• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Friday afternoon about 5, I was driving my 80,000 pound semi down US 12, about 8 miles west of Niles, MI headed to Laporte. As I rounded a bend and looked ahead, I saw a red pickup fishtailing. I figured he pulled out of a driveway and was just goofing around. I quickly realized this was not the case. He lost control and went back and forth until he backed it into the guardrail on my side of the road.

I had plenty of time to slow and stop. Traffic behind me did the same. I got out and asked if they were ok. 2 guys in their mid to late 20's. They said they were fine. I began to wonder if they were drinking or just being stupid. "It caught me off guard" said the driver. I looked down the road. A huge swan standing about 100 yards away. He had swerved to miss the bird. I scolded him. "NEVER SWERVE TO MISS ANYTHING BUT A PERSON. What if I had been 30 seconds further down the road? I would have killed you both!" That got his attention and he agreed.

Again I looked down the road. A narrow beam of sunlight was illuminating the swan. This time his head was straight up in the air and its wings were puffed out a bit. I wondered what he was thinking. "That was for my sister" or just a big F U all.

The guy started the banged up truck and got it out of the road. I got moving again and as I passed the spot where the swan had been, he was lazily getting into the lake. Job well done!

And then I laughed...... Hard.

images

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just had to do an online fifteen minute training about wildlife caused accidents. The training instructed to hit them instead of swerving to avoid them. Most accidents from wildlife are on country roads with 55 speed limits. People swerve to miss and then wind up in a head o with another vehicle or flipping when loosing control.

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    I was taught to never swerve to avoid hitting an animal. You always hit the animal. I did ask my boss once a simple question. If I saw a deer (say a nice 14 pointer) just how far off the road could I go to hit it before the accident looked suspicious;) He was not amused.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I completely agree when it comes to smaller animals, but larger ones can damage you nearly as much as you damage them. Just sayin...

JMN-10-31-Martoccio-Personal-Injury-Illinois-Crash-Fatalities-and-Injuries-Involving-Deer-Collisions-on-the-Decline.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have a runny nose and something in my eye right now. I just had a phone conversation with my nephew who is shipping out for Army special forces training tomorrow. We spoke about a lot of things but the highlights were always stay alert and safe, thank you for what you are committing to, and don't pass up an opportunity to communicate with your mom.

OOPS....wrong thread....

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    EXACTLY why I invested in this:
    SuburbanBrushGuard_zps1193ccb8.jpg

The intent is to save the plastic front end. If Bambi jumps, however, it won't make a difference.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    EXACTLY why I invested in this:
    SuburbanBrushGuard_zps1193ccb8.jpg

The intent is to save the plastic front end. If Bambi jumps, however, it won't make a difference.

Don't forget about the intent to also look awesome! :yesway: I once saw a dog run out in front of the car in front of me. When it realized what what about to happen, it jumped just enough to get above the bumper of the that car. The resulting impact launched that poor animal several feet in the air. When it came down, my windshield was its landing pad. Unfortunately, the dog did not survive but the only other damage was to my windshield.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I swerve to hit the animals. :D. I thought everybody else did too. :dunno:

You are not the only one. (hey kids fresh meat for supper!!!) Problem is they seem to move out of the way. I think they are waiting for the people who swerve to avoid them. Still hit them anyway as they hit a telephone pole too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Almost nailed an 8pt buck once with the 84 Thunderbird. Would've been a shame for the venison to go to waste. Or that head not to be on my wall...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Saw a goose try to come in low across I-94 several years ago. Crossed 3 lanes or so until..... BAM!.... and a cloud of feathers from the front of a semi tractor. I'll be that was a mess to clean up.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, I almost nailed a pheasant over in IL one time as well. Broke a headlight on a blackbird there. That state is a menace.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Moving pretty quick over a hill in the road, there was a big flock of birds in the road. When they heard me they took flight. It was like driving through flak. Think I hit at least 10 of them. Several across windshield, front grill, heard one boing off the antenna. Glad nothing was broken.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I knew a guy who got a cow-induction hood on his camaro while driving a back road.
    Dang!

I've only had one incident with a vehicle and animal. I was coming home from Cracker Barrel one night on a dark country road and a two deer ran out. I missed the first one but the second one, tagged it square on the front of the truck. Worst part was, it was my Dad's truck...I had permission to drive it but I couldn't believe I tor it up.

Top Bottom