• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Saw the movie Saturday. 11:40 showing in Greenwood. Read the book a month or so ago. Theatre was nearly full and had to sit down in front. 2nd row. Nearly froze. Higher is much warmer. Good flick. Book was much more informative. Movie, much more emotionally moving.

God Bless Texas.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Saw a late showing at the UA galaxy on 96th (faux leather full reclining seats???? Win!) Solid picture, and despite what talking heads say, I never saw it as pro-war. IMO, not a serious contender for best picture but Cooper makes a strong case for best actor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Saw a late showing at the UA galaxy on 96th (faux leather full reclining seats???? Win!) Solid picture, and despite what talking heads say, I never saw it as pro-war. IMO, not a serious contender for best picture but Cooper makes a strong case for best actor.

Some people view it as pro, because it doesn't make an anti-war statement

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I loved the actual footage at the end and then the no music on the credits. Everyone was quiet as they left the theater. and with no music, it was a very solemn moment. My 12-year-old had tears in his eyes and just stared at the credits.

And I had a veteran stand up about 4 rows in front of me and salute Chris Kyle as the footage at the end was playing. His silhouette saluting was on the screen. It was badass and I probably will never forget that. I wanted to talk to him but felt best to let him be to himself.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I'd have sympathy for that if he didn't act like such a free ranging a-hole. It goes FAR beyond this issue. The movie just brought it to mind again.

And who is he to get on someone about fiction? Wasn't he a "professional wrestler?" So much for truth.

...And of course it is just my humble opinion. I'm sure he'll lose sleep over it.

Yeah he was a pro wrestler. He was also a seal, mayor, and governor.

I am curious tho, how is he a "free ranging a-hole"?

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    The silence as a hundred or more stunned people left the theater was deafening .

On another note , did any one else notice the improved equipment that was there as each tour of duty progressed ? This film was awesome .

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I like watching the box office totals come in. $200m domestic so far. Lowest week two drop ever for a film that opened over $85m

i'm interested in seeing how the foreign market views this.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Some people view it as pro, because it doesn't make an anti-war statement
    Any realistic war film makes an anti-war statement. How can you watch this movie and think "hey, war is so great!"?? I can understand that war is sometimes unavoidable and/or necessary and still be anti-war. War sucks. It kills good people, ruins families, and destroys civilization.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

See, this COULD point out the distinction between those who fight the war, and those who start/run the war. They could have used the movie to highlight no matter why a conflict starts, we have top-notch people wearing the uniform and trying to win. But... That is not where they chose to go. Better to trash the whole thing.

when I don't like a play, I don't trash the actors. It's their job. It's the script that sucks.

American Sniper has been criticized for eliding sniper Chris Kyle’s anti-Iraqi sentiments and ignoring the mendacity that got America in Iraq in the first place, turning the Iraq war, in the words of Rolling Stone’s Matt Taibbi, “into a saccharine, almost PG-rated two-hour cinematic diversion about a killing machine with a heart of gold.”

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Though I liked the movie, I didn't think it was great. I think people who haven't heard of Chris Kyle may have a hard time keeping up as it spans his entire life in 2 hours. You could probably make a 10 hour movie based on his 30's alone. I also didn't find it to be pro war. I found it to be anti war, and pro warrior. I think the focus was on what war turns you into.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I liked American Sniper......it's a very good film. But, my wife and I both think that Unbroken is much better, and deserves to be doing much better business then it has.

Anyone else notice the large bottle of Breakfree CLP on the shelf in the barracks in American Sniper?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Those thinking about using Showbox or similar apps. The Motion Picture Association of America is preparing to go after anyone using said app. Most of the servers they use are in Russia. And we all know how stand up the Russians are. If the movie is Water Marked, it was either from a screener copy or stolen from a film company outright.

Use at your own peril.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I liked American Sniper......it's a very good film. But, my wife and I both think that Unbroken is much better, and deserves to be doing much better business then it has.

Anyone else notice the large bottle of Breakfree CLP on the shelf in the barracks in American Sniper?

Yes to seeing the Breakfree CLP in that scene.
    We went through gallons of the stuff while I was on active duty as a Gunner's Mate (Guns) in the Navy.
    The main piece of equipment I worked on was our 5"/54 caliber gun, so we had it in gallon jugs.
    The smell of it alone is pure nostalgia.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you liked American Sniper, check out Taking Chance. Taking Chance is probably my favorite movie. Be sure to have tissues on hand.

Top Bottom