• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Take a look at the Dan Wessons while you're shopping around. Check out the CCO (aluminum Officer Frame with Commander slide) and Valor Stainless (all steel Gov't)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've recently switched from carrying guns with aluminum frames to ones with steel frames. For me, a steel frame gun has better balance and reduces the time between shots. I'm also more accurate on follow up shots with a heavier gun than with a light one. I switched from carrying my Kimbers to carrying a CZ 75 Compact and am amazed at how quickly I can accurately fire the CZ when compared to my aluminum framed compact 1911s. I do still carry the 1911s once in a while though, as they are really tough to get out of your system.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    88E30M50, you just explained why a steel gun is easier to shoot than a light alloy one. Thank you. I hope people will read this and understand. Lightweight is good for carrying all day. When the time comes to shoot it, it's not such a great concept. I will gladly lug the extra weight around so that when I must USE the gun I don't have to wait for it to come back down out of recoil. Too heavy will slow you down moving from target to target. Too light will slow you down on rapid shots. It's a question of balance. Too many people think that the carry weight is the most important factor. It is only if you don't plan on shooting it a lot.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The thought than an aluminum framed 1911 is going to wear out in the lifetime of an average gun owner is beyond hilarious. Most people arent going to put nearly enough rounds through a gun to wear it out.

I dont own an aluminum 1911, I do own a scandium framed S&W 1911 and it certainly has more recoil than my PT1911 does. The S&W weights in at about 30 ounces and the PT1911 is about 40. You feel the difference, but man up sally its not that big of a deal. Its still 30 ounces, people seem to do just fine with follow up shots on lighter Glocks, XDs, etc.

If you are afraid of the recoil, by all means go steel.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    LIke others said, figure out what you want to do with it. Ie shoot it a lot or carry it a lot and go from there. Steel is supposed to last longer but there are plenty of aluminum frame 1911's out there with tens of thousands of rounds through them. Also you may want to check the warranty policy of whatever gun you are looking to buy.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Steel WILL last longer. That is not an internet theory. How many aluminum knife blades have you seen for sale? Or aluminum impact sockets? Or AL crankshafts or camshafts? Would you buy one and expect it to last forever? Just because you have never personally seen an aluminum 1911 frame "wear out" and then deduce that it cannot happen is "beyond hilarious". I have seen AL 1911 frames worn beyond use. Tens of thousands of rounds is just a drop in the bucket. When the feed ramp on an AL frame has a groove worn into from bullet noses hitting it or mag followers gouging it the fix is to machine it out and replace it with a STEEL ramp. The only thing protecting the AL feed ramp is a clear anodize coating that's a couple of thous. thick. Recoil is not the problem. Repeated impact stress and cracking is the problem. Also claiming that no one is going to fire enough rounds to wear out a gun is "beyond hilarious". I have shot several 1911s for enough years in IPSC competition to see even steel frames crack. Why anyone would choose an AL frame over one made from forged carbon tool steel is a mystery to me. Just because a manufacturer can build a gun from AL or polymer doesn't mean there is a good reason to do so. Other than marketing to the masses.

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've had two kimbers.. both taken care of.. both had rust on the barrells no matter what I did. I have been told that it's a common problem with them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The thought than an aluminum framed 1911 is going to wear out in the lifetime of an average gun owner is beyond hilarious. Most people arent going to put nearly enough rounds through a gun to wear it out.

I dont own an aluminum 1911, I do own a scandium framed S&W 1911 and it certainly has more recoil than my PT1911 does. The S&W weights in at about 30 ounces and the PT1911 is about 40. You feel the difference, but man up sally its not that big of a deal. Its still 30 ounces, people seem to do just fine with follow up shots on lighter Glocks, XDs, etc.

It's not a matter of fear of recoil. It's simply a matter of seeing that I can shoot a heavier gun faster with smaller resulting groups than I can with a lighter gun. Shot placement is one of the most important aspects of shooting and I'll consider anything that I can do to improve my performance in that area.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's not a matter of fear of recoil. It's simply a matter of seeing that I can shoot a heavier gun faster with smaller resulting groups than I can with a lighter gun. Shot placement is one of the most important aspects of shooting and I'll consider anything that I can do to improve my performance in that area.

Correct. I struggle to keep my support hand firmly positioned for recoil/front sight settling with my Ultra Carry II. It's a great shooter, but this is a problem. I once shot a scandium framed Commander size that was similar.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010

I have 2 scandium smiths as well. I actually just got a 3 inch pro series today but havent shot it yet so thats number 3 for me. No problem for fast follow up shots with my other two scandiums either and no problems with the recoil. I even have a 3 inch aluminum Kimber and I can put all the shots in the 10 ring without an issue and it only clocks 25 ounces unloaded.

However these are .45's I wouldnt want to get a .40 1911 aluminum frame without shooting it a lot due to the snappier recoil. To the OP you should be fine with either one. An aluminum or scandium frame .45 on your side is better than a steel frame .45 you left in the car IMHO.

There are many lightweight .45's out there so pick one that has a good warranty and practice with it as much as you need to.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Just shot my new Pro series Smith and wesson 3 inch yesterday. 200 rounds as quick as I could load the 8 mags...no problems with the recoil and shot like a dream. OP I think you should be fine with any 1911 as long as you practice

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    Commander experiance

I got scared off in 1980 from buying an aluminum frame commander and went with steel Colt Satin finish, great pistol. But recent got a CCO (Colt aluminum Officer Frame with Commander slide) and it has the WOW factor, sure it kicks a little more but (sample of one) it out shoots my steel Commander and seems much lighter. Why argue its a 45 and will do the job with ease of carry. Glad I got it, probably you would like it too.

lonnie58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    I have heard from many people and gunsmiths that the aluminum is prone to cracking and do wear faster. I've not seen this since I don't have any personal experience with this since I've only owned steel framed. It would seem that you would look at how much are you going to really shoot it though. If you are like a lot of gunners I know they have more then enough guns to shoot and some don't get shot as much. Whereas if this is going to be one of a few or your only one then you'll be shooting it a lot and you want the durabiity. To me the steel isn't all the heavy anyways.

Top Bottom