33959e8a_vbattach309906.jpg

:D

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    My favorite part of INGO is watching everyone argue with themselves like they are trying to fool us into thinking that they are not really the same 50 people posting from different accounts... YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYONE!!:flasher:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Crazy to say and admit, but I'm a Moderator and Super Moderator on two other high-traffic forums and daily visit 6 or 7 total...

And INGO has definitely become my Go-to forum when I just want to kill time or get engaged in a good read or two.

Rock on, :rockwoot:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I used to be a part of a large supra forum, but got banned...oh well, that place just made me want to spend gobs of money... So now I make this my home place....and spend gobs of money on guns instead.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My favorite part of INGO is watching everyone argue with themselves like they are trying to fool us into thinking that they are not really the same 50 people posting from different accounts... YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYONE!!:flasher:

Hey now, be kind. It's hard keeping up with all my alter egos.

No it's not

Yes it is

No it's not

Yes it is

Is not

Is too

:laugh:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks Boost!

Crazy to say and admit, but I'm a Moderator and Super Moderator on two other high-traffic forums and daily visit 6 or 7 total...

And INGO has definitely become my Go-to forum when I just want to kill time or get engaged in a good read or two.

Rock on, :rockwoot:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Also of note is how many of those that swear off INGO still post here. Its like they can't NOT post.

That is where I think both sides get it wrong. It is ok to dislike something about this site yet still come here. It is ok to like another site better yet still come over here on occaision. Why should it be so black and white that we either have to swear off this site forever or make it our homepage with nothing in between?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why should it be so black and white that we either have to swear off this site forever or make it our homepage with nothing in between?

I wasn't referring to folks who simply prefer other websites-- that's just fine.

I was speaking of those who will go to great lengths to speak out about how "terrible" INGO is, but then turn around and spend the majority of their online time here. These are the folks that swear off INGO but keep coming back.

Obviously there are varying levels of participation from every member.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I wasn't referring to folks who simply prefer other websites-- that's just fine.

I was speaking of those who will go to great lengths to speak out about how "terrible" INGO is, but then turn around and spend the majority of their online time here. These are the folks that swear off INGO but keep coming back.

Obviously there are varying levels of participation from every member.

One of the things I enjoy online is being able to argue and voice my opinion. This site reached a point where that got to be very difficult to do without breaking one of the many rules. If I have a pet peeve it is people who apply rules just for the sake of applying them and getting to punish someone. I have never been banned or infracted here but sometime around the Fall of 2010 I noticed that I was spending more time checking the FAQ to make sure I wasn't breaking a rule than I was saying what was on my mind. I think that the culmination of the process came when I was told that I wasn't supposed to do what the FAQ said but rather the "spirit" of the FAQ. That made it inevitable that I would be banned (since I can only read the FAQ, not its spirit) if I kept posting here frequently so I sought a place with fewer restrictions.

I am not saying that this site is a terrible place, just that I don't fit in here and that I would prefer to be able to come here occaisionally rather than be banned forever.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am not saying that this site is a terrible place, just that I don't fit in here and that I would prefer to be able to come here occaisionally rather than be banned forever.

If you found it difficult to post and still stay within the rules then I certainly understand your hesitancy. I can respect your decision to keep it low key. I wish more people could self-diagnose like that and adjust their participation accordingly.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If you found it difficult to post and still stay within the rules then I certainly understand your hesitancy. I can respect your decision to keep it low key. I wish more people could self-diagnose like that and adjust their participation accordingly.

Illustrative of my point: Earlier there was a thread that was quickly deleted wherein a member was complaining that he was being banned as a result of someone else's post. As I understand the problem he posted something in the classifieds and another member started posting in his classified thread every hour or so, thus "bumping" it. Allegedly the person who started the thread got banned from the classifieds as a result of the other member's posts. When the guy who got banned asked for an explaination he did not receive a reply.

Should I be concerned about posting in the classifieds? Can another person who doesn't like me bump my classified thread and get me banned? Can I bump another member's ad and get them banned? Why no response when the guy just asked for an explaination of what the rules are?

I don't really need a response as I don't normally advertise in the classifieds but this is meant to be exemplary of why I don't come here often.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Illustrative of my point: Earlier there was a thread that was quickly deleted wherein a member was compaining that he was being banned as a result of someone else's post.

He wasn't being banned. His access to the classifieds was temporarily restricted for violating INGO's terms-of-service. Specifically, trolling.

As I understand the problem he posted something in the classifieds and another member started posting in his classified thread every hour or so, thus "bumping" it. Allegedly the person who started the thread got banned from the classifieds as a result of the other member's posts. When the guy who got banned asked for an explaination he did not receive a reply.
    He bumped his ad early. When a staff member politely PM'ed him about it (NOT infracted him, I might add), he ran over to INS to start a thread complaining about it. As part of that thread, an effort was mounted to troll INGO. During that process, he again bumped his ad in violation of the Classified rules. The participants involved had their access revoked as noted above. When he asked why, he was told. He didn't like the answer. When he sent another message again demanding more information, he rage-quit when we didn't respond fast enough for him. He cannot claim innocence and that he was "banned for someone else's actions" because that is patently false. At no time were his PM's either ignored or lacking a response (except for the last, as noted).

Should I be concerned about posting in the classifieds? Can another person who doesn't like me bump my classified thread and get me banned? Can I bump another member's ad and get them banned?
    Of course not.

Why no response when the guy just asked for an explaination of what the rules are?
    You were misinformed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm glad you brought this up, because its often we see opinions formed based on incorrect information. I'd hate for your impression of how the situation was handled to be swayed by assumptions and rumor.

Illustrative of my point: Earlier there was a thread that was quickly deleted wherein a member was compaining that he was being banned as a result of someone else's post.

That member wasn't banned until after that post, wherein he disrespectfully blasted the Staff.

As I understand the problem he posted something in the classifieds and another member started posting in his classified thread every hour or so, thus "bumping" it.

You understood it incorrectly.

The OP of that ad was a participant in a trolling scheme-- the goal being for several members who had no personal interest in the item bumping the thread in an attempt to "**** off the Mods". He, along with the other participants, therefore had their classifieds access revoked. Our "No trolling" rule is pretty clear (especially in regards to the Classifieds).

Allegedly the person who started the thread got banned from the classifieds as a result of the other member's posts. When the guy who got banned asked for an explaination he did not receive a reply.

He did indeed receive an explanation.

He first received a PM (not an infraction) from a Mod about his early bump. This was before we were aware of the trolling scheme.

After we became aware of the scheme, he was sent another PM explaining why his classifieds access had been revoked.

He did not receive a reply to his argumentative "WTF?" PM.

Should I be concerned about posting in the classifieds? Can another person who doesn't like me bump my classified thread and get me banned? Can I bump another member's ad and get them banned? Why no response when the guy just asked for an explaination of what the rules are?

As you can see from the above case, your concerns are unfounded. Somewhere you've been given a slanted story that paints the "innocence" of a disgruntled member. My hope is that you can now make a more informed decision on whether or not to participate in the classifieds.

Top Bottom