as much ammo online for the same price as going to Dunhams. And at Dunhams I had to ask someone to unlock the ammo case so I could get the two boxes and then they only had 1 cashier. Took me over 30 minutes in the store to get 2 boxes of ammo.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I scored 400 rounds of Federal .223 there last night. They said after warehouse is empty, no more.

No offense dude, but that is why I won’t be buying any ammo from Walmart. Let it sit in their wharehouse and rot. Flipping inventory is the life blood of big box stores. They often get 90 or 180 day terms on interest. Let it rot and cost them money.

I haven't signed up for their coupons - I might check that out. I went into our Dunhams a couple weeks ago to buy a couple boxes of .380ACP for my son's birthday gift to go along with his new pistol. Cheapest .380ACP Dunhams had was $22 a box for either Blazer Brass or Aguila. I needed them for his gift so I paid the high price. Then I got home and got an e-mail from Natchez that had .380 Aguila or Blazer Brass on sale online for 11.99 each plus a flat $5 shipping rate. I could have bought him almost twice as much ammo online for the same price as going to Dunhams. And at Dunhams I had to ask someone to unlock the ammo case so I could get the two boxes and then they only had 1 cashier. Took me over 30 minutes in the store to get 2 boxes of ammo.

Should have come seen me. I have cases of Aquila for a lot less then $22 a box. Online is and will always be cheaper if you work the shipping right. But for small quantity purchases look around.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    When I buy online it is from SGAmmo. People also mentioned TargetSports and LuckyGunner.

What is wrong with the local gun shop? Seriously guys? I help my friend part time at his gun shop and he is a good dude, goes to church, has two kids, supports local schools and the gun club. He sells 9mm for $10 a box just like WalMart. Let’s say it is a buck more a box, not like that will break up 99% of people buying ammo. Most people consider 500 rounds to be A LOT. It’s like driving all over town or waiting in a 15 minute line to save 3 cents on a gallon of gas, my time and convenience is worth more then saving $0.40 on a fillup.

I don't know how your friend runs his shop or how his pricing is but here's my issues with my area on the west/northwest side of Indy.

#1 Let's start with my biggest issue. During the ammo scare under obama, my LGS was sending his guys into Wal-Mart to buy out the 22LR bricks. The asshat then seperated it into baggies of 50 and put a $35 price tag on it. Don's and my LGS are the last places (in that order) I go looking for anything firearms related because of the gouging. Screw your community over/Be the one to throw fuel on the fire, people are going to remember, you will loose customers.

#2 Location, Wal-Mart is 1.2 miles from home. It's right across the street from where I park my company vehicle in Avon. It's just easier to get to and usually most gun shops are closed when I get off work. I get the guys that run the LGS have lives to and they don't want to be open too late in hopes of a few sales. It's just not effecient.

#3 Better pricing, I was paying $9 - $10 a box of 9mm 50ct at Walmart. Most shops are/were charging $18 - $20 for the same stuff. I totally get LGS's have to make money and it's hard to compete. I had an uncle that ran a shop back in Ohio and my wife's uncle owns Tomlinson's back in Busco. If shops had reasonable ammo prices Like Tomlinson's back in Busco and Fort Libery in Avon does, less people would be complaining about Wal-Mart not selling ammo and they wouldn't be shopping on line for it either. When it comes to punching holes in paper or bouncing rounds off steel, people want the cheap stuff. When it comes to protecting the lives of my family or most of my co-workers, I will spend the extra on the good stuff.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Grab a gun seems to have good pricing, about Wal-Mart....

Not sure about Walmarts in Indiana but some of the ones here had Remington Green and White Box 223 for $16.99 for 50 today we went to Wal-Mart today, we wanted to see Walter ( he is a Navy veteran in his 80's ) whose last day was today. Just grins and giggles we went by Ammo counter same box of 223 now $32.99!

And no we did not spend a dime there.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don's and my LGS are the last places (in that order) I go looking for anything firearms related because of the gouging.

I don't understand how Don's stays in business. The ammo is twice as high as most LGS; its gun prices are totally inflated. Sure, it's an accessible range for Westsiders, but it is the worst range in town. And, I don't think it's staying in business selling bait and tackle...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't understand how Don's stays in business. The ammo is twice as high as most LGS; its gun prices are totally inflated. Sure, it's an accessible range for Westsiders, but it is the worst range in town. And, I don't think it's staying in business selling bait and tackle...

Easy. Hyper local clientele that dont know any better. Rumor has it they sell ammo by the bullet as well. :rolleyes: So classy. I cant tell you for sure now because its been 20 years since Ive been in there. And when I was there last, I saw a note on every display case stating "We dont care if you can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Don't tell us. We dont care. Go buy it there instead. Thank you." He knew the straw purchasers who knew how to not raise suspicions would happily fork over $100 over market rates for a gun that they could sell on the black market for even more were happy to give them their business in exchange for the bare minimum of scrutiny. purple indicates sarcasm of course. I wouldnt purposefully slander an upstanding retailer.

