• ...and so much more!
  • MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    It may very well be legal to have a gun on the north property, but you said it is where jr. high and high school have their youth group activities, which to me implies it is a school function. I agree with Joe that is is probably not off limits all the time, but more than likely during those school functions

Youth groups in church(at least this church) have nothing to do with schools. No more so than a group of kids getting together at McDonalds, Dairy Queen or any other place. Church youth groups DO NOT meet the definition of school in the Indiana Code.

As far as were to park? If you have a gun in the car, park over at Wright's Gymnastics or park on the street on the south side of the campus. Shortly it won't make any difference anyway....;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Right... Discussion only.

But it is indeed a sticky wicket when a church owns two properties separated by a city street.

1 property = school for sure
    2nd property = ???

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Indy_Guy_77 how about you OC or CC to the 2nd property and let us know when you are going to do it. We will then call the police on you and you can be the first INGO test case. :D Come on take 1 for the team. :rockwoot:;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Indy_Guy_77 how about you OC or CC to the 2nd property and let us know when you are going to do it. We will then call the police on you and you can be the first INGO test case. :D Come on take 1 for the team. :rockwoot:;)
    Yes, test case sounds perfect!!! We really need to clear this up; and I can't think of any better situation than this to help us to clear it up.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Eh, the whole thing will soon be moot for ME, as I'll soon be "authorized" by those in charge, to carry a handgun on the church/school property as I'm a member of our churches "security team".

But that's only a handful of us.

And according to many folks, many many many other people carry at the church every Sunday out of sheer ignorance of Indiana law. (I've personally never detected anyone carrying...even those who I know to be LEO)

The point of this thread was just to pose another scenario in which the I.C. just isn't clear. Either your laws are fully defined as to eliminate gray areas, or those laws need stricken due to their inherent ambiguity.

-J-

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    Church necessities: a Bible and a handgun.

This is my first post. Someone straighten me out if I violate any protocols.

I carry to curch: a Bible and a handgun. I carry my handgun "religiously." (Pun intended.) That includes Sunday morning worship, Praise Band practice, meetings, and when I go to work in the music library. I don't ask if I'm allowed to carry. I don't tell any body I'm carrying. I just do it. Does that make me a bad person? Am I breaking some law? I hope not.

I really feel like I need to carry a defense weapon. I've been fired upon several times over the years, the last time in April of 2004. During my attacker's trial, I was chased, run off the road, and threatened several times by his "homies." The rear window of my van even got shot out. I feel that if anyone needs to carry, it's me.

Don't get me wrong. I belileve in prayer. But I also believe I need to do MY part, as well. So, I pray -- but "I keep my powder dry," as they say.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is my first post. Someone straighten me out if my violate any protocols.

I carry to curch: a Bible and a handgun. I carry my handgun "religiously." (Pun intended.) That includes Sunday morning worship, Praise Band practice, meetings, and when I go to work in the music library. I don't ask if I'm allowed to carry. I don't tell any body I'm carrying. I just do it. Does that make me a bad person? Am I breaking some law? I hope not.

I really feel like I need to carry a defense weapon. I've been fired upon several times over the years, the last time in April of 2004. During my attacker's trial, I was chased, run off the road, and threatened several times by his "homies." The rear window of my van even got shot out. I feel that if anyone needs to carry, it's me.

Don't get me wrong. I belileve in prayer. But I also believe I need to do MY part, as well. So, I pray -- but "I keep my powder dry," as they say.

Whether or not you're violating any laws all depends on if there is any kind of legally defined school and/or daycare at your church.

And I certainly hope there isn't!!

Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Either your laws are fully defined as to eliminate gray areas, or those laws need stricken due to their inherent ambiguity.

-J-

Sadly this is a close to impossible task to due when writing laws/policies. Because if you wrote a law/policy to cover every possible siutation the law/policy would be hundreds of thousands of pages long. In addition this is why we have courts.

Yes I understand your fustration and I too don't like the gray areas but in any type of law/policy this occurs. I sit on a policy board for an online organization and we deal with this a lot. Policies that we first set 3-4 years ago that were very clear then are now either gray (due ot tech changes) or becuase of the way we now do things or becuase we failed to see some situations whic the policy would interact with at the time since we were focused on the policy doing something else.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    What's your definition of 'shortly'? :D

* this post made in view of the Rocky Mountains at Salt Lake City Airport. I'm on Vacation suckers!:rockwoot:

Little birdie told me things will be finalized in the next 4-6 weeks... We shall see. So, are you CCing or OCing while on vacation?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Little birdie told me things will be finalized in the next 4-6 weeks... We shall see. So, are you CCing or OCing while on vacation?

Neither, Nevada doesn't recognize IN LTCH. Apparently, they dropped UT and FL out of state licenses last year, too. I could get a NV non-resident permit, but it would involve a day of taking NV's CCW course here in NV. Not enough time for that, this vacation anyway.

And, since we had to fly to get here, I'm not even carrying a pocket knife. I'm feeling a bit naked.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Neither, Nevada doesn't recognize IN LTCH. Apparently, they dropped UT and FL out of state licenses last year, too. I could get a NV non-resident permit, but it would involve a day of taking NV's CCW course here in NV. Not enough time for that, this vacation anyway.

And, since we had to fly to get here, I'm not even carrying a pocket knife. I'm feeling a bit naked.
    Do you, or a person with you on your trip (wife, girlfriend etc) have long hair? Many of these have been carried on airplanes... Honey Comb : Cold Steel (High Performance Knives)

Top Bottom