• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Where are the Catholics on this? They are a big percentage of troops.

I am not calling out Catholics. I am asking have they made any statement.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This, I would've been ok with... well, if it were possible back in the 40s.

[video=youtube;KdTqDRZCLg4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdTqDRZCLg4[/video]

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As an Eagle scout, and parent I am not so sure about the changes that have been/are being made. Although, I admit to having some mixed feelings about it. When my stepson was old enough to join Boy Scouts, I signed him up in my old troop. I also signed up and volunteered my time. It was a good experience for both of us.
    At the same time, my daughter was in Girl scouts. She saw the boy and I going camping and doing a number of fun activities that she would have loved to do. But, the girl scouts didn't do doodly squat. They had one camping trip per year and their rules were ridiculous. So as a parent, I tried to give her as many similar experiences to what we did with BSA as I could.
    So, I really think IF a troop/pack does things right it could be a good thing. Now, from my understanding the program really isn't changing. They are creating a parallel program for girls, starting with Cub scouts. The last guidelines I have heard require them to have seperate dens, meet at separate times etc. So, it wouldn't exactly create as many obstacles as one might think.
    At the Boy Scout level (age 11-17) that would require much more regulation, facilities upgrades, parental involvement etc to be able to have any success and would no doubt be killed by the number of lawsuits/accusations. And, that is why it is only starting at the cub scout level at this point.
    I believe that so long as it is kept as a parallel program and they aren't sharing campgrounds/facilities at the same time it shouldn't be an issue.
    Since BSA gives the kids so much independence to do activities on their own, keeping the groups separate is the key. Different weeks at summer camp etc, could be done easy enough. I think it will struggle to take off as from my experience they may struggle to get adequate parent involvement as leaders and there may be issues in getting camp councilors to teach merit badges during girl only weeks..not quite sure how that would work.

I wouldn't condemn scouting just yet. This has potential to be a good thing for some young ladies as well as the boys. Fact is scouting has changed drastically over the years. I was in from age 7-17, then as an asst scoutmaster for 6 yrs. My brother joined @ age 8 and has been involved non stop since then and is now 42. He says it is amazing how much society has changed/ often weakened our boys/ young men.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As an Eagle scout, and parent I am not so sure about the changes that have been/are being made. Although, I admit to having some mixed feelings about it. When my stepson was old enough to join Boy Scouts, I signed him up in my old troop. I also signed up and volunteered my time. It was a good experience for both of us.
    At the same time, my daughter was in Girl scouts. She saw the boy and I going camping and doing a number of fun activities that she would have loved to do. But, the girl scouts didn't do doodly squat. They had one camping trip per year and their rules were ridiculous. So as a parent, I tried to give her as many similar experiences to what we did with BSA as I could.
    So, I really think IF a troop/pack does things right it could be a good thing. Now, from my understanding the program really isn't changing. They are creating a parallel program for girls, starting with Cub scouts. The last guidelines I have heard require them to have seperate dens, meet at separate times etc. So, it wouldn't exactly create as many obstacles as one might think.
    At the Boy Scout level (age 11-17) that would require much more regulation, facilities upgrades, parental involvement etc to be able to have any success and would no doubt be killed by the number of lawsuits/accusations. And, that is why it is only starting at the cub scout level at this point.
    I believe that so long as it is kept as a parallel program and they aren't sharing campgrounds/facilities at the same time it shouldn't be an issue.
    Since BSA gives the kids so much independence to do activities on their own, keeping the groups separate is the key. Different weeks at summer camp etc, could be done easy enough. I think it will struggle to take off as from my experience they may struggle to get adequate parent involvement as leaders and there may be issues in getting camp councilors to teach merit badges during girl only weeks..not quite sure how that would work.

I wouldn't condemn scouting just yet. This has potential to be a good thing for some young ladies as well as the boys. Fact is scouting has changed drastically over the years. I was in from age 7-17, then as an asst scoutmaster for 6 yrs. My brother joined @ age 8 and has been involved non stop since then and is now 42. He says it is amazing how much society has changed/ often weakened our boys/ young men.