And I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with prior federal suits (that Don himself weaseled out of) implicating his store alone accounting for just shy of 10% of the guns used in Chicago crime back in the day. Not sure if its still accurate, but at one point something like 8-9% of the guns recovered in Chicago crimes were originally sold at Don's . While that doesnt sound like a large number, when you consider he didnt have a Chicago, or even an Illinois store that is pretty damning. But apparently his history with the Unions allowed him to skate when charges on the surface appeared pretty bulletproof.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Easy. Hyper local clientele that dont know any better. Rumor has it they sell ammo by the bullet as well. :rolleyes: So classy. I cant tell you for sure now because its been 20 years since Ive been in there. And when I was there last, I saw a note on every display case stating "We dont care if you can buy it cheaper somewhere else. Don't tell us. We dont care. Go buy it there instead. Thank you." He knew the straw purchasers who knew how to not raise suspicions would happily fork over $100 over market rates for a gun that they could sell on the black market for even more were happy to give them their business in exchange for the bare minimum of scrutiny. purple indicates sarcasm of course. I wouldnt purposefully slander an upstanding retailer.

And I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with prior federal suits (that Don himself weaseled out of) implicating his store alone accounting for just shy of 10% of the guns used in Chicago crime back in the day. Not sure if its still accurate, but at one point something like 8-9% of the guns recovered in Chicago crimes were originally sold at Don's . While that doesnt sound like a large number, when you consider he didnt have a Chicago, or even an Illinois store that is pretty damning. But apparently his history with the Unions allowed him to skate when charges on the surface appeared pretty bulletproof.

I used to shoot in there a lot, especially when I was a younger man. There weren't nearly as many gun shops, and I, like others, "didn't know any better." In the mid-2000s, I noted several instances of "straw purchase-like" behavior. Of course, I have no proof of this, and I'm not saying it happened. It was only suspicious. I also observed several, uh, "ruffians" pretending to pull a robbery while shooting at the range. The staff kicked them out, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Don was always nice to me. However, he was no Second Amendment advocate. Aside from posting his views on gun control for the public to see (read: "If it's okay with the government, it's okay with me"), he also was vocal about his support for universal background checks. His only ideology was to increase his business, even if that meant derailing the Second Amendment. Don's Guns: no thanks.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Come on everybody! Support your local gun shops! I guarantee you that %80 of you go into these small local gun shops and look at the cool stuff. The gun shop shows you the pro’s and con’s and helps you decide which item to buy. Then you shop online and buy it elsewhere for $50 cheaper just to turn around and pay for the transfer.

We need to band together and help support local 2nd amendment companies! These big box stores get so big that they develop an agenda outside local and state laws after they have made millions off the back of blue collar America! Just my two cents worth.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Come on everybody! Support your local gun shops! I guarantee you that %80 of you go into these small local gun shops and look at the cool stuff. The gun shop shows you the pro’s and con’s and helps you decide which item to buy. Then you shop online and buy it elsewhere for $50 cheaper just to turn around and pay for the transfer.

We need to band together and help support local 2nd amendment companies! These big box stores get so big that they develop an agenda outside local and state laws after they have made millions off the back of blue collar America! Just my two cents worth.

I agree with what you’re saying in its essence. For ammo, Walmart was a nearly unbeatable brick & mortar deal. Our bottom lines still count. After all, we’re not communists. Now we’ll have to look elsewhere. Keep in mind that even when you buy from a “big” gun business, like Bud’s Gun Shop, you’re still supporting a small, pro-2A business. When compared to Walmart or Cabelas, Bud’s is minuscule.

I am also one who does not go looking at small gun shops, wasting the staff’s time over guns I plan to buy online. That is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN

Just because a shop is close to me doesnt mean it deserves my business. As a matter of fact, when they mark up items on the shelf they have had in stock for months just to gouge the community during a panic, they are off the list forever. Because they are local doesnt mean they are good honest hard working folk, many people elsewhere on internet deserve my business more.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg

Like the shop that told me I needed a laser on my AR in case I had to shoot from the hip and told my wife she needed a 380 or revolver? Sorry, but NOT SORRY, you tell me BS like that, your shop will be one of the LAST places I visit from there on out. Just because someone sells something, they're not experts on it.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I often find "Local" gun shop has "salesmen" working the counters. I prefer a gun enthusiast. I will visit a different shop every month during the slow hours of the day. I love a great FTF deal through the net like most do, but if I find a product in a local store that I want, I will budget for it. Everything I buy FTF is used. Sometimes I like new stuff. I am not the person that goes and trys on clothes so I get the right size on line.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I'm kinda late to the game but I have stopped shopping @ wallyworld for everything since they went politically correct on ammo.
    Fortunately I reload, have plenty of .22 rimfire . If I need something quick Rural King is Ok. and Cabelas is close but have avoided them too because they still sell yeti.
    Feels good to just have patience.

Top Bottom