• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    Business has been good so I’m going to have some money burning a hole in my pocket.
    I’m looking at investing in a 1991. Right now I’m looking at a Kimber as it appears to be my biggest bang for my bucks. ( haven’t picked a model yet )
    Two questions,
    #1 Am I wrong about Kimber?
    #2 My biggest question is what are the advantage and disadvantages of a aluminum frame, other than weight? Or is it purely weight?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Weight and durability. If it's going to be a shooter, an aluminum frame, IN THEORY, will wear out somewhat faster. You should run them wet, otherwise the steel slide will wear down the aluminum frame rails quicker than you'd probably like.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an Al frame. Some folks like them, but I prefer the balance and heft of real steel in a 1911. The aluminum frames models just feel "off" to me.

I like Kimbers. But I think Springfield is one of the better values, generally speaking. Depending on the specific model, of course. They're forged in Brazil and assembled here, the Kimbers are US forgings, if that makes a difference to you.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    The statements are correct on the material, gun reliability and customer support were my deciding factors from my research for a brand.
    Check out 1911 forums and research the brands that interest you. They have a specific section for each brand with the good and bad of them.

I'll add I have some aluminum ones and they are not worn yet ~1000 rnds

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Don't ignore physics. A lighter gun will recoil heavier than a heavy gun. If you are not already used to the 45acp recoil then a steel frame may be your best bet. On the other hand, if it is to be used as a carry weapon then the lighter alloy frame has some ease of carry advantages.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Carry, aluminum.

Shooting pleasure, steel.

If you are going to carry it, get aluminum.

If you are going to go out every weekend and practice, get both.

I have a Kimber CDP II Pro with the 4" barrel and my carry experience is that the barrel does not matter as much as the grip length. I like the full size grip, but it does get in the way sometimes.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The weight difference between a full size AL frame 1911 and steel frame is a whopping 7 ounces. (31oz. CDP v. 38oz. Custom II empty)
    In my days carrying a steel full size, I never once said to myself "Man, I wish this thing was 7 ounces lighter!" (current guns in the carry rotation are both 40+ ounces empty)

Just to put things in perspective. Yes, it's lighter, but 7 ounces ain't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things with a halfway decent belt and holster.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I carry a 1966 Colt Commander (aluminum frame). Colt estimated the service life of the aluminum frame guns at 10,000 rounds. Very few people will EVER put 10,000 rounds through a gun. I shoot my steel frame guns for IDPA, carry the aluminum. Once or twice a year I will shoot a match with the aluminum framed gun. As for weight, an unloaded Commander weighs 28 ounces...most full size steel models will go from 38-42 ounces...that's more than half a pound at least. If you don't have a very nice holster and support system, those steel guns will weigh you down.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Business has been good so I’m going to have some money burning a hole in my pocket.
    I’m looking at investing in a 1991. Right now I’m looking at a Kimber as it appears to be my biggest bang for my bucks. ( haven’t picked a model yet )
    Two questions,
    #1 Am I wrong about Kimber?
    #2 My biggest question is what are the advantage and disadvantages of a aluminum frame, other than weight? Or is it purely weight?

You gonna carry it? Or shoot Targets ? 5", 4", 3" etc?

Nothing wrong with Kimber, I have 2 and love both

5" Custom II
    SS Ultra Carry II

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you notice the weight diff, you're either using the wrong holster and belt, or you should be carrying a little plastic .25, Nancy.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Because, as we all know, only little girls carry aluminum. I guess if you're realistically going to put thousands of rounds through it it might matter, as alluded to above. Otherwise, not so much. Buy what feels good in the hand, babe. Be comfortable with it.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I have had a crack on a aluminum frame appear & always make sure that Im buying all steel 1911, Mine cracked along the rail & the company that I contacted about it basically said tough nookies (after market frame) put me off of them for life .Im sure there are better alloy mixes now but am paranoid about it happeneing again.Having said that Ive owned other pistols w/ aluminum frames .

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    for carry or range

if you want a carry gun then y preference is aluminum... I have a officers colt in aluminum and love it for carry! A good 1911 frame in aluminum will last longer than most will ever shoot... Dont let people on this board scare you out of an aluminum frame most people appreciate the weight reduction... Also dont be afraid of officers size either if concealability is important.....tim

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Steel is ALWAYS better for a firearm. Aluminum is for airplanes and beer cans. There is a reason tools are made from tool steel. Aluminum hammers? No. Aluminum screwdrivers? No. Aluminum sockets or wrenches? No. Aluminum knife blades? No. Aluminum gun barrels? No. It took the human race a lot of years to develop high quality tool steel alloys and yet now everyone believes that a gun is somehow "better" if we make it out of aluminum or plastic. It's a huge marketing scam. Don't fall for it.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Never said they were "better"...said they were lighter and easier to carry. As for plastic framed guns...they seem to last longer than steel frames. Not a Glock fanatic, but I have never seen a 1911 go something like 200,000 + rounds!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Ed brown makes both, and I think most would concede that he's fairly knowledgeable about 1911s. He (or someone who represents him) did a nice summary of steel vs lightweight frames in 1911s. Google-Fu. If you can't find it, I can when I'm on a real computer.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A lighter gun is only an advantage until you want to shoot it. An aluminum gun will not last as long as steel ones and remain in spec. And 1911s HAVE gone over 200,000 rounds. I have competition 1911s that used to do 1000 rounds a week. All summer. For years. I still shoot them. They still work.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I carry a Kimber with an aluminum frame and I have no complaints. Another thing that comes to mind as far as aluminum wearing faster is my first Beretta 92 had an aluminum frame and I ran more than 20,000 rounds through it and never had any issues if anything the pistol seemed to get more accurate after the first 5000 rounds. I understand that a .45 has more recoil etc. but I also think you would be hard pressed to wear an aluminum frame out.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well 20K rounds is about 4 times what the Govt. spec is for frame life on a Beretta. An aluminum frame is not going to wear from cycling friction but it's going to have a harder time with impact stress and stress riser cracks forming. Aluminum is a more brittle metal then heat treated stress relieved steel. Put a piece of aluminum on an anvil and start hammering on it. You'll soon see cracks showing up. A piece of steel will also but it will take MUCH longer to happen.

Top Bottom