Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So many young people today are unaware of the reality's that surround them. Social media/gaming/immersed in a digital world. I see it in my kids friends.
    I see it as well a number of places but never to the extent that this lady displayed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Everyone I know that carries a gun say they hope they never have to use it, and none of them ever have."

Everyone I know that checks their spare tire for proper tire pressure, hopes they never have to use it. And I can't think of any of them telling me they ever had to use it. It's not because prudent people never need spare tires. It's that it's rarer to encounter people that actually prepare for trouble, by making sure the spare tire is in working order.

The people who think about the possible bad things that happen to ordinary people every day, take two steps. 1) they try to avoid the trouble. 2) they do what they reasonably can to be prepared in case it happens to them. It's about having options. It's like the fire extinguisher, or spare tire, or even checking the oil periodically. It's all simple enough to do, and it can save you trouble, and even your life, if you prepare for the things you think probably won't happen to you. When bad things happen, reasonable preparation gives you options.

When people ask, "You carry a gun? What are you afraid of!?" I ask, what? You have a spare tire? What are you afraid of? It's not fear. It's taking steps to give yourself options in case things go bad. I've never assumed I'd need to use my firearm if I went somewhere. If I thought that, I wouldn't go to that place. I never assume I'll need my spare tire if I go to a certain place, or I wouldn't go there.

You don't predict that bad things would happen. Flat tire? ****! The spare is flat too, or no spare at all! Double ****! Life is now harder than it had to be because your options are limited. Holy **** the truck is on fire. No extinguisher? Your truck is toast because your options are limited. ****! Someone's robbing me at gunpoint. No gun? You may not get out of that one because your options are limited.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have struggled with this idea since my retirement the conclusion I have arrived at is that most people have no reference for “danger”.
    Normal people go though life with mostly like minded people and have never encountered a predator or wolf. People generally truly believe that if you are kind to somebody they will respond in kind.

A person with the “kind” mindset has never had a fistfight or had somebody speak rudely to them. If somebody treats them rudely they tend to get all bent out of shape and mention “respect”.
    Not understanding that some people don’t care about their feelings or what happens to them.

Typically the life experiences have not fostered a relationship with the dark side of life.
    They would say “We had a great time when we visited the Zoo”.
    I would say “ Remember the time that biker dude pulled a knife on me in a dive bar”.

Most people encounter beggers or transients a nice person reacts in a kind manner often letting them close the reactionary gap while speaking with them. Not understanding the danger that is possible with a street person that are often mentally ill.
    A nice person just has not been exposed to danger from other humans and has not learned the skills to deal with it.

In a panic situation a nice person often gets overwhelmed and does nothing or are ineffective in the response like running in circles.
    The “bubble” they live in does not let them comprehend that somebody might kill them for no reason at all.

BTW
    This is how the “sheepdog” concept doesn’t work IMO.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OMG
    I was actually coming in here to ask if she was Hot or a RedHead. :laugh:

She may not be in danger but you definitely are........ RUN!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was struck by her complete lack of knowledge and how the world and nature function.

Well, she did take a class, so that's a good first step. Did she happen to mention how she came about finding out about your class and registering for it, etc? Just curious.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Well, she did take a class, so that's a good first step. Did she happen to mention how she came about finding out about your class and registering for it, etc? Just curious.

The ranges's facebook page. She was looking to get into plinking because it is fun. She had been shooing with someone a couple of times and liked it. Wanted to get better at it. Normally Home Defense and EDC are the goals of folks in the class.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    The ranges's facebook page. She was looking to get into plinking because it is fun. She had been shooing with someone a couple of times and liked it. Wanted to get better at it. Normally Home Defense and EDC are the goals of folks in the class.

Sounds like the Unthinkable and either the USCCA or NRA Home Defense courses could be next, or does she need more time to understand the safety rules and basic functions?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have struggled with this idea since my retirement the conclusion I have arrived at is that most people have no reference for “danger”.
    Normal people go though life with mostly like minded people and have never encountered a predator or wolf. People generally truly believe that if you are kind to somebody they will respond in kind.

A person with the “kind” mindset has never had a fistfight or had somebody speak rudely to them. If somebody treats them rudely they tend to get all bent out of shape and mention “respect”.
    Not understanding that some people don’t care about their feelings or what happens to them.

Typically the life experiences have not fostered a relationship with the dark side of life.
    They would say “We had a great time when we visited the Zoo”.
    I would say “ Remember the time that biker dude pulled a knife on me in a dive bar”.

Most people encounter beggers or transients a nice person reacts in a kind manner often letting them close the reactionary gap while speaking with them. Not understanding the danger that is possible with a street person that are often mentally ill.
    A nice person just has not been exposed to danger from other humans and has not learned the skills to deal with it.

In a panic situation a nice person often gets overwhelmed and does nothing or are ineffective in the response like running in circles.
    The “bubble” they live in does not let them comprehend that somebody might kill them for no reason at all.

BTW
    This is how the “sheepdog” concept doesn’t work IMO.

All good observations. William Aprils Unthinkable class posted elsewhere here dives deep into this subject matter.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sounds like the Unthinkable and either the USCCA or NRA Home Defense courses could be next, or does she need more time to understand the safety rules and basic functions?
    She was not looking for Defensive training.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I was struck by her complete lack of knowledge and how the world and nature function.

Chicks are never in danger. TV and movies have taught me all females are badarses. None of them need training in strength or the martial arts or a weapon.

All they need to do is believe in themselves and they can knock out any dude with one punch.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Chicks are never in danger. TV and movies have taught me all females are badarses. None of them need training in strength or the martial arts or a weapon.

All they need to do is believe in themselves and they can knock out any dude with one punch.

Hard to juxtapose that narrative with the one that claims America has a rape culture.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

There is a false sense of security out there with the line of thinking that you bring up. It bothers me greatly.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    OK, just to clarify, I was mocking the stupidity of a great many humans that UNDERestimate how badly women are over-matched in physical combat and OVERestimate how "awesome" women are.

I'm a realist. I shocked an ex-GF by wrestling her to the bed and telling her to TRY and resist. And I'm not a big or strong guy. I was surprised that she was shocked.

But some dimwit women actually BELIEVE they are somehow super-ninjas cuz they took ONE evening class of self-defense at the Y. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Perhaps some of this is just young age and naivete plus that sense of immortality that starts to go away around age 30?

I did an inexpensive backpacking trip around Europe at college graduation time. It took really bizarre stuff to get me worried. I hopped off the train in each town and started looking for an inexpensive place to stay. I also did not understand why my parents were so worried and I was annoyed that they wanted me to call them frequently. This was of course before handheld phones existed. Overseas calls were a hassle and expense from a payphone.

I might make the same trip today, but I would have a lot more regard for each direction I went, a lot more awareness of my surroundings, and a plan of what to do if attacked. I was really pretty helpless and lucky. It's not that I went anywhere terribly dangerous, but it was very obvious that I was a tourist who didn't know where I was going nor have anyone to help me.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    She was in shock. I don't know how much she bought in but her eyes were opened to the world in ways that they had not been before.

Top Bottom