• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a primer detonate in my 650XL. It's happened twice before with no bad results, but this time the primer follower rod blew out the top. It's messed up, along with the internal large pistol primer tube.

I've emailed Dillon, awaiting results. I understand it's more than likely warranty eligible, but that's not the whole issue. I need this machine up and running ASAP. Also, a major lesson learned from this is that I need to have a backup set of these parts.

Local dealers; do you folks have these parts on hand?

...and here are some interesting pix, for your viewing pleasure;

2011-07-18_18-53-35_706.jpg
    2011-07-18_18-50-37_924.jpg

BTW - I would strongly recommend eye protection when loading. That could well be the reason I can see to type this.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im new to progressive reloading and bought a 650xl. im having a heck of a time with my priming system doing exactly whay yours is doing. i haven't had any blow but alot crush. i called dillon and they always send me replacement parts and say primers are getting bad about being uniform in size.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Burl.....you are welcome to grab your toolhead and come up here and use mine. Just give me a heads up when you are coming through. I imagine you are loading up for FNS?

I loaded my first few hundred rounds the other night on my new 650xl.....almost 10% had either a crushed or sideways primer....:dunno:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I had a primer detonate in my 650XL. It's happened twice before with no bad results, but this time the primer follower rod blew out the top. It's messed up, along with the internal large pistol primer tube.

I've emailed Dillon, awaiting results. I understand it's more than likely warranty eligible, but that's not the whole issue. I need this machine up and running ASAP. Also, a major lesson learned from this is that I need to have a backup set of these parts.

Local dealers; do you folks have these parts on hand?

...and here are some interesting pix, for your viewing pleasure;

2011-07-18_18-53-35_706.jpg
    2011-07-18_18-50-37_924.jpg

BTW - I would strongly recommend eye protection when loading. That could well be the reason I can see to type this.

Burl,
    damn, I'm glad you are OK! Wish I could help you out.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Burl, just for kicks, try CCI primers and see if they seat more easily.

Also, I know a lot of folks use Winchester primers because they are "supposedly" easier to ignite, that just might be the cause of your detonation problem.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville

Also, I know a lot of folks use Winchester primers because they are "supposedly" easier to ignite, that just might be the cause of your detonation problem.

FWIW, CCI is what was giving me fits....

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Glad you are ok, that can be scary stuff. I am certain Dillion will make it right. They do sell spare parts kits, of which I have a couple. Id be glad to give you all the parts I have doubles of, or if you lean on the Dillion guys, they may send you 2 of the parts in question.

I have had similiar primer issues recently and thought it was due to my press being out of adjustment, apparently not.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Good advice. I have 300 on hand. No reason not to give them a try after I'm back up and running. I've always stuck with Winchester on the idea, "if it aint broke,..."
    Well it's broke now.:):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

i have used cci in my 650xl so far. im going to switch to the next kind i fine. so far my record is 20 rds without crushing some.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN

I have never heard that Winchester were easier to ignite but I have heard that about Federal. Thanks Craig. I will keep that in mind.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    looks like to me that it's out of time.....grit,powder,and the little star thingys from spent primers will get under the shell plate and get it out of time.....primer gets shoved into edge of shell plate or casin' and not the primer hole then...KABOOM!!!......i break mine down and clean it after 2500rd's or when i change caliber which ever comes first....or if you loadin' 45ACP and you hit a small primer one.....25k + from me on my 650 and the guy i got it from ran over 100k......no pops from him or me....:twocents:

btw glad you weren't hurt!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    looks like to me that it's out of time.....grit,powder,and the little star thingys from spent primers will get under the shell plate and get it out of time.....primer gets shoved into edge of shell plate or casin' and not the primer hole then...KABOOM!!!......i break mine down and clean it after 2500rd's or when i change caliber which ever comes first....or if you loadin' 45ACP and you hit a small primer one.....25k + from me on my 650 and the guy i got it from ran over 100k......no pops from him or me....:twocents:

btw glad you weren't hurt!!

how do you re time the machine? sorry to steal your thread bw but ive got about 100 rds down mine and it constantly jams.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Describe the jam.

primers get jammed up under the plate that spins holding the primer. somtimes i bend the arm that turns that plate, somtimes i take it apart and clean it out.

also somtimes the plate that turns and holds the primers gets off center and i cant pull down the handle because the pin that pushes the primer into the case is off center and hits the plate.

(sorry for all the wrong part names)

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    primers get jammed up under the plate that spins holding the primer. somtimes i bend the arm that turns that plate, somtimes i take it apart and clean it out.

also somtimes the plate that turns and holds the primers gets off center and i cant pull down the handle because the pin that pushes the primer into the case is off center and hits the plate.

(sorry for all the wrong part names)
    The plate being off center is normally a result of it not indexing. Ensure that the arm that you bent is bent back to it's correct position.

First, clear any/all debris that would prevent the primer plate from indexing, if there is any. When reattaching the primer assembly, do not tighten down the 2 bolts that hold it in place. Tighten them to the point that the primer assembly is just a little bit loose. Try that and report back.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The plate being off center is normally a result of it not indexing. Ensure that the arm that you bent is bent back to it's correct position.

First, clear any/all debris that would prevent the primer plate from indexing, if there is any. When reattaching the primer assembly, do not tighten down the 2 bolts that hold it in place. Tighten them to the point that the primer assembly is just a little bit loose. Try that and report back.

ill give it a shot, i didn't bend back any primer arms but dillon has been great about sending me new ones (yes ones is plural)

Top Bottom