• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    These dumbasses have likely ended their own organization.
    The fact they didn't have the spine to stand up for it makes them a joke IMO. I find it ironic that the Girl Scouts organization has more testicular fortitude on this issue than the Multigender Scouts of America do. GSA is correct in saying this will harm their organization.
    At least that my take on it.
    Silly PC ruining it for everyone. I mean what's next, everyone gets to be a cheerleader????

Like Denny said, it's going out of style. People are increasingly valuing other things than what scouting teaches. It's becoming obsolete. I don't think that's a great thing.

However, I don't really think it's necessarily a bad thing to have coed scouting. When I was a religious person, the church I attended had it's own scouting type group with a religious focus. Because there weren't enough kids to justify it, nor enough resources anyway, to have separate groups, it was coed. I volunteered with them for a couple of years. You make it work. We had men and women leaders. Just keep boys and girls separate when they need to be separate. And keep them appropriately supervised otherwise.

You don't have to water down requirements. We had the equivalent of merit badges. Girls tended to want to earn the ones that interested them. Boys tended to want to earn different ones. And there was a lot of overlap on things both liked.

Some of the new common social norms are pretty GLOCKed up. But some are just a natural social evolution. BSA will need to figure out how to exist. Adding girls to the mix is a way to increase membership to keep it afloat, if people are open-minded enough to make it work. It can be done. Coed scouting doesn't have to be the end of scouting.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, but BSA already made that change a while back. :):

Well, yes they decided to evolve enough to allow openly gay kids. But, there were always gays in Boy Scouts..they were just in the proverbial closet.
    Now, I do agree that it goes against th whole morally straight part of the scout law. But they were always there.
    They were talking about allowing gays and about forming a coed structure since at least the early 90s when I was a scout.
    Also, scouting is still in many countries..and they are pretty much all coed programs. So it can work

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm guessing youths will still get more action on the average church youth retreat than will be going down at coed meetings in the basement of city hall. Young girls can benefit as much from scouts as young boys. I can remember going to a few scout meetings that were ran solely by moms, so why not just let it be a family group that teaches skills and gives kids guidance? A bunch of macho horseshi* going on with these people pulling their kids out of troops. These kids dgaf if there is a girl building a soapbox car next to them. Almost all of the local scout groups are ran by women to this day.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Trail Life is an option for parents/boys who liked the ideals of the yesteryear BSA... that whole concept of, "A Scout is...reverent".

American Heritage Girls is the female version (as if the name didn't make that clear).

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Uhh, yeah about that...boys have been doing that for decades already.

Yeah, but BSA already made that change a while back. :):

Well, yes they decided to evolve enough to allow openly gay kids.

No, you guys misunderstood and/or I didn't give enough info. My comment was not about gay scouts. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I could be wrong. Gay Scouts put in the same work for the merit badges, gay or male cheerleaders have to try out to make the team again, same work, etc...

I am talking about everyone that wants to , gets to be a cheeleader.

https://www.app.com/story/news/educ...ol-everyone-join-cheerleading-team/589616002/

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is important to realize that NO ONE is asking the Girls Scouts to admit boys.
    In today's America, you can exclude the boys, but not the girls.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It is important to realize that NO ONE is asking the Girls Scouts to admit boys.

I'm pretty sure there has been boys wanting to join the Girl Scouts.

I've snuck into a couple of Girl Scout tents when I was a Webelos, does that count? :rolleyes:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Ok, I will go with..Idk if it's accurate to say no one is asking the girl scouts to accept boys. But, is part of that because girl scouts often don't offer the same experiences?
    But you are right, in todays America you can exclude boys but not girls...or pretty much anyone except a straight heterosexual male. How many ladies only fitness centers are there? Or fitness centers with a ladies only work out area? This crap goes well beyond just our youth. It has spilled over into our youth unfortunately.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok, I will go with..Idk if it's accurate to say no one is asking the girl scouts to accept boys. But, is part of that because girl scouts often don't offer the same experiences?
    But you are right, in todays America you can exclude boys but not girls...or pretty much anyone except a straight heterosexual male. How many ladies only fitness centers are there? Or fitness centers with a ladies only work out area? This crap goes well beyond just our youth. It has spilled over into our youth unfortunately.

Don't forget ladies only firearm training classes.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, you guys misunderstood and/or I didn't give enough info. My comment was not about gay scouts. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I could be wrong. Gay Scouts put in the same work for the merit badges, gay or male cheerleaders have to try out to make the team again, same work, etc...

I am talking about everyone that wants to , gets to be a cheeleader.

https://www.app.com/story/news/educ...ol-everyone-join-cheerleading-team/589616002/

It was a joke. You knew. Implying male cheerleaders are ghey.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget ladies only firearm training classes.

OK, if you doing something that might make you feel self conscious or inadequate, you'd probably like to do that in a group of your peers who might be feeling the same way. Hence, ladies only firearms classes to keep the ladies more comfortable. Men only baby care classes for the same reason.
    I believe both boys and girls deserve a place where they can learn to be men and women without the other gender around to complicate things.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    OK, if you doing something that might make you feel self conscious or inadequate, you'd probably like to do that in a group of your peers who might be feeling the same way. Hence, ladies only firearms classes to keep the ladies more comfortable. Men only baby care classes for the same reason.
    I believe both boys and girls deserve a place where they can learn to be men and women without the other gender around to complicate things.
    Ah, but vive la difference! ;)

Top Bottom