• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    An issue spotting exam, see if you can spot all the safety problems here.

Intoxicated man wants to show that his pistol is unloaded so he depresses the trigger and kills a woman on the other side of the wall.

Eez gon, eez not safe. Everytime you handle the weapon, the weapon can discharge. In fact you should anticipate it going bang every single time you handle it, load it, or unloade it. Have a safe backstop, even in a home.

A sand barrel, and stack of phone books wrapped in duct tape, something other than drywall with human beings behind it.

UPDATE: Redmond Shooting Victim Was 2010 Eastlake High Graduate - Kirkland, WA Patch

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Geez, Kirk; sounds way too much like the pastor's daughter shot in the head on Sunday by an idiot showing off his gun, instead of leaving it in the holster. Two noticable differences: the pastor's daughter is still alive (barely), and that idiot was not reported as intoxicated.

Every time I hear of one of these, I get sick to my stomach and angry.
    Ugh!

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    I was just talking with aronhubbard about safety this morning and expressed my sentiment that complacency is the number one reason for negligence. People forget the basics and become too comfortable with dangerous equipment and their vigilance lapses, or they never acquired a healthy respect for firearms in the first place.

And yet many people wonder why I always stress the basics of firearms safety, every time I handle one.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It is really a shame and a waste. I have the safety rules posted on the wall near where I store my guns (under lock). My wife doesn't shoot but she knows the rules and can repeat them verbatim.

Maybe there should be a test when you purchase a firearm.

Q: Is it loaded?

A: Yes (any other answer is incorrect)

The story about the pastor's daughter brings up another topic. If someone wants to see my gun I tell them NO. It stays in the holster until I need to shoot it or put it away. How many people have been shot by a gun that someone was "just looking at"?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, how terrible! The guy started out attempting to do the right thing...then apparently the alcohol kicked in, disaster.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That's so tragic...both of them just getting started in life. I can't say that I've always made good decisions when drinking. :( It's why I'd rather drink moderately at home, with the guns put away. The older I get the more I see how fragile life is.
    It always amazes me how these AD/NDs kill someone. Of all the things the bullet could hit, it seems to find the most lethal path.
    I've really been thinking about such things a lot lately. I remember showing a gun to somebody at an outdoor party, standing behind our truck. It seemed OK at the time, but later, I was ashamed and mad at myself.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Beating dead horse?

I have been accused of beating a dead horse by harping on:
    Quit doing "Show and Tell" It is not cool. It is both stupid and dangerous. Kirk calls it "coonfingering."

If that is beating a dead horse, then I will continue as long as people keep shooting and killing others "coonfingering" or "showing and telling."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was just talking with aronhubbard about safety this morning and expressed my sentiment that complacency is the number one reason for negligence. People forget the basics and become too comfortable with dangerous equipment and their vigilance lapses, or they never acquired a healthy respect for firearms in the first place.

And yet many people wonder why I always stress the basics of firearms safety, every time I handle one.

:+1: "complacency KILLS".......a favorite motto of Marine combat instructors

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Thank God I was sober

I didn't read the article (it makes me sick to even think about, much less read an actual event), so I don't know the specifics, but from the comments, I can infer. I believe I had a similar incident. No harge, and I wasn't the one behind the gun, but I still feel responsible.

Long story short, I had purchased some new guns, and a friend wanted to see them. I triple checked, and pinky checked all of them before he touched anything. I positioned myself between my friend and all ammo. I hand him my pump 12 ga, after showing him how to hold/use it in a safe direction. What is the first thing his dumb a$$ does, but turn, leave the bedroom and point it at our friends playing cards and pulls the frigging trigger. The entire place unleashed on him, then turned on me as it was my gun, and I should have told him not to point it at anyone.

Every time I see one of these articles, I think about how close I came to being in one.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    An issue spotting exam, see if you can spot all the safety problems here.

Intoxicated man wants to show that his pistol is unloaded so he depresses the trigger and kills a woman on the other side of the wall.