Isn't this essentially the belief as to why the Boy Scouts were created in the first place?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Now, from my understanding the program really isn't changing. They are creating a parallel program for girls, starting with Cub scouts. The last guidelines I have heard require them to have seperate dens, meet at separate times etc. So, it wouldn't exactly create as many obstacles as one might think.

That's what I've read. I know some are on the "they are being PC" narrative, but honestly I think they realized if they doubled their available membership pool they might get more members. They see the writing on the wall, staying static will lead to their extinction. I've no idea if this will work in their favor or not, but at least they are trying to adapt and keep the organization alive.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Pretty easy prediction to make. They've been having serious membership declines for decades, and the trend has accelerated over the past 10 years. They have roughly half the members they did in the 1970s. Girl Scouts have the same problem. They've lost about 1/3 of their membership over the past 15 years, and that trend is also accelerating.

Changing demographics, more urbanization of kids, etc. Tough trend to turn around.
    I didnt even know all that. Just based my guess on the latest trends in the media involving them.
    I am actually very sad that I will not be able to watch my son become a boyscout (in it's current form) and follow a great PAST American tradition of manhood and right of passage. We will seek out other organizations that will develope patriotism and encourage boys to be boys and eventualy men.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

My parish sponsors one of the largest troops in the Calumet Council, may actually be the largest, I would call it a very vibrant and active troop. A lot of good kids, I think they are learning some valuable things about scouting, as well as character. Until now, I think they have managed to steer clear of the more controversial issues unscathed. I have wondered the same thing about how this will affect them, and of course my concern is that it will hurt them, but I would like to hear their take on it. I am planning to to speak with one of the troop leaders, Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Will provide feedback.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I was a scout, worked on staff at the summer camps, got my Eagle. It was a fantastic experience, and the older I got the more valuable I realized it was. It helped that I had some really good adult leaders, solid manly men. Favorite being the retired navy aviator, vet of three wars, lotsa fun but took no crap from kids either. Just the right guy to ride herd on a bunch of teenage boys.

I understand the surface logic about expanding the pool of eligible, but it won't work, it will morph into a feminist campaign against "toxic masculinity." BSA is dead, RIP.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That was an actual query. I was brought up Catholic and when I was a kid they would not have put up with this.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

I checked the National Catholic Committee on Scouting website and so far they haven't said anything.

Our catholic chartering organization, like many others, have opted to decline on the female membership at this time. Numerous catholic diocese dropped their charters 2013-2015 when the national BSA decided it was okay to allow adult homosexuals to join. Then the transgender policy came down the pike and more dumped their charters. The biggest reason charters are being dumped is the expectation of future lawsuits. The national BSA allows any chartering organization the right of refusal on any membership application, for any reason. The national BSA offers zero legal assistance in the event of a lawsuit. So you can see why some of these parish scouting units have disappeared.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It is a shame. I worked with Webelos in the 70's when I was a teen and I was a Scout Master in the 90's.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    This, I would've been ok with... well, if it were possible back in the 40s.

I was in the Scouts in the 50's and early 60's. I learned many basic skills and developed an appreciation for woodlands and orienteering. My oldest boy participated in Scouts for a couple of years. The skills were still being taught and the leadership of the local troop and council all seemed to be standup guys.

But, whaddaiknow? Who ever figured that priests would be doing what they've been doing? There is no joy in Mudville.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I wonder how many priests there are in America. I have been very close to many of them and never had any misgivings about them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wonder how many priests there are in America. I have been very close to many of them and never had any misgivings about them.

Honestly, priests are probably no more prone to "what we are talking about," than any other head of a religious denomination. However the very strict organization and hierarchy of the Catholic Church, makes every exposed instance, a scandal. It it happens at your local Methodist Church, the preacher goes to jail, people talk about how bad he is, but no one ever points fingers at the national organization.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If it's no longer just for boys, it's no longer the "Boy Scouts".
    So it's actually the Boy Scouts of America that "left" the organization.
    Forcing people who want organizations for boys to come up with another plans.

Top Bottom