Ancestry, Family reunions, Genealogy, and Roots..Let's share.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most of my family are German Immigrants that came over after the Great War. They settled in Wisconsin/Minnesota (Winona) on my Mom's side and in Indianapolis on my Dad's side. The Rochs who immigrated to Indy started the Roch Ironworks in downtown and were commissioned to do most of the wrought iron in the city. They did the stairs in the Soldiers and Sailors monument and the iron in the City Market. The old foundry used to be next to the power plant, where the jail is now.

I am also loosely related to Emilia Earhart. Some sort of distant cousin on my mom's side.

My dad's dad came from a family of Scott-Irish immigrants who didn't do much more than get drunk and break laws. I'm fairly certain the family name was made up at some point in order to avoid prosecution. The first names never changed though. They are all James William or William James.

My mom's family bears the same name as a town in Germany/Poland, Schlawin/Slowino. It's in the Pomeranian territory which traded hands a lot through the years.

My wife's family are all Irish all the way. They still have one of the original homesteads granted in Jamestown IN.

Military History

William James Meek - served in the Pacific Theatre in the US Army Air Corps as a belly gunner in a B-24J Liberator. Never saw any combat, thankfully.

Kenneth Leathers - served in the US Army Infantry in the European theatre, never talked about it.

Robert Gene Porter - served in the US Army Signal Corps in Korea

scan0001.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nothing earth shattering here. Mom's side 100% Dutch/German. Dad's side is a little more interesting, a good bit of Scots-Irish, a chunk of English, a dash of Shawnee, with pinch of Scandinavian and African. So, y'all get off my land and leave your reparations as you go! :):

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I once had an LDS member tell me with a straight face and in all seriousness that he had traced his line all the way to Adam. 240ish generations that is. Right. Myself, one side has been here since a 1732 boat ride from Glasgow. The other side is from Europe too and includes an early Sec Treas of the US.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I once had an LDS member tell me with a straight face and in all seriousness that he had traced his line all the way to Adam. 240ish generations that is. Right. Myself, one side has been here since a 1732 boat ride from Glasgow. The other side is from Europe too and includes an early Sec Treas of the US.

That's a neat trick! Did you subscribe to his newsletter?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You didn't even ask if he had some old family photos? Was Eve hot?? ;)

Excerpt from Adam's autobiography, Boy, I Sure Called That One Wrong.

So there I was not noticing much of anything about anything, just doing what I was told, when she handed me an apple and told me to eat it if I knew what was good for me. I didn't really know what was good for me or not good for me, but I did know that I was the designated Do What You're Told guy. So I took a bite from that apple and the next thing you know, all I could see was Full Bush. How the hell that escaped me since the freakin' dawn of Mankind I had no idea, but I was sure things would only get better from that moment on . . .

Top Bottom