Ancestry, Family reunions, Genealogy, and Roots..Let's share.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did mine...Heard we had native in us my whole life...I did my DNA...100 percent British Isles...Not a bit of Native blood.......
    I had my DNA tested and it didn't show any Indian blood either. But, we have papers on one of my ancestors (GGGGgrandpa that was a card carrying member of the Cherokee nation). So... take that for what it is worth.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is my GGGG grandpa. That is as far back in my last name's line that we have gotten:
    [FONT=&amp]Died 'of the fever' on way home from Norfolk, VA. Served 6 months in 4th Regiment, 18th Infantry, of VA Militia 2/13/1813 to 9/12/1813 and discharged 9/12/1814. In War of 1812. Cole, John 1813 18th Inf. Capt. Thomas J. Robeson's Co.
    He was a member of a group from Russell County Virginia.

His grandson, my GG grandpa then served in the 14th Kentucky Volunteer Regiment (Union).

My Dad-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Oscar entered the Army in 1942 at South Bend, Indiana. He served in the 175th Armored Battalion in the Pacific Theater. He received the Pacific Theatre Campaign Service Ribbon, the Purple Heart and the combat Infantry Badge. He held the rank of Technician Grade 4 at the time of his discharge in 1945 at Camp Atterbury, Indiana. He got busted back in rank (2 notches I think he told me) right before discharge when apparently he had a disagreement with a new officer that came in after the war was over.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep, somebody's family having been here since before the Vikings and Spaniards doesn't mean their DNA is east Asian.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My wife has been working on my family tree for awhile.
    She's got us back before the Rev. War. We both did the DNA thing a few years ago, my family came from England, Ireland and Scotland. With a little bit of SW native American blood thrown in.
    Lots of family still in the New Jersey area.
    I know GG grandpa Kelly was in the calvary out west after the war.
    The worked they're way from Jersey to Ohio and finally northern Indiana.
    In Ohio most of them were lawyers and judges. The RR stole some land from us we have a big article from the Cincinnati paper.
    Lots of family in the Lafayette and Battle Ground area

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    My Great Grandfather emegrated to the US in 1899 from Switzerland. I haven't been able to find his parents via Ancestry.com yet. His wife's grandparents came from Ireland a few years prior to the Civil War.

On my mother's side, her Great Grandfather emigrated to the US in the late 1800s from Belgium. My mother's mother's grandparents all emigrated from Germany in the late 1800s.

So it seems most of my family got here rather recently, nothing older than 170 years ago.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am in a well documented family, several books on it. We have been here since 1738.

On my mom's side my G x18 grandfather was King Edward I of England, the guy who killed William Wallace.

My G G grandfather's brother was married to Julia Lincoln, Abraham's first cousin. Her son was killed fighting for the Union in Tennessee. The cemetery there has him listed as her husband but they have that wrong.

I have a general in the Union army, several surgeons and numerous grunts from the Civil war. Nothing on the confederate side tho.

One of my other G G grandfathers was badly wounded and hospitalized in Tenn and later shipped home. He died a few years later. I am in possession of all the papers where my G G grandmother had to apply to the government for benefits. All the records were kept by churches back then. It makes an interesting read on how it gets done.

One ancestor was a teen back during the Revolution. He signed up to fight and did, later he deserted, re-enlisted and deserted a second time. You can't make this stuff up.

Mohawk blood from Crawford county in my family. We are a scalp take'n tribe...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    On my mom's side we came from England to the Middle Plantation at Jamestown.

One of mom's ancestors, a John Chew was there at Jamestown, his grandchildren moved up to New Jersey and after the revolution came down the river on a flatboat...One of mom's ancestors was Susie McClintock and she was born in Clark County, Indiana in 1792 or so...Her grave is up in the Knobs near Buttontown Road, her father in law, John Williams is buried in Breedlove Cemetery in Harrison County...Her hisband William Williams was a Ranger during the War of 1812 along the old Buffalo Trace, now Hwy 150....We've got good records because he got rolled at a tavern in New Albany in 1810 or so and had to reapply for his pension...

[h=2]John Chew (Chewe), IV[/h]
    Also Known As:"The Immigrant", "Johannes"
    Birthdate:July 16, 1587
    Birthplace:Chewton, Chewton Mendip, Somerset, England
    Death:August 24, 1668 (81)
    York County, Virginia, United States
    Place of Burial:York, VA, United States
    Immediate Family:Son of John Chew, III and Anne Chewe
    Husband of Anne Chewe; Sarah Chew and Rachel Constable
    Father of John Chew; John Chew; Nathaniel Chew; Sarah Chew; Joseph Chew and 2 others
    Brother of Samuel Chew; Dyna Berkman; Susan Leland / Elridge; Hester Duncombe; Sara Chew and 1 other

Occupation:Came to Virginia in 1662 in the ship "Charitie" to become a planter and was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, Merchant / Colonist, Merchant, Colonist

15666506_118079467588.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ancestry can be cool.
    Unfortunately some folks find stuff they wish they didnt.
    Kids out of wedlock....adoptions.....and they let that stuff from the past ruin their future.
    Got a buddy that was adopted. Great attitude. He considers his adopted parents his real parents and leaves it at that.
    Have seen people so wound up over " where did i come from" that it totally screws up where they are going.
    Why i dont give a flip about it. Heard some from relatives and just left it alone.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My wife's family is of German descent. She did a bit snooping around and found that there was a general on both sides during the D-Day invasion bearing the family name. She's made the connection to the American but not to the German.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have read all of these posts. It truly amazes me that these kinds of records exist; ones that allow some people to trace their ancestry to the days of the Mayflower.

My grandpas came to the United States shortly after WW2 from Yugoslavia. As with most Serbs of their generation who fought the Fascists and Communists, following the war, they traveled to Western Europe, Canada, the United States, and Australia. In these new countries, little communities were established; East Chicago and Gary, at one time had, had decent-sized communities.

Meticulous record keeping was not important to my ancestors. None of my grandparents knew their actual birth date, just a general time frame. When they came to the United States, they were all given birth dates. The government gave my grandpa one and US steel gave him another.

Due to poor record keeping, the farthest I can trace my ancestry is to my great great grandparents. The overall history of my people is well documented: I really do enjoy learning about our past, it gives so much prospective as to why events are occurring today. It would be nice if my fellow youth enjoyed it as much as I do.

The continuity of history will never cease to amaze me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My grandfather fought in the Spanish American War (yes, grandfather, not great grandfather; I am 54) as a member of a Philippine Scouts in the US Army.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cool story... Mom was listening to Greg Garrison's show many moons ago and he was talking about his maternal great grandma, who had a VERY unique name. Coincidentally, Mom recalled her maternal great grandma with the same name. She wrote him and he confirmed that indeed they were both talking about the same lady.

He was also gracious enough to have his staff make a couple copies of the genealogy book he had assembled from his research and send it to mom. (this was pre-internet ancestry days)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My family genealogy is quite tame and predictable. Paternally, I'm like 9th Generation Irish American. Maternally I'm about the same generation - but German. Ancestry.com DNA testing has me at "74% England, Wales, & Northwestern Europe." and "24% Ireland & Scotland". Boils down to, essentially, I'm 100% Celtic / Viking.

VERY interesting that there isn't any intrusion from anything from any of the more SE European / Mediterranean / Roman Empire. There was a crap ton of warring / ethnic cleansing / rape / whole people groups pushed out of Central Europe into British Isles that went on 2k years ago by the Romans against the Celtic people. (Gee, thanks, Julius).

Top Bottom