• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Watch out with Optics Planet. I have found MUCH of their ads very misleading. Even when you "Contact us n chat" for better pricing, they turn around and tell you it's already including.

The big key is that Black Friday is a couple of weeks off. That's a couple of weeks to add a little money, then jump a sale.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    OP, I recently finished upgrading all my defensive rifles with Vortex Optics. I went with them for value, quality, lots of options and the lifetime warranty. I chose 2 different scopes with the same reticles for my medium to long range setups and one with a reticle that would be fast into action for self defense and competion for my short range rifle.
    I have the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x FFP with the EBR-1 MOA reticle on my 20" AR. It is the first Generation, but still carries the same lifetime warranty. AA Optics has refurbished ones for $560, which also carries the Lifetime Warranty. I have 2 refurbished PST's and they are great scopes for a whole lot less money.
    If you still want a 1-4x or 1-6x for your 20" rifle, I can recommend the Viper PST 1-4x. It is second focal plane, but has a 1 MOA red dot in the center of the reticle. AA OPtics has these refurbished for $330. Both of the scopes I mentioned have exposed turrets, positive click adjustment, and zero stop features. In the 1-6x scope, the Vortex Strike Eagle is a good choice, and can be had for $245 on AA's refurbished page and new for $329. You get alot of scope for your money there. The 1-8x Strike Eagle is $449 new, so depending on your budget, that might be a better option for you 20" rifle.
    I know I am coming off as a Vortex fanboy, but I bought several different optics because they were cheap, and were not happy with them. I did alot of research before settling on Vortex and I really feel that for the money, you get a whole lot of quality and options.
    My only non-Vortex scope is on my house rifle. It is a Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x FFP with the "Throwdown" lever. The reticle is awesome on it, virtually identical to the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x, but it does not have zero stops or locking turrets. It does have really good glass for the money, but I do not think it is as robust as the Vortex scopes.

Just my opinion, but I'd take better glass over more magnification. The PST 1-4 is discontinued and going for $350 new from Cabelas, and $330 refurb from AA (and possibly cheaper next week). There's no way I'd pick a StrikeEagle over the PST if prices are similar. Now if you have extra $ and really want the 1-6, you probably can pick up the Gen 2 PST for ~$630. That is an great scope as well.

Top Bottom