• ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Burl
    bring your dies up and you can use my 550 to load up ammo for the state match
    I have an extra tool head with powder measure that you can use
    we will just have to switch it over to LP primers

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    You guys are talking me out of getting a 650...

oh NO get a 650 best loader out there.....just with any machine you have to do maintenance....

as far as out of time.....all the crap under the shell plate is what throw's them out of time....vette does yours run smooth or does it jerk through the stations?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    oh NO get a 650 best loader out there.....just with any machine you have to do maintenance....

as far as out of time.....all the crap under the shell plate is what throw's them out of time....vette does yours run smooth or does it jerk through the stations?

smooth but the crap gets under the plate every 20ish primers. its probably somthing im doing wrong and dillon has sent me replacement parts no questions ask, its just flusterating spending money on the best and it not running right

i got it in november and have loaded 100 rds on it and spent many many flusterating hours on it. i haven't even messed with it in a month or so. i dont get alot of time to do bulk reloading, and the time i do get seams to be working on the machine not reloading.

dont get me wrong im not knocking dillon. they have bent over backwards trying to help me with my issues. im not sure if i got a lemon or im just screwing it up.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    smooth but the crap gets under the plate every 20ish primers. its probably somthing im doing wrong and dillon has sent me replacement parts no questions ask, its just flusterating spending money on the best and it not running right

i got it in november and have loaded 100 rds on it and spent many many flusterating hours on it. i haven't even messed with it in a month or so. i dont get alot of time to do bulk reloading, and the time i do get seams to be working on the machine not reloading.

dont get me wrong im not knocking dillon. they have bent over backwards trying to help me with my issues. im not sure if i got a lemon or im just screwing it up.

i wish you wasn't a 150 miles away or i would come and help you out......what are you loadin'?.....what kind of crap?.......spent primer crap?....powder?....

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    This may or may not be an option for everyone, but if you load mostly all 1 caliber, you can ship the machine to Dillion and they will do all the little adjustments for that caliber and ship it back that way. A couple years ago I got all the adjustments a little fudged, and rather than fight with it, I shipped it to them and when it got back, I bolted it to the bench and it ran like a dream.

I would also never let anything deter anyone from buying Dillion, They are light years ahead of anything else on the market. Most major pistol matches take equipment surveys and I have never seen Dillion represent less than 95% of shooters in attendance. They have the best customer service anywhere in any industry and they give back to the shooting sports more than anyone. But, like all machines, they will only be as good as the person operating them. It does take a small nack, and sometimes a call to HQ to get them set up right. Dont be afraid to call them and ask questions over the phone while sitting in front of your machine, they guys at the help line are extrodinary.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i wish you wasn't a 150 miles away or i would come and help you out......what are you loadin'?.....what kind of crap?.......spent primer crap?....powder?....

i bought the machine with the intended ppurpose of loading 556-9mm-40-45 but so far just 556. im not even sizing and decapping threw it because i needed to trim all my brass so i just sized and decapped on my forster and trimed it so the sizing die is in the tool head but way to loose to do anything.

the crap under the plate is crushed primers and primer pieces.

" This may or may not be an option for everyone, but if you load mostly all 1 caliber, you can ship the machine to Dillion and they will do all the little adjustments for that caliber and ship it back that way. A couple years ago I got all the adjustments a little fudged, and rather than fight with it, I shipped it to them and when it got back, I bolted it to the bench and it ran like a dream."

i didn't know that was a option. that may be what i need to do

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You guys are talking me out of getting a 650...

This is making sense to me. I have never had this part of the machine apart. I had a primer detonate early on while learning to feel the primer pockets. After that, nearly three years and 13000+ rounds produced without a glitch, other than the occasional crushed primer.

I was running pretty fast and set off a primer at the start of the session Friday. I proceeded on to the multi-detonation 250 rounds later.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been wondering what was up with Dillon. I sent them an email from their site on Monday and have yet to hear anything back. Guess what come in the mail today, with no explanation? :yesway: Yeah Dillon!

2011-07-21_10-44-38_291.jpg

I'm still looking to buy a backup internal LP primer tube and primer follower rod. Local dealers?

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ya, I dunno about my 'Dillon confidence' now. Can anyone say with certainty this is a high volume 650 issue only? My interest is in a 550 for low volume.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Ya, I dunno about my 'Dillon confidence' now. Can anyone say with certainty this is a high volume 650 issue only? My interest is in a 550 for low volume.

I have a 550 and the priming system is a little different.
    and slower
    I wish I had purchased a 650. The issue being discussed is rare, and Mr Frame has run 20,000 or so rounds through his 650 without issue

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I rocked out a bunch of rounds on mine the other night and only have about 5 per 1000 that had primer issues. Of those most were crimped 9mm brass that snuck in....

It was just a small learning curve coming from the 550 for me. I adjusted my technique a hair and GTG!

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010

I run a 550, and I'm 100% satisfied with the machine. I actually prefer that the 550 isn't auto-indexing, and I prefer the slightly slower pace of the machine. Those preferences are NOT to imply anything negative about the 650, just that the more moderate pace and manual indexing appeal to my temperament.

But you're also talking to a guy who runs a traditional chemical darkroom and operates roll-film cameras. Whether in photography or reloading, I guess, the slower, less automated, process (and greater control) of things appeals to my temperament. But I digress.

Burl, I'm glad you're OK!! You probably don't remember me, but I've shot in your group several times at FNS over the years. I remember you because you're always winning! :):

Like others, I have also been the beneficiary over the years of Dillon's extraordinary warranty and customer service. To any of you who are new to Dillon, it really is nothing short of amazing the way they stand behind their products.

As there has been kind of a running tally of primer brands / issues in this thread, I'll throw in my own small data point: I mainly use Federal 150 LP primers in my .45ACP loads, with very few instances of crooked / mis-seated primers. And when I do run into this, it's as likely as not that the brass primer pocket was dirty or misshapen. So, anecdotally, I've had good success with Fed 150s. :)

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I didn't read the whole thread or even where you are from but try Len at Len's gun shop in South Bend. He has dillon machines and does specialty loads. He might have the parts you need. Definitly has the knowledge base.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have both the 550 (20+ years) and the 650 (less than 1 year). I've learned the 550 is more forgiving than the 650. Never have detonated a primer in the 650, I have in the 550. I had a few primers early on when the 650 was new that didn't line up correctly and discovered it was me trying to line the bullet up on the case before it was fully in position. By me dragging slightly on the shell plate this prevented it from lining up correctly.

I only run 9 and 45 on this press and everything else on my 550. Since I'm changing between these two I'm always changing from large to small primers so I keep all of the priming system clean. I can't believe you ran over 13000 rounds through that machine without cleaning the primer system. That says a lot for how well Dillons are made.

Glad you are OK and looks like you are back in business again. You can't beat Dillon's no BS warranty!

Top Bottom