Eez gon, eez not safe. Everytime you handle the weapon, the weapon can discharge. In fact you should anticipate it going bang every single time you handle it, load it, or unloade it. Have a safe backstop, even in a home.

A sand barrel, and stack of phone books wrapped in duct tape, something other than drywall with human beings behind it.

UPDATE: Redmond Shooting Victim Was 2010 Eastlake High Graduate - Kirkland, WA Patch

Everyone needs to be kicked in the butt every so often. We have to review safety rules 3 - 4 times per year and get tested. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a safety thread just to remind everyone.

Thanks Kirk. I'll keep my tank away from your chickens for a while.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Prosecutors pointed to De Jong's prior criminal convictions in requesting $300,000 bail. He has been convicted of DUI, being a minor intoxicated in public, and two incidents of being a minor in possession of alcohol.
    There's your pattern. I wonder how long he had his permit before this wreckless incident.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a safety thread just to remind everyone.
    Backed 100%

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    motivator9924694.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a safety thread just to remind everyone.

Im not sure it would change anything, we do have threads about safety all the time.Kirk alone is known to have started countless threads on the subjects.
    Talking about sand barrels and other things.
    But those idiots who play with guns and ignore all safety rules will never read those threads.
    They will learn the hard way by killing someone or themselves.

It's always good to have a reminder and talk about gun safety among ourselves but I think that us "gun guys" on this forum already know and follow those rules.
    We need to educate people outside our circle.

:twocents:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Im not sure it would change anything, we do have threads about safety all the time.Kirk alone is known to have started countless threads on the subjects.
    Talking about sand barrels and other things.
    But those idiots who play with guns and ignore all safety rules will never read those threads.
    They will learn the hard way by killing someone or themselves.

It's always good to have a reminder and talk about gun safety among ourselves but I think that us "gun guys" on this forum already know and follow those rules.
    We need to educate people outside our circle.

:twocents:

Everyone need to be told from time to time. When I handle my weapon, my trigger finger looks funny stickin straight out.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Once again, as I drill my kids several times a year: What is the most dangerous gun there is?? The UNLOADED gun.

This always goes to Rule number 1, the gun is ALWAYS LOADED. There are NO EXCEPTIONS ! ! ! ! ! !

Then we have Rule number 2: NEVER point the gun at anything that you do not intend to kill or destroy.

There is also my own personal philosophy that, when not locked up, the best place for a gun is in it's holster. Until, it is time not to be. The more time the weapon spends outside of either and in someone's hands the greater the chance of a ND/AD.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Let's all learn the word of the day together:

realview.jpg

That's the thing you use at home if there is no other way to have a safe direction to dry fire your gun.
    In most apartements or houses you dont have a safe direction to do that.Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, alone.

APC-100Tmain.jpg

The four safety rules tell us that we should always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, especially when we are about to pull the trigger (know your target and what behind).
    Drywalls are not bulletproof and people can be behind them.
    The only way to make sure that you have a safe direction to point your firearm at is to have a safe backstop.
    Something that will stop the type of rounds you are using.
    Like Kirk said it over and over again, a sand barrel or phone books work well for that.
    Used kevlar panels from an old ballistic vests could work as well (as long as you use the proper protection for the proper caliber, dont use a .50 cal and a IIIA panel).

You have many homemade or commercial solutions to create a safe backstop at home.

452_CAB-H_Stand_use_crop-283x300.jpg

phonepbook1.jpg

gen-purpose-ballistic-vest.jpg

garden_sand_bag.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have to review safety rules 3 - 4 times per year and get tested. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a safety thread just to remind everyone.

Or, we could sing the Four Rules song (ok, it's more of a kirtan):

My gun is loaded yes it is;
    This one is Kirk's and so is his.

I'll point my gun at nothing at all;
    If I must I'll point at a brick wall.

My finger is nice and straight;
    In this I never hesitate.

I know my target and what is behind;
    I sing this song to always remind.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts