Amazon Prime: Wise Decision, or the Beginning of the End?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We signed up earlier this year when they were offering discounts. I think I paid $73 or something like that. They were adjusting the fee according to the date.

I have been using the music portion which is sort of like Sirius/XM in my home.

I have also placed a few orders but haven't got into the regular household items yet. That will come.

I watched an episode of The Man in the High Castle but it didn't impress me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I HATE Amazon.

Alas I cannot exist without them.

Maybe this belongs in the first-world problem threads.

I dropped my membership. But then they started making everything Prime-only. ****. That mostly just pissed me off. Then I saw where I could get Plants vs Zombies really cheap if I had Prime. So I reupped. ****ing bastards. Got me by the balls.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We've been Prime members for a few years. I listen to Prime Music almost daily (alternate with iTunes Radio). My wife watches a few Prime shows (not sure which ones), and we watch a movie or some kid's shows now and then. We also get a delivery from Amazon once or twice a week. Hard to beat the price on some things, along with free delivery.

I think I posted on here before: my wireless headset died one morning. I ordered a new one from Amazon and had it here 3 hours later that same day.

I have been disappointed with the direction ebook prices have been going. When we started with Amazon, I was grabbing good books from well-known authors for $5 or less. Now, ebooks are the same price as paperbacks ($14 and up) for those same authors. I just don't see the value.

A couple of our tricks:
    - We keep wish lists of items for myself, my wife, and our kiddo. If we are a few bucks short of a promotion, we grab something off one of the lists.
    - If you leave something in your cart, it APPEARS that the price will drop a few days later. Happens to us ALL THE TIME. They must monitor that, and apply a discount to encourage the purchase. For anything more than a few bucks, we play the waiting game.
    - For prime members, they almost ALWAYS offer $1 or more towards an eBook purchase if you choose "slow boat" shipping rather than the standard 3-day. The slower shipping has ALWAYS taken the same 3 days for us, and I have gotten some pretty good discounts on books that way.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Go for it. We're actually about net even vs. buying household stuff at Walmart when you factor in the Prime membership fee.....But damn is it nice not having to deal with Walmart. I just get stuff right at my front door.

We signed up earlier this year when they were offering discounts. I think I paid $73 or something like that. They were adjusting the fee according to the date.

I have been using the music portion which is sort of like Sirius/XM in my home.

I have also placed a few orders but haven't got into the regular household items yet. That will come.

I watched an episode of The Man in the High Castle but it didn't impress me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    - For prime members, they almost ALWAYS offer $1 or more towards an eBook purchase if you choose "slow boat" shipping rather than the standard 3-day. The slower shipping has ALWAYS taken the same 3 days for us, and I have gotten some pretty good discounts on books that way.

You are damned lucky. The last handful of slow boat orders I placed got lost, took 3 weeks, or both.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Last time I used the slow shipping, I got my item overnight. I was actually shocked by that, as it usually is a full week for me.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    - If you leave something in your cart, it APPEARS that the price will drop a few days later. Happens to us ALL THE TIME. They must monitor that, and apply a discount to encourage the purchase. For anything more than a few bucks, we play the waiting game.

This isn't Amazon incentivizing you to buy items. Amazon uses pricing algorithms that adjust the price of items every day (possibly more frequently than that) based on factors like supply, demand, market trends, etc.

It's nice that they show you the decrease in price when it occurs, but you'll notice they don't indicate the price increase, which occurs just as often.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I use the Prime thing for business.
    It is just way quicker than getting stuff hither and yonder. I keep a clipboard outside my office. Staff writes what they need and when there are 3-4 things on the list I get it done in 10 min. Here in 2 days. No more running to Lowes, Staples, WallyWorld.
    And I set up an Amazon Chase credit card... they drop little nuggets of credits in the account every time I make a purchase. That really adds up. Then, low and behold at Christmas staff gets goodies... nice!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

It's nice that they show you the decrease in price when it occurs, but you'll notice they don't indicate the price increase, which occurs just as often.

Mmmm, they show decreases AND increases in price for everything that is in my saved-for-later list or in my cart.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Good point. Isnt there a way to gift items to folks at their default shipping address? Somebody post his email address so we can all start bombarding him with first aid supplies. :laugh:(not sure if that should be purple)

You can put a wedding registry on Amazon, maybe Rhino can put a "blooding" registry on as well? Then he can specify the brand of quick-clot and the type of tourniquet he prefers...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've noticed both increases and decreases in my Wish List, but only decreases in my cart. I'll have to pay more attention. Granted, it is my wife that uses the Cart as temporary storage. I tend to "buy" while my wife tends to "shop", just as if she was in a brick-n-mortar store.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    It's just the beginning. I signed up several years ago for prime's 30 day trial because I needed something fast and they had the best price. Now we are 4 years later and I won't go without it. Before Prime, I found myself buying stuff I didn't need to get to that magical amount for free shipping.

Keep in mind that you get $3.99 next day shipping, free TV and movie streaming, discounted HBO and Showtime subscriptions and a lot of free Kindle books with your Prime membership. I have bought a lot of first aid and outdoor products on there including firearm related items.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have to admit that one of the reasons I re-upped was Justified Season 6 finally went on Amazon Prime. I binged it last week.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Amazon Prime is a blessing, and a curse, lol.

I use it for the free/quick shipping, Music and Movies/TV shows. Well worth the money, IMHO.

AND if you are in the right area of town, Prime Now has some items, food, etc that ships to you in a couple HOURS or less. Very dangerous lol

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    Another useful tip, if they don't actually hit your 2 day guarantee and you complain (which is a little complicated on purpose I'm sure) they will usually add a free month onto your prime account. Occasionally they just ship you the same thing you ordered again as recompense. I've gotten extra camera cards, trail cam lock, bullet holders etc.

Top Bottom