Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yes?

I have friends in Starke County and visit from time to time, but I do not live there.

It sounds like something in your lane. Should I be surprised that a rural county in Indiana is going anti-2A at the taxpayers expense?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    So what drives this need to restrict firearm carry in government buildings? Are the employees that afraid of their employers?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If I remember correctly from the news stories, the commissioners felt they needed additional security during meetings that were held at the annex. However, additional security was only being requested for Commissioner and county council meetings...not planning commission, BZA, PTABOA, etc. that also meet there.

I wonder if these restrictions will also apply to those who are on the boards...such as the commissioners.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If I remember correctly from the news stories, the commissioners felt they needed additional security during meetings that were held at the annex. However, additional security was only being requested for Commissioner and county council meetings...not planning commission, BZA, PTABOA, etc. that also meet there.

I wonder if these restrictions will also apply to those who are on the boards...such as the commissioners.
    Does it matter if the restriction violates state law?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

They could have their meetings in a school, or do they know GFZs, aren't?

We had some very contentious zoning board meetings here recently. Two of the meetings (that my wife and I attended) had uniformed Avon PD inside as well as in the parking lot. These meetings were standing room only to overflowing. It got quite heated but we managed to survive without metal detectors.

IIRC Kentucky gun law has some crazy exception for only being allowed to carry at a meeting like this if you're on the board. Lets not copy Kentucky...

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Minutes have been posted:http://www.co.starke.in.us/commissioners1/Minutes/2018/12-17-19 FINAL.rtf

ORDINANCE FOR ENHANCED SECURITY FOR STARKE COUNTY ANNEX BUILDING 1

Attorney Lucas advised he is presenting the Ordinance for Enhanced Security at the County Annex Building # 1 which is an addition to the original security ordinance 2011-3. In that ordinance, he noted, deals with the court buildings but now that the Annex Building will have a staffed metal detector/scanner he states of the need to add that building. He also noted the original ordinance was a weapons ordinance and it banned firearms but if a person has a gun permit they are to show that at the entrance to the building but guns are not to be exposed at a meeting in the Annex Building. He stated this addition to the original ordinance was only for the Annex Building. He advised the Commissioners that they could suspend the rules and pass the ordinance without a public hearing or additional readings. Commissioner Chesak made a motion to suspend the rules and approve the Ordinance of Enhanced Security for Starke County Annex 1. Commissioner Norem seconded the motion and it passed with all ayes.

Nothing yet on the Ordinance page with the actual text.

I'm pretty sure they can't prohibit OC while allowing CC...

And it's pretty stinky that they're suspending rules and passing things like this under the table.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Thanks for posting that. I guess I need to start reading their meeting minutes again. I haven't been doing that so much since some of the boards don't bother to post them anymore even when people ask to see them.

Top Bottom